Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Tial 46 narrow body wastegate

Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 AM
grantd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tial 46 narrow body wastegate

Upgrading the standard wastegate to the Tial 46 and .8 bar spring.

More photos to come as I go

Last edited by grantd; 09-28-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 AM
grantd
Intermediate

Original wastegate as shown with the Tial awaiting install
Attached Images  

Last edited by grantd; 09-28-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 AM
grantd
Intermediate

All installed a very easy upgrade. The Tial wastgate takes up much less space than the original.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it sure looks pretty what is advantage of this over the stock wastegate?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

none If the stock not worn out
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a red one as well ..

I found a great deal on a regular body Tial 46 mm and took a belt sander with 40 grit to it ...
took about 3 min and it was a narrow body
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Hat
none If the stock not worn out
Mine had a badly worn valve guide and was so corroded that I broke the mounting flange off of the J pipe removing it. As for pulling the w/g apart, forgetaboutit...

There is a small weight savings with the Tial. Besides, the old, worn out iron stock w/g makes a great anchor.

I'm now running duals:
Attached Images   
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guru, that's a bad *** clamp!
Are you running duals for space or twin scroll? I forgot.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:31 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 151 Posts

On my TiAL installation I made the reference line out of braided Stainless with aluminum Earls threaded fittings and did not use worm and roller clamps. This is a much better \ reliable solution.

Yasin
Old 06-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharker
Well, it sure looks pretty what is advantage of this over the stock wastegate?
Stock system is highly variable in terms of actual initial and terminal opening pressures and typically over boosts. Tial is highly accurate and does not over boost.

Stock spring starts to open around .5-.7 bar (.7 bar is highest boost gauge reading) and fully opens in a range of .8-.85 bar - not very accurate and typically overboosts. And the stock unit with the factory 1 bar spring fully opens 1 - 1.1 bar and a little more on over boost - again not very accurate.

With the Tial you can use a progressive spring set up to get 1bar. By combining a .8 bar and .2 bar spring. So starts opening at .8bar and fully opens at 1bar - with accuracy, no over boost. So full boost to .8 bar and full pressure release at 1 bar. This is what I have on my car. The stock unit sits in box where it belongs.

btw I have tested all three sets ups with a boost gauge running off the intercooler - stock, stock 1 bar and the Tial progressive
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 AM
turboholic
Racer

Yesterday night I used my wastegate as an anchor. It fell off on the autobahn at +200km/h, the complete WG assembly including the left exhaust tip. Luckily the intercooler hose attached to it kept it grinding on the street, avoiding not to fly away completely. First I thought my engine went dead because I saw a lot of sparks in the rearmirror Also, there were other cars behind me and imagine if the whole assembly fell off what could have happened OMG

After stopping, I was very happy that the engine kept running showing good numbers in oilpressure and no sign of damage or no oil on the street. The WG and left tip was still there just behind the car, only held by the attached IC hose. After I calmed down, I unscrewed the IC hose and put the WG inside the trunk. I drove home sloooowly without WG and left tip but very happy that nothing worse happened.

What was the cause? The WG is an aftermarket one which I installed along with headers and 7006 turbo a couple of years ago. ALL 4 screws which connect the WG to the header were corroded badly and finally gave up. I didnt see or realize this until yesterday and regarding the age (about 3-4 years) I am very surprised. The WG now has the remains of the screws inside the 4 threads which need to be pulled out. Maybe I wont do this because the WG has grindmarks anyway and I just order a Tial or similar.

Please !!! Check the 4 connecting screws of your Wastegate for corrosion at least when changing oil or doing other maintenance under your car to avoid this happening to you. I was shocked and really thought that the engine gave up, hearing the grinding noise and seeing the sparks behind my car. the IC hose is very strong and eventually saved lives last night. Just imagine driving behind a P-Car and all of a sudden the exhaust is flying against your windshield at high speed It was pure luck the IC hose didnt let go

I would like to post a pic of the WG and tip but sadly my camera is not with me at this moment. If I can make a pic I will post it here later. Stay safe
Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by turboholic
Please !!! Check the 4 connecting screws of your Wastegate for corrosion at least when changing oil or doing other maintenance under your car to avoid this happening to you
Solution is stainless bolts and anti-seize since I always have my exhaust apart for one reason or another.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slownrusty
On my TiAL installation I made the reference line out of braided Stainless with aluminum Earls threaded fittings and did not use worm and roller clamps. This is a much better \ reliable solution.

Yasin
That's a nice setup, which headers are those?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 151 Posts

B&Bs that I bought brand new and then had them Jet-Hot Coarted, they are now for sale.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What are you running now?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tial 46 narrow body wastegate