Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Bad Boys - black calipers - real Turbo 3.6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 03:37 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,
Just need to clear my doubts here. From what I read somewhere, the 3.6 turbo S were sent to Andial for the turbo S conversion. Am I correct or was it another turbo sent to Andial. Apparently 80 units were built by Andial. Pls correct me where I'm wrong.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:30 AM
JohnM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will, 993 Carrera and 993C4 front discs are 304mm. 993RS and 993TT fronts are 322mm.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:30 PM
lcdbilly
7th Gear

PS: There was a limited edition 964 Turbo 3.6 in standard body shape. These had the 3.8L kit installed. Again an option. Very few made and to the best of our knowledge they went to the USA and Japan.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Adrian,

I'm in Hong Kong with a Year 94 made 3.6 turbo. It was not imported from the Hong Kong dealer but somewhere not quite sure (heard that its' from England). I further heard from the the ex-owner that there were only 3 in Hong Kong at that time. It was areokitted with a front spoiler and a RS 3.8 rear spoiler. All ICE were built inside the car, i.e. 3 amps under the front bonnnet and the interior under the front bonnet was rebuilt by woodwork and covered by artificial leather with the same colour of the interior of the car. Further, 2 sub-woofers were built under the rear seats. The rear seats are then higher than those normal and only the children of less than 4 feets height can sit inside. The speakers covers were not covered by metal net but cloth with the same colour of the interior of the car. All the interior is in S. Grey colour save and exceipt the centre of the front seats are in yellow colour. The rear and the rear side windows were stuck with Andial labels. Dont' know whether it is so called the limited edition as you mentioned. Also heard from the ex-owner that the ICE was costs HK$140,000.00 (US$17,500.00)and the ICE shop in Hong Kong told me that the ICE should not be made in Hong Kong but just wonder from where. Was it build by the factory?

Dont' know how to upload the photos in here and if so, I'm glad to post in here for further discussion.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:30 PM
lcdbilly
7th Gear

PS: There was a limited edition 964 Turbo 3.6 in standard body shape. These had the 3.8L kit installed. Again an option. Very few made and to the best of our knowledge they went to the USA and Japan.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Adrian,

I'm in Hong Kong with a Year 94 made 3.6 turbo. It was not imported from the Hong Kong dealer but somewhere not quite sure (heard that its' from England). I further heard from the the ex-owner that there were only 3 in Hong Kong at that time. It was areokitted with a front spoiler and a RS 3.8 rear spoiler. All ICE were built inside the car, i.e. 3 amps under the front bonnnet and the interior under the front bonnet was rebuilt by woodwork and covered by artificial leather with the same colour of the interior of the car. Further, 2 sub-woofers were built under the rear seats. The rear seats are then higher than those normal and only the children of less than 4 feets height can sit inside. The speakers covers were not covered by metal net but cloth with the same colour of the interior of the car. All the interior is in S. Grey colour save and exceipt the centre of the front seats are in yellow colour. The rear and the rear side windows were stuck with Andial labels. Dont' know whether it is so called the limited edition as you mentioned. Also heard from the ex-owner that the ICE was costs HK$140,000.00 (US$17,500.00)and the ICE shop in Hong Kong told me that the ICE should not be made in Hong Kong but just wonder from where. Was it build by the factory?

Dont' know how to upload the photos in here and if so, I'm glad to post in here for further discussion.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:31 PM
lcdbilly
7th Gear

Adrian,

Old 01-02-2003, 12:32 PM
lcdbilly
7th Gear

Adrian,

Old 01-14-2003, 11:47 PM
MarkR (FAST)
Advanced

Guys, I've got the standard "big reds" on my C2 turbo. When I purchased them, I was not asked if I wanted 3.6T "big reds" or 993TT "big reds", just "big reds".

I opted for 993TT pads as well for additional pad longevity (993TT is heavier and hence, a more aggressive/better wearing pad) from my aggressive driving. These calipers bolted up without issue.

For rotors, I opted for the 3.6T rotors becuase the interior veins reportedly have further fins to promote additional cooling. This setup has worked flawlessly for over 4 years.

Hope this helps clear the air. I also have noticed the 2 clearly different cars on Bad Boys, dunno about the black calipers, never heard that before. Couldn't tell if it was just lighting or what...

Mark
Old 01-15-2003, 12:14 AM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys new member here! I just purchased a black 94 3.6 turbo last year. It does have the Black Calipers. I have spoken to several people out here in CA (dealers, Andial etc.) that say it was a customer option. Just my .2c
Old 01-24-2007, 10:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread. Just figured that anyone reading this would like the correct facts.

The 94 3.6T came standard with the same Big red calipers as the 993TT in the front only. Both have the same part number and both use the 58 x132mm front pads and 322x32mm rotors, although the 993TT uses a 2 pieces rotor with different offset rotor than the 964T. The red brakes came standard and an option was offered, at least in the US, to have them painted black.

The Big Black caliper (big red painted black) was first introduced in 1992 on the 928 GTS and was only different by configuration to make it a trailing edge vs leading edge design. Otherwise all the "Big" calipers red or black used the same sized pad and rotor. The 928 and 3.6t rotors are interchangeable with the 3.6T being cross drilled and the 928 being solid faced. The 928 rotor is a good substitute for track junkies looking to avoid cracking issues associated with the cross drilled version.

The 91-92 turbos and Carrera RS's used medium S4 brakes up front which carried a 48x132mm pad on a slightly different 322x32mm rotor. The calipers on the front of the 993 N/A are also medium S4's using a different casting to accommodate the smaller 304x32mm rotors although the same sized pistons were used.

Hope this clears things up for those doing research.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:40 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Anthony,

The PET (ROW) shows the 993TT and 993RS use the same part number front caliper. The front rotors are different part numbers but with the same diameter. I do not know what the rotor differences are though.

Mike
Old 01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by MB965
Anthony,

The PET (ROW) shows the 993TT and 993RS use the same part number front caliper. The front rotors are different part numbers but with the same diameter. I do not know what the rotor differences are though.

Mike
Sorry should have specified 964 RS and that would be the 3.6 not the 3.8 RS the 3.8 I believe used the big reds up front.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:16 PM
underpsi
Instructor

Only the 91-92' 3.3 Turbo "S" were converted by Andial stateside; whereas all the 94' 3.6 are from the factory.

Originally Posted by Sameer
Guys,
Just need to clear my doubts here. From what I read somewhere, the 3.6 turbo S were sent to Andial for the turbo S conversion. Am I correct or was it another turbo sent to Andial. Apparently 80 units were built by Andial. Pls correct me where I'm wrong.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi
Only the 91-92' 3.3 Turbo "S" were converted by Andial stateside; whereas all the 94' 3.6 are from the factory.
The 91-92 andial cars are called "Turbo S2"s. The 91-92 Turbo S was a euro only model.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
69COU
Racer

Originally Posted by underpsi
sorry this is wrong.

The 3.3S was the factory car.
The 3.6S was the converted by Andial.

On the caliper bits quite funny, i got all the way through the posts re Bad Boys thinking i know the answers to this only realise posts were 3 years old.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 69COU
sorry this is wrong.

The 3.3S was the factory car.
The 3.6S was the converted by Andial.

Not quite (see my post above). The 91-92 Turbo S2 was an andial converted car and was sold thru Porsche dealerships.

Quick Reply: Bad Boys - black calipers - real Turbo 3.6?