Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Bad Boys - black calipers - real Turbo 3.6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:30 PM
69COU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I think we agree the 3.3S was the factory car only available in Europe!

Are you saying the S2 was a 3.3 rather than 3.6? I alwas thought that was a later car 3.6 but as US car i stand to be corrected. I need to check Adrian's book as i think this clarifies.

You have got me thinking.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2007, 05:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by 69COU
So I think we agree the 3.3S was the factory car only available in Europe!

Are you saying the S2 was a 3.3 rather than 3.6? I alwas thought that was a later car 3.6 but as US car i stand to be corrected. I need to check Adrian's book as i think this clarifies.

You have got me thinking.

Cheers
Getting off track

The 92 turbo S for the ROW market was about 80 cars produced and were lightweight versions of the 3.3l using speedlines and big red brakes producing IIRC 381 hp. These cars had a special tail similar to the one used on the RSA and the 959 ducts on the rear fenders. They cannot be used on US streets because of the use of light weight materials.

The 92 S2 were 20 US spec 964 turbos converted to S2 by Andial using special cams and turbo and added boost obtained I believe the same 381 hp. These cars had nothing else done to them and looked like a stock 92 3.3l turbo. The first 10 were badged with a turbo emblem and the second 10 were badged with an S2 emblem. I believe that Porsche made these cars so the same engine mods could be used for the US race series of the time. I am not sure if the engine mods were identical to its ROW brother but I believe it was. This would be considered similar to the ROW X33 option. Porsche got around US importation laws buy having the cars modified after they were imported to the US

The 94 Turbo S or Flachbaus were the only 3.6 engined S model with some 39 coming to the us with the slope nose and 19 or less package cars that had the side ducts and no slope nose looking like the ROW 92 turbo S. IIRC there were about 80 or so 94 S's made world wide.

Info here www.flachbau.com

Here are pictures of a 92 ROW turbo S vs a US andial S2. This S2 was modified with Big reds and 18Inch wheels otherwise it came with Cup 1's and Medium S4 black brakes.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Bad Boys - black calipers - real Turbo 3.6?