964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Thoughts on this 964 Turbo for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Walk away.

If the shocks are original, then the car needs four new shocks, an alignment, and corner balancing.

On what date were the plugs last changed? When's the last time the valves were adjusted? On what date(s) did the car have its last oil change, brake fluid change, and transmission fluid change? Where's the documentation for consistent, preventative maintenance for the car? Service Action 291 was issued on 30 December 1991. At that time, the owner of the car would have received a letter from PCNA informing him or her of the recall, and he or she would have had to do no more than take the car to an authorized Porsche Service Center for the free modification. That the owner was not responsive to his or her car's needs at that time calls into question the level of maintenance that the car received on other occasions.

The car is a nest of hornets waiting to sting you again and again as you try to remedy all that's wrong with it and all that you'll undoubtedly discover is wrong with it.

And the distortion in the rubber smile is possibly a consequence of the car sitting in the sun? The smile should be flat at the point where the distortion appears (surprisingly, the sun has had no effect on the corresponding left side of rubber smile).

There aren't a lot of 3.3 964 Turbos available (and there are even fewer 3.6 964 Turbos on the market), but, with patience, a wiser investment and a better car will come your way.

Last edited by Doc V.; 11-12-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Most of the items on the ppi are nickel and dime things, easily fixed bit by bit.
If the compression test was good I wouldn't sweat having to do a major re build. I'd wait until it had to be fixed.
In hindsight, if the car had been sitting forever, the white smoke might be condensation, no biggie.
Offer 30, come back at 32 if u have to.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could make the dealer an offer with all the items repaired to your satisfaction if you are interested in the car, unless like you said, you would rather do the repairs yourself. I converted my '92 to R134 for a nominal cost and it works well. You can purchase R12 but its rather expensive and will most likely leak out again.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM
mapolus
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doc V.
Walk away.
I never want to look back at those words and say, "Why didn't I listen?" as the children are wearing old hats as shoes.

So, the search continues!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM
mapolus
Racer

Originally Posted by Doc V.
And the distortion in the rubber smile is possibly a consequence of the car sitting in the sun? The smile should be flat at the point where the distortion appears (surprisingly, the sun has had no effect on the corresponding left side of rubber smile).
I agree with you 100%. Please don't think the PPI results were my words, just merely a relay of what the Porsche tech thought.

Thanks again to all of you for your inputs. I'm happy to learn, but I'm glad I don't have to learn the hard way (yet)!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 281 Posts

+1 TT Surgeon. If these issues were all sorted already, you won't find it for 39K.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probbaly the best. At 86k miles and 21 years you would need a new clutch pretty soon as well.Which isnt bad just mo money!!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 PM
mapolus
Racer

Well, talked to the dealer and they wouldn't budge from $39k...so that makes that decision easier.

Anyone got a lead on another 964 Turbo? I think I'm going to look at 930s as well, though I'd prefer to stick with the 964.

Has the market really turned around this much in 10 months compared to this ad? I know it's a grey market car, but $30k?! Seems like last summer/winter was the time to buy. Shucks.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...964-turbo.html

Thanks!
Matt
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Obviously the 930's are awesome, too, but I personally very much appreciate the updates that came with the 964 Turbo - the suspension, the turbo, intercooler, better intake plumbing, better A/C, (I know there are quite a few more...) and the aero side mirrors and bumper covers really modernize the look without losing the classic appeal - then again some will say the 930's are even better driver's cars with no ABS, no power steering, (hence lighter) etc - just a simpler car...

Again, a matter of preference, IMO. I've driven a good friends '89 (5 spd) and will say - it was a great drive. Granted he upgraded the IC, suspension, and turbo...

For the heck of it I did a search yesteday to see what is out there...slim pickins. The Colorado Springs car is nice - I've driven it - but over-priced IMO. Too bad - it would make a great very nice looking driver. I bet more cars come out of the woodwork come spring....

Keep us posted-

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'01 Audi S4
Old 11-14-2012, 10:13 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like your price range is in the 30s. I'd strongly suggest a good 930, there are many out there that fit that price parameter. Any 964t for 30k is going to have a story, usually ultra high miles needing lots of work. I knew that car you mentioned above, good car, fresh engine, very high miles, but a good deal for the price.
Yes, the aircooled turbo market has gone up. They ain't making anymore, that's for sure. Good ones demand top dollar.
Good hunting!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by mapolus
Well, talked to the dealer and they wouldn't budge from $39k...so that makes that decision easier.

Anyone got a lead on another 964 Turbo? I think I'm going to look at 930s as well, though I'd prefer to stick with the 964.

Matt
Did you consider the amazon green turbo from the same dealer?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
that dealer is trying to drive the prices up by buying a few 964t's. another thread stated the green 965 was bought for $50k
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mapolus

Has the market really turned around this much in 10 months compared to this ad? I know it's a grey market car, but $30k?! Seems like last summer/winter was the time to buy. Shucks.

Thanks!
Matt
yes, it seems like the 356 market, early 911 market, and 964 turbo market has gone thru the roof this past year.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM
mapolus
Racer

My budget is realistically about $42k max (plus I have 20% allotted to mx in the first year -- $50k total). I know that'll buy a pretty good shape 930 with ~60k miles. I thought I could sneak a 964 that I could do some work over time, but had "good bones." Honestly, the open recall was the clincher on the black one. I don't love my Ford Explorer, but I know if there's an open recall on it and I go get it done as quickly as possible. A $100k car (when new) deserved more from its owner -- which creates a picture of the type of care this car received. Anyways, please let me know if you'all see another 964 that looks worth a test drive. Thanks!

Matt
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM
mapolus
Racer

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Yes, they are at $45k firm. Not a bad price (in Fall of 2012 dollars), if it is advertised truthfully. I'll have to think about that one. On the bright side, I am the type of person that would put receipts in plastic sleeves anyways (former Accountant), so that would save 3 bucks right there...nearly a bargain!

There was an auction on the '92 Turbo a couple weeks ago and it got 1 bid at $35k. I know eBay isn't perfect, but the results should be fairly close to market-price (I know, I know, there are some more market forces at play in eBay auctions that I haven't considered). However, if no one would pay more than $35k then, is it wise to pay $45k now? Seems like a big discrepancy.

Oh, the $50k purchase price thread was talking about the 3.6L on the lot (which went to PPI at $70k, but failed due to a few minor leaks -- buyer was from Abu Dhabi). That's also green, but called Wimbledon Green.

Last edited by mapolus; 11-27-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 964 Turbo for sale?