964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

FVD front spoiler and stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 10:59 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post FVD front spoiler and stereo

Got the car back today from a local car audio shop. They installed an Alpin 8028 alarm and a small stereo consisting of a Blaupunkt Miami 127 (98 model) CD player, Alpine T407 2 channel V12 amplifier, Boston Pro 6.5's and Boston 746 4x6's.

So far, I'm not too happy with the sound quality. The highs are ok, a bit harsh, but I've found that speakers do take some time to break in and either they smooth out or I get more deaf, but either way, it seems to make it better The lows are disapointing to say the least, especially considering it's coming from a 6.5" woofer! I'm going to go play with some of the amplifier settings to see if I can prop it up a bit. I'm a mid-fi sound buff, into the NAD/Energy type of components for home and MB Quart, Soundstream type of stuff for cars so I hope I can make this better or I'll be upset.

The front spoiler came in from FVD. Looks to be well made, we're not quite sure yet if it replaces the factory part or if it slips on top of it. It's being test fitted in a few days (I want to drive my car for a few days since it seems to have been in the shop so much lately getting work done). Just putting it up to the car, it looked really good, great even.

My race tires have also arrived, 245/45R17's for the front and 275/40R17 Kumhos for the rear. I'm going to run them on aftermarket 993 style wheels in 17x7.5 and 17x9 sizes so we'll see if they fit.

As I get each thing dialed in, the car is starting to really come alive. If only my damn Momo wheel would arrive! Apparently, they are custom making it since they don't make that model anymore, everyone just orders the 350mm model, no one gets the 360mm model that I want.

Any questions, fire away.

Farzaan
Old 01-28-2002, 11:42 PM
MFuller
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've owned 3 x 911 Turbos so far and it's nearly impossible to get quality Bass out of them for the simple lack of Door Mass and available hollow areas for development of Bass. The best I've done so far is including a powered bass tube that sits in the back, but you lose 2/3 of your storage space! (laughter)
So mere watts/horsepower ain't enough i'm afraid...consider a mini- Bass tube/subwoofer and you'll start geetting decent balance.
I also disconnected the seperate tweeter and went with coaxial speakers up front to get that spikey hi-end away from ear level.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
FC,

I've been a hifi buff for a long time and couldn't believe how bad the stock setup was in my 930. I ended up installing a pair of ADS 5 1/4 separates in front and Alpine 4x6 plates in back powered by a 40watt per channel Yamaha amp from years ago, all this running from a 10 year old Alpine CD head unit. I was amazed by the base of the ADS speakers. I've used them in the past, but they were paper woofers, the new ones are new technology. I've also used Bostons in the past and they have always worked well, but never gotten the base. I'd like to put a single dual voice coil 10" ADS sub in the back, but I can't figure out where I want to put the amp. Just my $.02.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:45 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
FC,

I noticed that your race setup is on 17" and street setup is on 18". Was curious about that as I am also considering something similar. Since you weigh balanced your car with the 18" wheels, do you think it will make a difference when you go to 17"?
Old 01-29-2002, 11:17 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice info on the splitter. I'm probably going to go this route also pending your final report.

On the tires. I'm running 225/45 and 255/45 Kumho's on 17's on my turbo (fit is no problem). The 245/45's are going to be very close up front. I've got a friend down here that is running 235/35 on 19's and has slight rubbing at full right turn while hitting a bump. Never had a problem at the track though. The 245/45's are just a hair bigger so it'll be close.

Hey, PCANW is putting on a Skill's day and autocross on Feb 17th at Bremerton. I'm probably going to do the Skill's day. Need to get my driving fix in. Can you make it?
Old 01-29-2002, 12:30 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

You need to pump a lot of air to get that deep bass. I use a tube subwoofer that I have installed with straps attached to the seatbelt mountings, the sub is covered with a black leather cover filled with foam attached to the sub with velcro. Looks really good, pretty well camouflaged and easy get out if needed. The kids fits more snug in the back seats now :-)

You need some good speakers in the doors to get that snappy bass, the tube will only give you the deep bass but the good thing is that you won't need to use a hair dryer anymore :-)

Staffan
Old 01-29-2002, 01:42 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've replaced the factory mid range speakers with Polk Audio 5 1/4" mid bass speakers, keep the original tweeters. In the back I installed Infinite Kapa 4 x 6 plate speakers.

The combination has worked well with a Sony head unit with 40watts x 4 channels. The sound quality is much improved over stock. But with the windows down and at freeway speed, I hardly able to hear anything. With the windows up, and listen to a CD, the sound is quite impressive without a dedicated sub in the back. When listen to radio, the sound quality is not as good/strong. But that's just maybe the quality of the Sony headunit.

Sonny Vo
ps: Staffan, have you installed the muffler bypass pipe yet? If so, how do you like it?
Old 01-29-2002, 07:54 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Hi Geoffrey,

[quote]I noticed that your race setup is on 17" and street setup is on 18". Was curious about that as I am also considering something similar. Since you weigh balanced your car with the 18" wheels, do you think it will make a difference when you go to 17"?<hr></blockquote>

The weight difference between the different diameter wheels/tires will not affect the weight balance enough to be a concern. I chose the 17" size for race rubber for three reasons:

1. It's easier and cheaper to source 17" race rubber.
2. Rubber is generally lighter than metal so the total package should be lighter with 17".
3. Coming out of corners, I have more traction with 17" wheels than 18" wheels. The extra sidewall flex seems to help traction coming out of corners. It's somewhat subjective as I can usually turn the same times with 17 or 18 inch wheels, but the 18's seem to be a bit more twitchy and nervous.

