Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Turbo S for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damian, in the 1950s there was a Spanish concern named ENASA that built some of the most sophisticated sportscars the world had ever seen under the direction of an automotive engineering wizard who had cut his teeth at Alfa Romeo between the Wars.

ENASA was basically a truck manufacturer, but the original plan was to build 200 cars as a training scheme for the plant's workers. In short, only 89 cars were built (substantially more than the 968 Turbo S), and today they are much sought after. The Pebble Beach concours featured the marque in 1994 and there is an ongoing effort on the part of enthusiasts to track down every car and make public its status.

In the 40+ years since they were built, indeed many of the cars were "chopped up and tossed around through a few hands before making it to random parts buyers," but today you can understand that many serious connoisseurs of the marque would have a less impossible task in restoring what cars are left if those random parts buyers hadn't bought them for their own use. If you appreciate classic cars, as I'm sure you do, I think you may agree that it's a matter of principle, not chance.

Much as I would like to have a part from a 968 Turbo S enhancing my own Porsche, I'd rather pass up the opportunity in hope that it will eventually make its way back where it belongs.

Regards.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:51 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Luis, a good part can either be saved in the right hands or destroyed in the wrong hands. At the time the engine was available, I had no clue that it had any ties to this car. I bought it with the understanding that it was a rare 968 turboRS engine which Chris Cervalli had used in his 951 race car. The engine was available to anyone willing to shed a pretty penny so I think it serves better in a 968 than a 951 anyway.
That said, my car is as close to a factory replica as one can find with the original bumper cover, splitter, rear spoiler, naca ducts, engine and trans.
As Damian stated, if I knew what I know now, I would have considered buying the car if I already had the engine but the engine was taken out as a backup for their attempt at Daytona and then sold.
There are still a few pieces to the puzzle that need to be put together but in time it will all make sense or nonsense. I cannot believe someone would have the nerve to part such a rare car out in the way they did. Shame on them for that.
If I ever win the lottery, I will buy the shell and bring it back to its glory. It is disheartening to know all the gory details of its condition from Eric K though. Really breaks my heart but thats what racers are all about.
Raj
Old 01-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Raj, I read you on the E-Mail lists for several years and appreciate the clarification. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:07 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Luis, I remember you as well. Nice to chat with you again after 5-6 yrs .
Raj
Old 01-14-2004, 04:38 AM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 968TurboS
That said, my car is as close to a factory replica as one can find with the original bumper cover, splitter, rear spoiler, naca ducts, engine and trans.
...Raj
OT
How does the bumper cover differ between Turbo and N/A ?
Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally posted by grants_968
OT
How does the bumper cover differ between Turbo and N/A ?
The "rectangular" air intake is bigger.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Luis, Pegaso's were great cars let down by some of the funkiest 50's styling you'll ever see! Their engineer, Wilfredo Ricart, was a younger contemporary of Enzo Ferrari-who hated him upon first sight, it's told. Ricart used to wear these crepe rubber soled shoes, and Ferrari asked him why-to which Ricart answered 'the brain of a great engineer should be insulated from the bumps of planet earth' or something to that effect.

Pegaso's were way advanced beyond contemporary Ferrari's, but they took a bath on each and every one of them-all in the name of promoting the Spanish truck and car manufacturing abilities.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:51 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

The bigger opening in the turbo bumper is to provide additional cooling to the intercooler that is mounted directly behind the bumper cover, where you normally would have your latch mechanism.
The latches on the turbo S cars were moved to the sides.
Raj
Old 01-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally posted by 968TurboS
The latches on the turbo S cars were moved to the sides.
Raj
I would be interested to know/see how you did on yours : OEM parts or self-built latches ? By the way, how does the IC is positioned and held there ?
Sorry for the questions
Old 01-14-2004, 02:51 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Mine were did exacty like the turbo S cars with customs billet adapters. I dont have my car around to take pics.
All parts were oem except adapters.
The intercooler sits in the section that has the latch normally and has 2 mounting brackets attached to it. This is what the intercooler bolts onto. It would be much easier to imagine with pics.
Raj
Old 01-14-2004, 10:07 PM
9SIXTY8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raj, Im so jealousof your car. I want to buy that yellow shell and just keep it in my driveway.... Just to save it from those horrible people that rip up very very rare cars
Old 01-14-2004, 11:09 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sent a email to the address in the ad. A Nicholas Reinhart replied today, telling me the car has a race history , and that although not running at present, they are in the middle of assembling the correct motor for the car ? !
Old 01-15-2004, 10:21 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Stephen, that would be interesting to see. It might shed some more light on where my motor came from. There is a lot of mixed information out there. Anything that helps clear things would help everyone.
One thing is for sure, they will have their hands full in trying to bring it up to its original specs. I know it didn't have the original engine, wonder what trans its running.
I wish we could find out who exactly did this so we can all give him hell for it.

Quick Reply: 968 Turbo S for sale