964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 PM
JBurer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 Turbo For Sale

A more focused track car is in my future so I am planning to sell my '91 964 Turbo. It has 59,080 miles (18,000 miles on the EFI conversion) and is in great running order. Aesthetically, I'd rate the car a "nice driver" - nice enough that I always get compliments on the car's condition, but not so nice I'm afraid to drive it. When I bought the car about 2 years ago I had a PPI done by Franz Blam Racing (one of the nation's leading 3.3L turbo Porsche gurus - http://www.franzblamracing.com/) who found no faults except for a couple minor oil leaks.

During my ownership, I've found the car to be very reliable and a joy to drive. I live near the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains and virtually all of the miles I've put on the car have been nice weather weekend driving in the North Georgia and North Carolina mountains (see video below). As it sits now, the car needs nothing - within the last 1,000 miles I put new tires on the car when I upgraded to 18" rims, replaced the brake master cylinder and had the brake system serviced (pads, fluid, etc). About 5,000 miles ago I had the A/C system serviced and the charge still blows cold. Oil changed every year or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. Valves adjusted and new spark plug wires 5,000 miles ago. Service recepits available back to 2004.

EFI Conversion
TurboKraft (aka the extremely talented Chris Carroll) converted this car to EFI about 18,000 miles ago, in 2005, and it's been basically bug free. I've outlined the major components that were done during the conversion below. Full details on the build, along with pictures, are outlined on TurboKraft's website here - http://www.turbokraft.com/gallery/v/964/Bruce_964/

The work TurboKraft performed was a base performance upgrade - it optimized the system for some modern technology (modern turbocharger and electronic fuel injection), giving the car more power but still an OEM-like drive-ability and reliability. I had the car dynoed in late 2010 (about 1,000 miles ago) and horsepower output is nearly identical to when the car was converted in 2005: 424 wheel horsepower / 363 wheel torque (or roughly 500 horsepower at the flywheel) at 1 bar of boost. In this configuration, the car has passed emissions here in Georgia the past two years.

Dyno video -

Further Dyno tuning by TurboKraft during the conversion produced the below results with 91 Octane Gas and a non-cat exhaust:

High Boost Setting: 468rwhp / 430rwtq @ 17.5 psi
Low Boost Setting: 442rwhp / 389rwtq @ 15.7 psi

Modifications
TurboKraft Digital EFI(Electronic Fuel Injection) Conversion
AEM Engine Management, Milspec connector, wideband AFR sensor, etc
Garrett GT3582R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo
Billy Boat Stainleses Sport Headers w/Heat Exchangers
Custom Exhaust with Free-Flow Catalytic Converter and Fabspeed Exhaust Tips
1994 Turbo S M4P3-Option Camshafts (964 profile)
Turbo RS Clutch Package
RS3.8 Lightweight Chromoly Flywheel
993 Turbo High Strength Aluminum Clutch Plate
RS38 High Friction Organic Disc w/Spring Hub
Custom Intake with K&N Element
MSD 6A Ignition Amplifier

The car also has Bilstein Shocks (Franz Blam Racing believed it was the PSS9 coil-over kit), and an aftermarket CD player and amplifier.

The title is clean and lien-free. There was a bump in the rear some years ago - I believe in a parking lot. There were some rock chips and a couple scratches (addressed with Dr. Color Chip) and a small tear (approx 2mm in size) in the headliner, but otherwise the car is in very good shape.

If you're looking for a well-sorted, turn-key 965 Turbo to drive and enjoy, this is your car. Asking $50,000. Please contact me via email (johnburer at gmail.com) or PM if interested. The car is located in Atlanta, GA.

Mountain driving last fall -
Pictures -
https://picasaweb.google.com/1059493...ChwOKcnNTQyAE#
Best,
John
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

John, great car. That hp figure is very impressive.
Can you comment on the driving characteristics of the car before and after the mods?
Good luck with the sale.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 08-02-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Gandara
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice car. If I remember correctly this is probably the same car that was owned by someone in houston and before that the ebay ad on it had some amazing pictures of ext and int. Very nice, good luck with sale.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:39 PM
castorjs
Instructor

Nice car. I am looking for one but $50k is out of my price range.

jon
castorjs@yahoo.com
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
dryheat
Advanced

John,
What wheels are you using in the Dyno video? They look like RH's but I'm not sure. The wheels in the photos attached via the picasaweb link look different, maybe the Kinesis wheels that used to be offered by BWmotorosports, but I'm not sure about that either...which are on it now?...

Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
JBurer
Advanced

I forgot to mention, Boeing 717 and Bogey1 (both Rennlisters) have seen the car and/or rode in the Turbo.

Good eye, dryheat! The 17" rims were a 3.6T Speedline replica that is no longer being made. When one of the spokes developed a stress crack, I tried to have them repaired only to find 1 other sets of centers in the country. Recognizing the design flaw, and potential for it to happen again, I opted to buy a set of 18" Keskins to replace them. If you look at the pictures i posted, the first few are of the car with the 17"'s and the last six or so are with the car as it sits today.

By the way, assuming I still have the Turbo - I'll bring it to the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta again this year. Anyone who wants to caravan up is welcome to join. We had a small caravan last year.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

John, same question. Please compare driving characteristics pre and post mods.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 PM
JBurer
Advanced

Hey Paul,
Sorry - missed your question!
I can't give a good first hand pre-post comparison as I purchased the car post EFI conversion. It's actually one of the main reasons I purchased this particular car, as I have some familiarity with the standalone ECU's from various cars I've built in the past.

That said, the OEM KKK turbocharger spools up more slowly than this ball bearing turbo does. In 3rd gear, the GT35 with the cams and exhaust system on this car sees boost threshold by 1800rpms and full boost by roughly 3700rpms.

On the other end of the spectrum from stock - I rode with Don Enderlein in his 3.5L modified 930 before he sold it last year. With the 4 speed transmission (ie. more load, so quicker spool all else equal) he had noticeably more mid range torque... less of the traditional 3.3L rush in the higher rpms. Part of the fun, in my opinion!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

John, thanks. I've heard nothing but positive feedback about the Garrett ball bearing turbos for you as well as others.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Mannyfern
2nd Gear

John, did you sell the car? Your pic page is not working. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Pm sent
Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBurer
TurboKraft Digital EFI(Electronic Fuel Injection) Conversion
AEM Engine Management, Milspec connector, wideband AFR sensor, etc
Garrett GT3582R Dual Ball Bearing Turbo
Billy Boat Stainleses Sport Headers w/Heat Exchangers
Custom Exhaust with Free-Flow Catalytic Converter and Fabspeed Exhaust Tips
1994 Turbo S M4P3-Option Camshafts (964 profile)
Turbo RS Clutch Package
RS3.8 Lightweight Chromoly Flywheel
993 Turbo High Strength Aluminum Clutch Plate
RS38 High Friction Organic Disc w/Spring Hub
Custom Intake with K&N Element
MSD 6A Ignition Amplifier
This is exactly the direction that I'm taking my car in (except for B&B headers; already have custom M&K headers). Good to know what I can expect.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:06 PM
JBurer
Advanced

Sorry - missed the posts on here.
I still have the car and will be driving it over to a tech session with the 356 guys this weekend. Still gets regular exercise!

Pictures are up here - https://picasaweb.google.com/1059493...ip_4XE74j01QE#
Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice, if I was still in the market, I would make you a serious cash offer.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo For Sale