Hi jeff91C2T,

[quote]Nice info on the splitter. I'm probably going to go this route also pending your final report.<hr></blockquote>

Once I get all the stereo stuff sorted out and the wheels/tires picked up, then I'll move on the splitter. It will probably be about two weeks or so. I also have to find a place to store all these parts I'm taking off as the shop is getting pissed off.

[quote]On the tires. I'm running 225/45 and 255/45 Kumho's on 17's on my turbo (fit is no problem). The 245/45's are going to be very close up front. I've got a friend down here that is running 235/35 on 19's and has slight rubbing at full right turn while hitting a bump. Never had a problem at the track though. The 245/45's are just a hair bigger so it'll be close.<hr></blockquote>

I expect the 245/275 combo to rub slightly. Since it's for race use, it doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't do any damage to the car. Did you know that with a stock 944 Turbo S, the trailing edge of the rocker panels would scrape the ground during hard cornering! I will report back when I get them installed. The 18's so far have not rubbed at all and I've autocrossed on them; I even checked the oil lines for Adrian.

[quote]Hey, PCANW is putting on a Skill's day and autocross on Feb 17th at Bremerton. I'm probably going to do the Skill's day. Need to get my driving fix in. Can you make it? <hr></blockquote>

We're also having an event here that day. It's a university duel, SFU vs. UBC. UBC is the hosting club so I'm going to race for SFU to try and help the underdog

You can view the <a href="http://www.ubcscc.com/events/2002/autox0102.html" target="_blank">results</a> from the previous event at <a href="http://www.ubcscc.com/events/2002/autox0102.html" target="_blank">http://www.ubcscc.com/events/2002/autox0102.html</a>

I'd love to come to Bremerton though, but I want to bring down the racecar for testing and tuning.

Thanks for the offer,
Farzaan
Old 01-31-2002, 05:15 PM
Fast82930
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Below is a nose shot of my 1982 930. Body has been updated to C2/964 3.8 RSR specs including front splitters and Brake Ducts. Lightweight fiberglass and carbon fiber parts came from The Racers Group.

Jeff, I will be at the Drivers Skills day on 2/17. I need a safer place than SIR to slide around / test the upper limits.

Old 02-04-2002, 12:24 PM
TomS
4th Gear

What I am looking at putting into a C2Turbo.
Nakamichi 45 Head Unit, Focal speakers front and
back. Image Dynamic subwoofers and a 5 Channel
MTX Amp. Rod from Car Audio Innovations makes a
great subwoofer package. thanks, Tom
Old 02-26-2002, 02:40 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

I realized that I never updated my stereo install problems. After listening to the stereo for a few days, I took it back because I was really disapointed in the sound quality. The installer didn't have much time to work with it because I needed the car back so quickly. He listened to it and agreed that it didn't sound good.

He called me in about 1hrs time to ask for permission to make two holes in each door for a firmer speaker mounting (I had requested that there be no new holes added during the stereo/alarm install). I said two holes is fine. Got the car back that day and the sound difference was like night and day. I guess air was leaking from behind the woofer or the mounting was just not firm enough so the speaker didn't have a solid foundation to work from.

Now, the 6.5 bostons sounds way better with real deep bass. In fact, they are begging for a more powerful amplifer as the amp distorts before the speakers give up. I also got them to turn down the front tweeters to the -6db setting so that they don't eat up my ears

Now, I'm very happy with the stereo so I can highly recommend Ralph's Radio in Vancouver. They were working on a 360 Modena when I picked my car up, although the ol' 964 Turbo still attracted more attention. Ask for Jimmy to do the install and tell them Farzaan sent you if you go. I've used Jimmy for about nine years now for stereo/alarm work.

The components I used:
Boston Pro 6.5
Boston component 4x6
Alpine V12 2channel amplifer (2x40)
Blaupunkt 3 volt Miami Beach cd player
Alpine 8028 alarm

fc-racer
Old 03-04-2002, 12:40 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

I got the splitter put on, it looks really good. At first, I didn't like it because I didn't feel the wheels looked aggressive enough, but after driving it for a day or two and getting used to seeing it down there, it really makes the car look purposeful as it comes up behind.

The fit and finish are superb. Weissach (http://www.weissach.com) did an excellent job installing and painting the splitter and also sourcing it. They sourced it from FVD, whose catalogue I also received (really cool stuff in there).

Installation seemed to go fine, the splitter fits far better than the AIR or GT Racing unit I had on my 951 ever did, FVD is a real class act, nice products.

I'll take some pics and post them up.

fc-racer
Old 03-21-2002, 06:53 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

If anyone is interested, I have the FVD splitter for sale in midnight blue metallic. I really liked the look of the FVD unit and it fit well, but I like to try new things and different things so I've ordered three more splitters I'll keep trying different ones until I find the specific look I want, something a bit more aggressive. I might even go with a GT2 wing once I get the splitter I really want (something similar to the 993 GT2) and then I'll need some nice mesh wheels like the Fikse's, etc.

I paid C$400 for the splitter, $400 for prep/painting for a total of C$800 or US$500. Make me an offer, but understand that it will be a pain to ship.

fc-racer
Old 03-23-2002, 10:38 AM
mpladson
Advanced

Exclamation

Hi,
I am running the Kumho wheel and tire combination which works well on my 930. Make sure the aftermarket wheels you are buying have hollow spokes lke the factory. Most aftermarket wheels do not and are very heavy!

Quick Reply: FVD front spoiler and stereo