964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

1994 3.6 Turbo on e-bay

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 1994 3.6 Turbo on e-bay

came across this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks no affiliation
Old 08-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a really nice car.

Surprised to see a car in that price range in the states.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:29 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
Seems like a really nice car.

Surprised to see a car in that price range in the states.
I am surprised about the asking price as well. Is this really what they are selling for now?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:18 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

He is about $20K (or more) overpriced regardless of the ultra low miles. Nice car, but not $83K nice. Does not even have Sport Seats.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Sorry I disagree. 18,000 mile original car. Asking price is low. Should easily sell in the high 70's to low 80's. Everyone wants a discount in this market. I would have priced it at $86k. If this car is as clean as it looks with polished speedlines on black with supple leather it is a nice car for those looking to collect. very few left in this condition and mileage.

the only thing missing that i can tell is the carpet around the CD changer.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Everyone wants a discount in this market.
+1. Especially for the 3.3 Turbos. Seems like the 3.3s have dropped down to the prices of later 930's.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 08-17-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I say it is worth every penny...you can go to a dealer and buy a new porsche any day...how many opportunities do you get to buy a turbo 3.6? Heck, I think I have the only one on the island of Puerto Rico.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

Cobalt I hear ya buddy! But my bet is that the car will not sell, infact not even come close....the market is not that strong and still struggling to recover.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting, I think I saw this car when I was in Illinois. Looks almost like a duplicate of mine. I will be watching this one.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Cobalt I hear ya buddy! But my bet is that the car will not sell, infact not even come close....the market is not that strong and still struggling to recover.
IMO the market has nothing to do with the price of these cars. We are noticing a strong increase in value currently in low mileage 928GTS's. Same scenario as the 94 turbo 3.6. around 400 built very few nice examples left and when the 94 turbos with 12k miles were selling in the mid $90k similar 928GTS's were commanding mid $50-60K range. Recently 928 GTS's with 13-18k miles have been selling between $75-100k. The higher mileage cars are still holding solid at $29-45k.

I would agree if this car had more mileage prices would fall off fast however very few 3.6T's worth mentioning have sold within the past year and nice clean low mileage cars haven't sold for a while longer. I think you will find this car will bring more than $75k possibly low $80k. While the rest of them will continue to hover where they are. I know of a 70k mile 94T that recently sold for $60k. If they could get that much for a high mileage car I don't see why this car won't sell. Unfortunately, this car might sell to an oversees buyer which will only make the number less here in the US and eventually value the remaining cars no matter what condition worth more than current market.

The biggest questions are how desperate is the seller and are the collectors currently interested in this model.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

^^^Problem I see that someone looking to purchase this vehicle may not want to stick this thing in a garage and stare at it. Putting miles on it will dramatically reduce it's worth. Is it special enough for a collector at this point?Looking back most guys that were looking for a 3.6t, were also looking to drive them. IMO this car would probably go for $72k-$76k...

The economy is hurting your working class the most(which were your most buyers a few years ago). Those with deep pockets may either buy something new or something very rare(and extremely expensive). IMO the 3.6t is not there yet(but certainly very close). It's sort of bittersweet because these cars are meant to be driven and not used as paperweight.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speednme
^^^Problem I see that someone looking to purchase this vehicle may not want to stick this thing in a garage and stare at it. Putting miles on it will dramatically reduce it's worth. Is it special enough for a collector at this point?Looking back most guys that were looking for a 3.6t, were also looking to drive them. IMO this car would probably go for $72k-$76k...

The economy is hurting your working class the most(which were your most buyers a few years ago). Those with deep pockets may either buy something new or something very rare(and extremely expensive). IMO the 3.6t is not there yet(but certainly very close). It's sort of bittersweet because these cars are meant to be driven and not used as paperweight.
That is why I said it all depends on how desperate the seller is. This car will not sell at the asking price overnight. This is a 6 month proposition. The more research i do shows that there are way too few of these cars left in the US. It is iconic and as you see there are rarely any on the market as there were a few years back. Even Ray Joseph rarely has one for sale anymore.

Many cars have sold below market value due to desperate sellers looking for a quick sale. Most of these cars were higher mileage cars with less desirable color combos without options.

Back in 05 i could have found you 6 or 8 for sale at any given time easily. Now it is not so easy to find more than one or two. Many of them are nowhere near this condition. If I was looking I would rather buy a lower mileage car for more $$ than a 70k mile car for $20k less. An engine rebuild can easily run you the difference and the car would depreciate even more as it climbs towards 100k miles.

I can't comment on what someone wants to do with their cars. It is up to them to drive it or not. I take mine out occasionally but I have other cars to enjoy too. I will agree that now as the Gt3's and 996TT's are dropping into the $30k to $50k price range it has an impact on these cars but more so for the higher mileage cars that will be driven more extensively.

i guess only time will tell.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
I don't think people buy these cars for an investment so depreciation due to mileage is an accepted fact. I think, some people will simply look for a low mileage car. The problem is that most potential buyers for a car like this are cash buyers and in today's economy there are not many of them around. Funny thing is that I currently have my GT3 for sale and 1/3 of the RL PMs I got were related to selling my 3.6t instead (which is not for sale) - that tells me that there is demand out there for low mileage cars.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that this is the one that was at the PCA autocross at the Autobahn CC about 10 days ago. Looks and sounds nice in person too! Drool...
Old 08-19-2010, 09:57 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I don't think people buy these cars for an investment so depreciation due to mileage is an accepted fact. I think, some people will simply look for a low mileage car. The problem is that most potential buyers for a car like this are cash buyers and in today's economy there are not many of them around. Funny thing is that I currently have my GT3 for sale and 1/3 of the RL PMs I got were related to selling my 3.6t instead (which is not for sale) - that tells me that there is demand out there for low mileage cars.
I agree with you this car is not really an investment(unless you are willing to store it for a few years). With 18,000 miles is it really worth $83k( I guess only time will tell). As Colbat stated it is probably a 6 month(or longer)proposition. I wish the seller best of luck...just a bad time to sell..

Quick Reply: 1994 3.6 Turbo on e-bay