964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Turbo 3.6 collectibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 AM
30 CSL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
I want a Renault 5 Turbo 2 next, I love that car.
Then I would definitely advise (and if I got it right, you're looking for the right cars to collect... don't you ?!) buying a Renault 5 Turbo 1 !

On the Renault Turbo 1, the interior is very specific (vs. a common and much standard interior on the Turbo 2). On top (and this is extremely important when speaking about light cars !) the roof and the doors are aluminium elements on the Turbo 1, the bonnet is composite e.g. fiber glass (all those elements are thin gauge steel on the Turbo 2).

Last but not least : 1820 Turbo 1 produced vs. 3167 Turbo 2, the real collectable thing definitely is the Turbo 1...
Old 05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
gt3lbn
Advanced

outside of the Porsche spectrum.. I would love to get my hands on a Mercedes 190E Evo II 2.5-16
Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Last but not least : 1820 Turbo 1 produced vs. 3167 Turbo 2, the real collectable thing definitely is the Turbo 1...
Factor in that unlike the Dino, the R5 Turbo I and II where mostly raced, there was even Renault R5 Turbo CUP. That means that there are probably less than half remaining. My father actually owned a pearl white with Panasport wheels bumped to about 300 hp Turbo II and I got to drive it and race it, it is an awesome car.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:24 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3lbn
outside of the Porsche spectrum.. I would love to get my hands on a Mercedes 190E Evo II 2.5-16
Drove one on the hockenhiem, a friend of mine has one and a 500E.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 30 CSL
Then I would definitely advise (and if I got it right, you're looking for the right cars to collect... don't you ?!) buying a Renault 5 Turbo 1 !

On the Renault Turbo 1, the interior is very specific (vs. a common and much standard interior on the Turbo 2). On top (and this is extremely important when speaking about light cars !) the roof and the doors are aluminium elements on the Turbo 1, the bonnet is composite e.g. fiber glass (all those elements are thin gauge steel on the Turbo 2).

Thanks, I love these cars. I would love to own one and a lancia stratos delta integrale 16v.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM
30 CSL
Instructor

Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Thanks, I love these cars. I would love to own one and a lancia stratos delta integrale 16v.
I guess you mean a Delta Integrale 16v The Stratos is a different beast but defintely is a masterpiece ! The Mercedes 2.5 Evo II certainly is a very interesting car but then we could also speak about the BMW M3 Sport EVO or about the extremely rare BMW Alpina M3 B6 3.5 S

Sorry, I am a bit off topic
Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin5889
I'll take a stab at this since I just purchase a 3.6T. After waiting and wanting to purchase a 3.6T at a fair price, what was I thinking? I finally pulled the trigger and purchased one that had 45K more miles than the one I should've bought last year. Cars ended up being the same price. Everytime I look at the one I ended up with instead of the one in the Dupont I should've bought, my heart aches.

Prices keep climbing and I didn't want to miss out. Looking back it looks like the 3.6T prices have taken off significantly in the last year and a half, thanks to a couple of dealers out there having a great chain of clients and selling their cars quite fast.

I feel the 3.6T doesn't quite have the potential to be as collectible as the 2.7 RS only becasue I know of quite a few very nice low mileage examples out there. If these cars are taken off the road because owners feel that the value is getting too high and start bubble wrapping them, the value will only increase nominally. If all 3.6T owners continue to drive thier cars and lower mileage vehicles become less and less the supply obviously becomes less and thus value will rise. One thing also going against the 3.6T increasing significantly more in the near future is a somewhat similar repalcement in the 3.3T. I feel there are many out there that would consider a 3.3T if the delta bacame too significant.

In regards to the GT2RS and 4.0 RS being a collectible...... although there are very few produced I would take a guess that many are bubble wrapped and are waiting for values to rise. With the limited number of them made, depreciation currently has been non existence, however there really hasn't been any price appreciation either. I think a 996 GT3 will be more collectible than both those vehicles because overall production isn't extrmemly high, and most have actually been driven and some very hard. I wouldn't be surprised that 80% of the GT2 RS and 4.0RS have very low mileage to no mileage at all, thus not making mint condition cars not very rare at all.

I agree with the values with Porsche collector that the 3.6T in mint condition eventually can see values as high as half a 2.7 RS.

