964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Traded my 993 Cab for 92 965

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:45 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Helio, my work list looks a lot like your list, just performed over more years.
Good to hear that it's not just me. sounds like you are a lot like me that doesn't like to let things go too long without attention. I like to use this forum to keep track of my experiences. I have a friend in the with a 930 that I get to share but the two-cars are very different but the same in other ways. I had a couple of G body cars in the past. It's still fun to work on the 930 and see how different the two cars are.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Good to hear that it's not just me. sounds like you are a lot like me that doesn't like to let things go too long without attention. I like to use this forum to keep track of my experiences.
Well, I hear you about keeping up with the car.
This year alone I've replaced the booster fans in the back fenders and I have EBS spring plates on the way as I discovered my rear alignment was way out and I couldn't get it back into spec.That's in addition to fixing the breather hose while installing an Innovate afr/boost gage. I've maybe put 100 miles on my car this year. Maybe I'll get to drive my car next year

The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 01:09 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Well, I hear you about keeping up with the car.
This year alone I've replaced the booster fans in the back fenders and I have EBS spring plates on the way as I discovered my rear alignment was way out and I couldn't get it back into spec.That's in addition to fixing the breather hose while installing an Innovate afr/boost gage. I've maybe put 100 miles on my car this year. Maybe I'll get to drive my car next year

Hi Paul,

As some people know, part of owns these beasts is learning about what makes them roar and working on them and helping others along the way, I love it, I love the color of your 965 and the 993 heat exchangers.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:20 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I think, for me, it's about being able to drive with piece of mind, knowing I won't end up on a flatbed, or worse.
heliolps2 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 10:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Not like I don't have enough projects but put the turbo on the lift and am going through some items needing addressing. I decided to drain and clean the fuel system. Although it gets fresh fuel each year and I go through a few tanks the old fuel must degrade the new fuel faster. I am no chemist so I don't know but what came out looked like dark urine and had that old fuel smell. I would stumble every now and then at WOT so I feel this might have been the contributing factor. I think from now on I will add some 100 octane for winter storage so if it does lose its potency it won't be an issue. A job I never liked but sometimes necessary.

I am also going to pull the EZ69 and add fresh thermal paste, new fuel filter, oil change, trans fluid, brake system and clutch fluid flush while at it. I usually work on the N/A cars more but was surprised to see our fuel lines are not polyamide lined like the N/A cars but just basic rubber with no hard center.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

what are you using for fuel? ... About 3 years ago I switched from 93 pump gas, over to Sunoco Optima 95 for ANY times during the year where I know I will not be driving it much (pandemic back in March I ran it to fumes & put the Optima in)....

During the heat of the summer when I'm doing lots of PCA Tour drives, yes I will use 93 pump gas and usually go through the entire tank & then some.

right now I am finishing up my garage renovation so it has only had a few drives since March,... so I have had the Optima in there 100% of the time.

seems to work for me. It's a little more expensive proposition,... but for the last 3 years has allowed me to sleep well at night, knowing I won't need to flush out the entire fuel system.

=Steve
Old 08-26-2020, 03:46 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Unfortunately in NJ we have a max of 93. Not that long ago we could get 94 at Sunoco but no longer the only alternative is one station in Ft Lee that sells 100 octane for $10 a gallon.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:34 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Steve,

Unfortunately in NJ we have a max of 93. Not that long ago we could get 94 at Sunoco but no longer the only alternative is one station in Ft Lee that sells 100 octane for $10 a gallon.
Funny that you guys are talking about gas. I have always run 93 from Sunoco as well, but recently I've been using Sunoco 91, my seems to run better. and seems to have more pep, especially on the bottom end and driving around town, normal driving... I have got on it a few times, I didn't hear any knocking. Maybe someone can explain why that is ?
Old 08-26-2020, 05:37 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Not like I don't have enough projects but put the turbo on the lift and am going through some items needing addressing. I decided to drain and clean the fuel system. Although it gets fresh fuel each year and I go through a few tanks the old fuel must degrade the new fuel faster. I am no chemist so I don't know but what came out looked like dark urine and had that old fuel smell. I would stumble every now and then at WOT so I feel this might have been the contributing factor. I think from now on I will add some 100 octane for winter storage so if it does lose its potency it won't be an issue. A job I never liked but sometimes necessary.

