Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Where have all the follows gone.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Florida Cab
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where have all the follows gone.

Now I know.

I'm glad to see that all the people that left 986.net found a new home. I too have started to drift away from the net. The current crop of posters seem to have other agenders than just the common interist in 968's. I seldom read all the posts and have no time at all for the flame wars.

Not that I posted much but when I did it was because I felt I could add something to the discussion. It now seems that some post just to hear the sound of there own keyboard.

Anyway for those that don't know the new ID, I was pollivie on 968.net. Last years 1st place Cab at Hershey. Dammian, looking at the work you have done to your car, I think this is your year. Raj, nice to see you back doing what you do so well and that is helping others with 968 questions.

Peter
Old 12-29-2003, 03:45 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter, look forward to washing our cars together again this year! As the first place cab winner your car won't be eligible again, so I've got a better shot . . .
Old 12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Florida Cab
4th Gear

Damian,
Not sure I will be there this year, the new car arrives at the end of Jan. and I will be bleeding cash from every opening in my body by April.

Peter
Old 12-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Oops, I didn't see the 'building gt40' signature-tell us a little more about this, ok?
Old 12-29-2003, 04:43 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Peter, how are you? Nice to see you join us here. Thank you for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated.
Damian has been doing a lot to his car and keeps adding to it. Its going to be hard to beat him in 2004 but I don't want to jinx anyone.
Unfortunately for you and for me, we cannot win for atleast another 2 yrs. My car is looking much better than before and will have other go fast goodies but the best I can expect to do is 2nd.
George took the plunge if you are not aware and we are attempting to turbo-charge his cab. He figured, with you guys there his only shot was in the modified class .
There should be some very interesting cars there and atleast 3-4 additional turbo conversions.
Please do let us know about your new venture, sounds like fun.
Take care.
Raj
Old 12-29-2003, 05:34 PM
Florida Cab
4th Gear

Way back when i joined 968.net I mentioned that the 968 Cab was one of the two cars that I loved, the second was the original Ford GT40 MK1 that ran at Lemans in 1967 and 68. This was a time when a GT racing car was still very close to a street car. It could be driven on the track and with only slight changes driven on the street. A good example would be the Porsche 904. The only problem was that only 100 were ever built and at a going price over 600K, this dream that was never going to happen.

I have been following the development of replicas of this car for several years and have watched them get better and more accurate, and more expensive. You can now buy a GT40 replica that is a true reproduction of the original car. The class of the industry is ERA, in the US. Roaring 40's and GT40 nz in australia and CAV in South Africa.

All of the cars as self assemble units run in the 50+ and up range without engine and transmission and depending on options. CAV and NZ can only be purchased as turn key cars minus Engine and gearbox. The ERA is considered the best available but has a wait list of over two years.

Anyway I ordered a Roaring Forties version several months ago. The car should be arriving at the US dealer on the 24th of January from down under and then trucked to South Florida. The car will be powered by a Ford 302 motor, tuned for 370 HP. The completed weight is expected to be 2300 LBS wet. Performance expected is 0 to 60 in the fours with a top end of 175, limited by gearing.

I intend to use the car for track day, shows and some touring with the wife. Now notice that at no point did I say anything about not keeping the 968. I fully intend to keep and enjoy that car, the only down side is that I will not be doing any new things in the near future.

I'll post pictures when the project starts. If any one wants to see what it looks like go to www.grandsportcorvette.com/gt/motivation.htm
Old 12-29-2003, 05:51 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Hi Peter, I just started coming here after 968.net has become too much to deal with. A lot of the old crew is here which is great.

Sounds like your new project is a nice one. Now that Ford is building its own GT40 how does it compare with the top-shelf replica?
Old 12-29-2003, 05:55 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

*drool* Please keep us posted. My wife decided a couple of months ago that she should be driving around in a silver GT-40... lol I have been looking at the kits myslef, and will be very interested in your impressions.

Regards,
Old 12-29-2003, 08:12 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I have to confess I have always wanted to do one as well. It would either be a GT40 or a Daytona coupe. Also, it will have to wait atleast another 7-10 yr before I can pull that off. Would be very interested in following your developments though.
Raj
Old 12-30-2003, 07:41 AM
Florida Cab
4th Gear

Sorry, the link should have been www.grandsportcorvette.com/gt/finish.htm
Old 12-31-2003, 07:37 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Florida Cab:
Good to see you here too!
I hope I can make it to Hersey this year
Old 12-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Miles, you should have seen Peter's car last year-he had just had the interior redone in a 'cork' color leather, sort of like the 'baseball glove' leather on some Audi TT's. Really eyecatching.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:01 PM
Miles968
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who has a Navy 996 with the "orange" interior and I am pretty sure that is the same as the baseball glove you are describing. It is a great color and looks really great with the navy exterior
Hopefully, I will be able to check it our first hand some time, at Hersey this year
Old 01-01-2004, 03:37 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Miles, you better make it there! I want to see my car's cousin in reality. They are too much alike and would make for interesting comparisons.
Also, I want a ride in that beast .
Raj
Old 01-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Len
5th Gear

Hi Peter (and many others!),

I just made my way over here also. Quite the new toy, but hopefully you'll still make Hershey. That cork interior is absolutely gorgeous - you owe it to those that haven't seen it. If you don't show, I'll have to find someone else to wander the rainy (hopefully not this year) swap meet with.

Quick Reply: Where have all the follows gone.