But the most important thing is to enjoy the cars for their purpose and that is driving them. I feel any price appreciation should be a bonus.

As soon as I replace some age related parts and give it a good buff I am sure I will give my 3.6T the love and attention it deserves.

Cheers!
I wouldnt hold my breath on 996GT3 being as or more collectable then a 4.0L or GT2RS.....
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tend to agree, I see very little collectibility in the 996gt3, or any gt3 for that matter.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Tend to agree, I see very little collectibility in the 996gt3, or any gt3 for that matter.
hmm..the 997 GT3s are the last Gt3s with Manual, the last one with the GT1 engine block, the last one with hydraulic steering, + their produced no. is relatively low.

The fact that 3.8, 3.8RS and 4.0 are very strong in prices for the moment proves rather my point then yours..or?

Put differently, if no GT3 would be a collector, why should then a 3.6 turbo be one ? (a car that has despite its "greatness" no racing history..or very limited and whose engine can be in no respect compared to the GT3 engine which uses better materials all the way)
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I wouldnt hold my breath on 996GT3 being as or more collectable then a 4.0L or GT2RS.....
indeed..however, I would agree that good 996.1 GT3 are now becoming rare..and that prices might go up a bit...as they are for the moment maybe a bit undervalued. But still a different league then 4.0 or GT2RS..!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say a great thread and some very interesting comments about the 3.6t and the comparison with the RS cars.

Ever since the popularity of track cars becoming more and more popular over the 16 years the Turbo cars became less popular because:

1. the supercar bubble burst 1994/5.
2. UK car prices started to escalate.
3. Grey import (Europe & Japan) market started to open for options to buy cheaper cars.
4. fuel prices started to rise in the UK.
5. Track days popularity.

European influences and clubsport cars such as the 968cs, 964rs (pay more for less) soon became popular YEARS LATER around 1998, when clubsport cars were at its lowest and Turbo cars were too much money.

Years of 98" the motor journals -car magazines started to make apparent that these RS cars which were less popular and expensive cars at the time are great performers, plus at rock bottom prices.

The RS cars soon escalated through the years with the popularity of track days and the table turned making the 930/964 turbo cars less popular and expensive to run. These 3-4 years the 3.3/3.6 turbo cars hit bottom like the RS cars back in 95", the prices of these T cars are climbing whilst the RS cars have hit the high limit. The 3.6 and 3.3 T model have more scope to climb to were the 964RS are right now, but nowhere near or level to a 2.7RS.

Whose to know the forecast for these cars only that ALL old cars will rise by age and the push of the market from dealers and owners, but more for the less produced models and low mileage cars.

What if the government banned all track/clubsport cars on our roads, only used on track? Will there be a surge in demand and price for these turbo cars?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
indeed..however, I would agree that good 996.1 GT3 are now becoming rare..and that prices might go up a bit...as they are for the moment maybe a bit undervalued. But still a different league then 4.0 or GT2RS..!
A virgin 996GT3 has its place in the future of collectable/desireable 911 Porsches.

Alot of 996GT3 Porsches either have miles or converted to track day toys.
Therefore low mile examples will have a collectable market.
ROW 996 Clubsport and 996RS especially.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
A virgin 996GT3 has its place in the future of collectable/desireable 911 Porsches.

Alot of 996GT3 Porsches either have miles or converted to track day toys.
Therefore low mile examples will have a collectable market.
ROW 996 Clubsport and 996RS especially.
True to that! I heard a 996 GT3 mk2 Clubsport is rare but as you say any low mile example will have a collectable market.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

We are talking about potential collectors and I wonder why there has been no mention of the 993 GT2, I guess this one is so rare we all forget about it. There is also a still accessible with great potential which is the 1976-77 Carrera 3.o with a 3687 production but many dead by now.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:04 PM
kevin5889
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This has been a fun thread, I think the 993 GT2 is a no brainer that it is highly desirable and a collectible. What do you all think about the possible collectibility of a 997.2 TT in manual transimission. So this won't be an S version. I actually don't see any for sale in the used car market. I see a ton of PDK S versions. Obviosly my first choice for a 997 variant will be the 4.0L but I am cheap ( value oriented) and don't want to spend more than 100K for a car.

Quick Reply: Turbo 3.6 collectibility