I am also going to pull the EZ69 and add fresh thermal paste, new fuel filter, oil change, trans fluid, brake system and clutch fluid flush while at it. I usually work on the N/A cars more but was surprised to see our fuel lines are not polyamide lined like the N/A cars but just basic rubber with no hard center.
Hi Tony

Why do you think that Porsche didn't use the same fuel lines as the NA cars? what are the benefits of changing the fuel lines to the lined ones? and which lines need to be changed? sorry for all the questions

Thank you kindly
Helio
Old 08-27-2020, 02:47 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

the key for me on the Sunoco Optima is that it has no ethanol so it's shelf life is so much longer. My stock motor could probably do with less octane, but that fuel is high quality.

We don't have many stations down here that have non-ethanol fuels at the pump
Old 08-27-2020, 07:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Hi Tony

Why do you think that Porsche didn't use the same fuel lines as the NA cars? what are the benefits of changing the fuel lines to the lined ones? and which lines need to be changed? sorry for all the questions

Thank you kindly
Helio
The line used on the N/A cars are made by Cohline and have a polyamide lining. They have warnings printed on them and say do not bend or crimp. If you bend them they will snap internally at least at the age they are today. The turbo lines were very pliable and had no markings or warnings. I will say that for their age there was no signs of deterioration or anything that would concern me. If you squeeze them you can feel there is no hard lining in the center. Most likely they carried over the same lines used in the 3.3's which date back to the 930's which were just rubber. AFAIK our cars require a min of 91 although I always pay up for the highest I can get locally and a premium fuel so Sunoco, Exxon even Costco 91 or higher is good fuel. Now that gas is so cheap why not run the higher octane? The higher octane should prevent knocking better. Why your car feels better with 91 than 93 I couldn't tell you although I found that a dyno speaks so much more than my butt. SOme things i perceive as improvement is at times just a shift in power and not an increase.

Originally Posted by bweSteve
the key for me on the Sunoco Optima is that it has no ethanol so it's shelf life is so much longer. My stock motor could probably do with less octane, but that fuel is high quality.

We don't have many stations down here that have non-ethanol fuels at the pump

I agree it makes sense but NJ doesn't. Heck we aren't even allowed to pump our own fuel. Although I won't let anyone go near my car. If they won't let me pump it I move on. I wish we still had the fuels of yesterday but at least we can still get 93 vs states like CA that have a max of 91. I wish I could buy the 95 locally but my only option is the 100. I have to drive a good distance to a Sunoco station just outside NYC to get it and they want Cash up front at $10 a gallon. I suspect it isn't Sunoco fuel but it is high octane and alcohol free. My other option is aviation fuel although Avgas has lead in it so it is not good if you are still running cats. I see I can buy the Optima 95 online and have it shipped which is a bit odd but it is more expensive for me to do that than the race fuel at 100 and $10 a gallon. Although I will be stocking up on some 100 octane and running that just before and through hibernation from now on.
heliolps2 (01-17-2021)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I've settled on Shell 93 octane as the Sunoco stations in southeast Michigan only carry 92 octane. In days of old (when I had a high compression engine in my big block Corvette) I used Sunoco 260, followed by Sunoco 240.
Lead was the octane booster of choice in the old days. Lead also was easy on the valve seats. Lead was very bad in the environment.
Lead went out of fuel in the mid '70's (but not banned by law until 1992), to be replaced by ethanol. Ethanol tends to break down every material in a fuel system in a concentration over 10%.
I was involved in the manufacturing engineering of new coated steels for making fuel tanks for flex fuel vehicles (using E80 fuel) in the early '90. In addition to exotic coatings on steel fuel tanks, there are conductive nylon fuel lines (non-conductive nylon builds up static charge and are a fire risk), coated steel fuel lines, tin-coated and electroless nickel coated fuel tank components and stainless steel fuel delivery modules. This is required because ethanol, especially sour ethanol (ethanol that has absorbed water) is extremely corrosive.
Here in the U.S., we have summer blend and winter blend fuel. Summer blend has additives to supress vaporization of fuel, which is a major contributor to smog. These additives are what are responsible for fuel going sour over the winter. Around October 1, the market switches to winter blend, which is more stable.
I make sure I've used up all the summer blend in my fuel tank and fill up with winter blend before my car goes to storage. I've never had a problem doing this for 30-odd years.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 08-28-2020 at 08:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Metal Guru:
cobalt (08-28-2020), heliolps2 (08-29-2020)
Old 01-17-2021, 01:43 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

My winter project,

Last edited by heliolps2; 01-18-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:45 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Last edited by heliolps2; 01-18-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:50 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Last edited by heliolps2; 01-18-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Traded my 993 Cab for 92 965