Thoughts on this 964 Turbo for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 PM
mapolus
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thoughts?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...black-tan.html

Oh, if I'm pushing my luck with Rennlisters' patience, please let me know. I'll become a paying member after I do purchase a car (it's depressing to be a paying member of a club when you don't even have the car!!).
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I know the Seller and have bought parts from him before. Stand up guy in the Pcar business or he just gets something new often? He should shoot straight with you on the car. Hate the wheels, question why a tough box like a G50 needed to be rebuilt? Don't you do a clutch while you are there??

Can't go to a few states without a cat. The car looks tired to me but there really isn't enough info or pics to say that? Thatcher(Rob) will typically hold his line on price for quite a while or until he has something else he wants and needs the cash. Call and talk to him, get a PPI.......bla bla.....
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mapolus

Oh, if I'm pushing my luck with Rennlisters' patience, please let me know. I'll become a paying member after I do purchase a car (it's depressing to be a paying member of a club when you don't even have the car!!).
No really. You have/will get lots of info here and we'd love to have ya.
Black with tan.... I'm partial.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks ok, offer 43k.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Steven C - you say it "looks tired" - just curious why you say that? I see the faded rear fender protectors... What do you see that I don't? Just curious....

I like that it has Big Reds. Interior to me looks very nice. Is he including the OE airbag wheel? Twists - not bad but don't add any value like Speedlines would. Nice that it has new tires - and good ones, too. Is he incuding the cat that has been removed? It's an easy swap back in for emissions if necessary...

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Steven C - you say it "looks tired" - just curious why you say that? I see the faded rear fender protectors... What do you see that I don't? Just curious
Brandon,

The paint mainly, but the quality of the pics really doesn't say enough as I said. It is surprising that the pics and presentation of the car is so poor as in the past his work in this area has been excellent with stunning pics and pages of detail?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
mapolus
Racer

Please someone tell me I'm crazy:

http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/cto/3408274290.html

I'm at least going to look at it since there are very few 930s within 5 miles of my house. If, for some reason, I got a PPI and it passed compression/leak down checks, what would be a deal breaker? Salvaged, stolen title. Needs new transmission? I'm prepared to buy seat covers/carpets, but what impact does an aftermarket A/C have on value? I know they're expensive ($2500 at retroair), but would it decrease the car's value at the same time?

I'll say it: I'm crazy for even looking.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

That is a much different car than the 964T's. Not in a bad way, just different. A lot changed in the years between 77-91,92,94 etc. I have driven a 930 with the 4 speed and it just has a different character. It has low miles though, so that is a good sign. I have no idea on value, you may want to post this in the 930 froum as well.

On a side note, I am inerested to read these threads. With a recent divorce, I kept the 911 I have been tempted to part with it in order to purchae a house, I'm renting for the first time in 10+ years. With the slow but stead increase in price, I'm thinking if I do, spring would be the best bet.

Bill
Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

77-79s are rare as hens teeth. If that's legit it's a steal for that price.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM
mapolus
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
I have been tempted to part with it in order to purchase a house...
Being military, I've bought two houses that I now rent out after PCS'ing. I can tell you that a 964 Turbo would bring me much more joy than buying another house. But that's just me!! However, if you still choose to sell, please keep me in mind (an upcoming deployment can help increase the budget by Spring). Best of luck to ya...

Matt
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Jumping in late here but I don't see all the issues you guys are harping on.

The distortion on the bumper looks like a reflection of the headlight to me and depending on if these cars sit in the sun for long periods will sometimes distort any of the plastic parts. The rear bumper is stock and one thing is for sure if these cars are not driven they do leak (all of them) and if the smoke is white it is moisture if grey and disappears after 3 minutes it is usually indicative of a car that has sat for a long time without being started. So long as it goes away after coming up to temperature and doesn't repeat itself it is probably a non issue.

Don't forget your looking at a higher mileage turbo. Based on the market low mileage cars are far more expensive so if your budget isn't up to finding a lower mileage car maybe you should consider a 930.

The 3.6 has been discussed quite a number of times over the past year or so on this forum and based on the history of this car I would question everything carefully when buying from these guys but when you consider how few of these cars either 3.3 or 3.6 have been for sale compared to just a few years back you may find finding the car of your dreams will either require spending up for a car that needs work and dealing with its issues over time or adding $10k to your budget to get the right car. In either case finding the right car can take a year or so of continuous searching. I spent a year to find both my turbo and 928GTS both rare and hard to find good clean examples but well worth the time spent searching.

Assuming this car has no serious issues other than what has been discussed, it may be worth considering or waiting for a few months to see if they will soften on their asking price.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 AM
cash92104
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PPI isnt as bad as you might think. Leaky seals and rear shocks are actually normal for this car, as is the cracked rear reflector. When I bought my '92 964T there was some seepage from a few of the seals and I got them fixed during my first service. Within, oh, 15k miles the leaks were back. Other things like the worn tires and seat, well, you should kind of expect with a used car. The passenger window switch can be fixed in just a few minutes, nothing to worry about there. The car seems pretty typical if you ask me. $39k is fair. Oh and don't ever trust ebay pricing, it is NOT accurate at all. Very few people place bids for cars on ebay which leads to lower that market final bids.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM
mapolus
Racer

I appreciate the inputs. For not much more money though there are well sorted examples (a '92 with great service history at the same dealer -- they'll take $45k). I just don't think we're talking less than $6k in service/repairs to get this car where it needs to be.

Does anyone know this car? Might be tough to get them to $45k, but I'd stretch a bit if it's a good deal:

http://www.porscheofcoloradosprings....af7f18a6b9.htm

Thanks again for all the help!
Matt
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I believe Brandon looked at that car b4 buying his, I think it's a good car. Offer 45, they've had it forever, were asking 50k at one time.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM
mapolus
Racer

Can someone please tell me what wheels these are? They look like 3-piece twists to me, but the Service Manager at C Springs Porsche said they are Speedline wheels (an option for '91). I'm not one to argue with someone with 30 years of Porsche experience, but I will certainly do research to verify (Trust, but Verify). Since my research has been inconclusive, I am posting my question. Further, there is a stereo mod in the back seat, that's why the back rests aren't in the car. It looks professional. Is this a factor to consider in value?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 964 Turbo for sale?