968 Forum 1992-1995

Heater control valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 06:02 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Heater control valve

I just picked up my replacement heater control valve at the dealer. For those that don't know the story, my original had a very small leak. I replaced it a few months ago but then I had no heat. I made sure the system was bled and still, no heat. So, I put the old HCV back in and my heat came back. So, I'm guessing a bad heater control valve. Since the part was new they honored the parts warranty and swapped me for a new one. Holding the new one next to the old defective one the mechanism seems just as strong. I wonder if I'm going to have the same problem when I put this one in next spring. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:41 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange...it's a very simple part, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Did you remove the vacuum line and try sucking on it to see if the arm on the valve opens and closes?

I blew up a valve maybe 2 years ago and replaced with a new one. Then last spring on a very hot day I was messing with the climate control **** and noticed I was not getting heat. Popped the hood and noticed that the arm on the valve wasn't moving when I turned the climate control ****..?

I bought another new valve and before putting it in I messed with the vacuum connection a little bit. I don't think the plastic tube was inserted firmly into the rubber connector so vacuum was being lost when I turned the **** to deliver heat, causing the valve not to open. After playing w/ the vacuum a bit I left the old valve in and started the car...warmed it up and the car had heat.

You did allow the engine to warm up before asking it to make heat, right?
Old 12-23-2003, 08:24 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

A vacuum leak would definitely have those symptoms. Too bad, you will lose coolant again when you swap it. Also, its in a messy spot so it will require some cleaning up after installation. Try to cover the belt area as you don't want this coolant to get on top of your timing/balance shaft belt.
Porsche used to have this valve between the engine and firewall but moved it to front for ease of access and also to avoid coolant from spraying over one's clutch when the hose failed.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:40 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks guys.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:08 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

um, if any of y'all have an extra heater control valve sitting around, let me know... I need to get one for my 968 and haven't ordered it yet. Not a big deal to buy new (and it seems like I am placing parts orders about every other day), but if you have one that you don't need, I might as well give you the money instead.

Regards,
Old 12-24-2003, 09:33 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Scott, I might have a spare lying around. No charge and I am not doing this to "buy" a friendship . Send me a PM with your address and I will ship it out 1st chance.

Quick Reply: Heater control valve