Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

965 3.3 heat exchangers

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

If you have broken studs the best repair technique is to cut them off flush with the head and drill them out with a purpose-built drill guide purchased from a chap that goes by the screen name A Quiet Boom over on the Pelicanparts bb. Should you buy a guide from him let me know as the he doesn't supply the right sized pilot. I made my own and I'm sure he would make one for you if given the proper dimensions.
As for heat exchangers, they should be easily sourced over here in the U.S.
Check Ebay for them as well as the various breakers we have here.
I would encourage you to drive another car with headers as they do transform the car. You can keep the stock stuff on the shelf (as I have done) for later installation when required.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 03-26-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Big Jock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that.What I want to do is cut the heat exchanger pipes 1.5" from the exhaust flange on the cylinder head.The 3 'allen' nuts are well worn and tight.The other 3 nuts are smaller than they should be because of rust.With the heat exchanger out of the way Ill be able to get heat in about the bolts and nuts and release them all.The broken ones will be taken care of by my 'magician'.He's the man who can weld a tin can to the *** of a cat!!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Duncan, if I recall correctly, the heat exchangers are the same part left and right - it's just the connecting pipe that bolts on to each one that is different.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:12 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jock
Luckily Megatron uk has promised me a l/hand one and hopefully I'll be able to source a r/hand.Maybe you could help me locate one?
Last time I looked the heat exchangers are the same on the left & right, the RH exhaust outlet is extended across to the J pipe with a seperate cross-over pipe; it's only the n/a 964 that has handed exhangers because the LH one is built with an integral merge and cross-over pipe. That should help with your search!
Old 03-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Here's a pair on Ebay U.S: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item3352ac5bdc

Quick Reply: 965 3.3 heat exchangers