spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

Cobalt blue wins by a hair!!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you all for the input. There are a few issues with both. Normally I would go with the lower mileage car but definitely the Cobalt car spoke to me. I spoke to the owner several times and texted many more and decided that I would have a PPI done and called Dave at Radmacher Porsche. He told me that he had worked on this car in the past and said that he could be objective. Observation: All Porsche guys are objective an Dave, as it turns out, is no different. We scheduled the PPI for Tuesday 10/24. I decided considering the mileage (115K) I needed to see the car myself to decide. I flew to Tucson Monday 10/23 and went to Radmacher to go through the inspection live with Dave. I cant say how impressed I was with Dave and his shop. If I eat all my vegetables, when I grow up, I want to be just like him. Example: While he was performing the inspection another customer showed up and was watching Dave and I inspect the car. He had an '80 911SC targa he bought from the local dealership new that Dave had done the PDI on. No one else other than Dave has ever worked on his 911. After the inspection and many laughs with Larry (911 owner) and Dave, I purchased the Cobalt 968 which, as a side, note lived in a garage next to a 959! I had considered the fact that I SHOULD ship this car but after the PPI I was sure that she was very sound and decided to drive her home to California. I started out a little paranoid that I was making a mistake driving her home vs shipping but quickly realized that this car is solid as Dave showed me. Temperature was 95 degrees when I left and continued to rise as I crossed the desert. I took the Phoenix by pass route and found the temps rising the whole way through Arizona. It has been awhile since I drove I-10 to LA and was surprised by the number of semi's on the road. There was a stretch that I was caught behind a semi in the left lane and next to one that was in the right lane. I put her in neutral and was pulled for about 5 miles. It was great! I have not enjoyed a trip like this for awhile. I was surprised by the fuel economy. I went from Tucson to Indio, Ca on 12 Gallons (30+ MPH). WOW! Granted I got 5 mile for free, but still! It got hotter as I got closer to LA. When I got to LA there were several traffic jams. Even in traffic she was fun to drive. Once through the LA traffic traffic flow increased to 65.I was in the left lane in the Sherman Oaks are when I heard a loud explosion in front of me and to the right (there are about 5 lanes). I immediately scanned the area but saw nothing. My next reaction was to scan the 968 instruments. Everything OK. So what was the explosion? Simultaneously I see some dark areas in front of me and then a white burst of light from debris to my right. I swerved to the median wall to miss the debris and in doing so, I knocked my phone off the suction cup holder that was on the fixed left window, onto the freeway. Made it home with no more drama. I had some great photos from the inspection and other parts of the trip, including the 959 sighting but cannot produce them. I got a new phone Wednesday morning and took these photos with my new phone last evening.

New graphics? Just reflection off the awesome finish

Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

That's cool, congrats!!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:26 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
That's cool, congrats!!
Thank You. I love this car!
Old 10-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Congrats! Great story! Better the phone than the car for sure.

I was a little bummed about the coupe that sold in GA that you posted, but after seeing your car, there will always be another one, and having a 968 in Cobalt blue is just awesome. I love that color on the 996!

Enjoy, and considering you live in So Cal.....a cab will be perfect!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:08 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Congrats! Great story! Better the phone than the car for sure.

I was a little bummed about the coupe that sold in GA that you posted, but after seeing your car, there will always be another one, and having a 968 in Cobalt blue is just awesome. I love that color on the 996!

Enjoy, and considering you live in So Cal.....a cab will be perfect!
Thank you. I also really liked the GA car. I will keep posting finds as I am going to get another 968. I still can't believe I lost the phone out the window. It all seemed like slow motion.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:20 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats Spark. Beautiful car! Yep, if you plan to drive it regularly, being in good shape is just as important as having low mileage. I bought a low mileage Corvette once and regularly drove it and it lost all the value it had from being low mileage.

And 23 years is old, even if it has low mileage. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it on here, but the mirrors on both of my side mirrors fell off last year. Then a few months later, my center rear view mirror fell off. I guess German glue was just made to last 22 years.

The top of my Cab has been a problem just by itself. But once you get out in the right conditions with the top dropped, it's well worth it. And it's amazing how all the rattles go away with the top dropped!
Old 10-26-2017, 11:27 PM
Eyeman
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Just noticed, are those Nexxen tires? I have currently have them on the back of my Cab. They are not the greatest in the rain. But tires don't last that long on these cars anyways.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:28 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

That made me laugh. I also lost/broke the the passenger door lock pop up. Just broke in my fingers while I was attempting to unlock.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:35 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eyeman
Just noticed, are those Nexxen tires? I have currently have them on the back of my Cab. They are not the greatest in the rain. But tires don't last that long on these cars anyways.
Good eye. Guess that goes without saying Eyeman!! They will need to be replaced soon. Probably going with Conti extreme contact. Have them on another car and they are really nice. The Nexxens were great so far
Old 10-27-2017, 01:10 AM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story made more so by the memory of my being drafted up that hill, in a 968 I bought in Atlanta and drove home, by a big rig when I failed to stop at that very last gas station. At the bottom of the hill on the other side I thanked the rig driver. He said he knew exactly what I was doing when I didn't pass and continued drafting at the crest and down the hill.
Where in CA is that car landing?
Mods (Randy V.) please check comma placement.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:57 AM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLT951
Great story made more so by the memory of my being drafted up that hill, in a 968 I bought in Atlanta and drove home, by a big rig when I failed to stop at that very last gas station. At the bottom of the hill on the other side I thanked the rig driver. He said he knew exactly what I was doing when I didn't pass and continued drafting at the crest and down the hill.
Where in CA is that car landing?
Mods (Randy V.) please check comma placement.
Love it. I would imagine the truck drivers like the distraction of an otherwise monotonous drive.Santa Barbara is landing spot. How about you?
Old 10-27-2017, 12:47 PM
FLT951
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spark. I'm in the Bay Area. Lets organize a 968 weekender in Ojai.
BTW, for a white knuckle thrill try driving westbound down the hill from the crest in a 38" motorhome towing a Porsche. PTSD lasts until you are forced to do it the next time.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:59 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Ojai is usually great this time of year. Sounds good. As far as going down the hill as stated....I have a slight eye twitch just thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Blue vs Black Metallic