Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Rear Brake Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Rear Brake Dilemma

Ok guys i finally found some aftermarket rear brakes for our cars.
http://www.r1concepts.com/PORSCHE/91...sDetail.htm/NA

Heres my problem, the rotors while they seem nice will not fit correctly. I havent spoken to them since they sent me a message saying that they will refund my money but they cant make me a set that will fit?? WTF?? Heres the problem, the 2 countersunk screw holes that take those 2 little screws that screw the rotor onto the hub are in the wrong spot. I am waiting on a guy who sais he might have a couple of good used genuine rotors. But until then I cant spend 600 dollars on 2 new Porsche rotors, i have already spent 2500 dollars so far this month on my car and my wife would have a COW!! SO.......what do you think about rotating the rotor and drilling 2 holes in the wheel hub then tapping them to accept those 2 little screws??? Or perhaps drilling and countersinking 2 new holes in the rotors that will fit the screw holes in the hubs.

HOLES DONT MATCH UP.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 03-14-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:07 AM
benzyne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to make sure that you're putting the left one on the left side and right one on the right side. Perhaps the little holes are offset on each side to protect from incorrect mounting?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by benzyne
I just want to make sure that you're putting the left one on the left side and right one on the right side. Perhaps the little holes are offset on each side to protect from incorrect mounting?
Yea i thought about that......but no dice.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 PM
benzyne
Advanced

Hmm, sorry. I'm not an engineer, so I'd be hesitant to recommend drilling or not drilling. I do know that that little bolt just lightly holds the rotor in place. When you mount the wheel, and torque up the lug nuts, that seems to do much more of the securing.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are the rotors exactly the same as factory other than this small mounting hole? If so, what I would do is rotate the rotor to a blank spot and drill the hole for the small screw to hold rotor to the hub. Jim
Old 03-14-2010, 02:13 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

Is it me or are the rotors bigger then stock. Also I bought some off ebay and the guy emailed me saying sorry they were not drilled. I went ahead and asked for repayment.
To your question I would say both will work you can drill or just not use the screw. Your rim holds the rotor in place with out the screw.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Boeing 717

Yea its a shame i was hoping these things would work so we would have an alternative, but a guy just emailed me that he has 2 new porsche rotors that he would sell me for 400 dollars, so with the refund on these it would only be another 150.00 so i think ill do that. I find it really odd that the company that makes these say they cant make a set with altered screw holes, so basically their entire inventory is no good.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:25 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Jerry - it was stated you could use these rotors without the screws. It really makes no difference. The screws simply hold in place. Once the wheels are bolted up that is what really keeps them where they need to be. Re drill. $150 is a lot for two holes. Now if the rotors are no good that is a different story. Jim Your car - my vote either drill or ignore the holes and be done.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Boeing 717

Thanks alot Jim, I was just kind of worried that it would be difficult to get the calipers on when the rotor is a little loose. I thought that i had read here in the past that the wheel was really what was holding the things on. As far as the quality of these rotors i just dont know, i am questioning it now. I would hate to put these on just to have them warp in a few hundred miles then it would end up costing me alot more than the extra 150 bucks. Im researching a few leads for genuine rotors and if the price is right ill go that route. Its nice to know i can use these if i have to though.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Boeing 717

Well i have been reading reviews on several 350z and lexus forums and the rotors seem to get really good reviews. So im torn at the moment.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:48 PM
kleinbbc2
Racer

If the fit use them and report back to us. I would have got mine but they were not drilled.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Boeing 717

Ok Klein, I am probably going to use these. Just wanna check on some other rotors tomorrow if they dont pan out ill slap these on and let you guys know if they are worthy of our fine machines.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by kleinbbc2
Is it me or are the rotors bigger then stock.
Also i measured them today and they are the same size in all other areas as the original.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
jim dorociak
Rennlist Member

Are you able to rotate the position of the holes by moving them one hole over and then you should be able to mark where to drill the hole, in fact you should be able to use the old rotor hole as a guide when you drill. Once drilled take a larger drill bit that is the size of the screw head and just start the bigger hole and that will counter sink for the screw head. It really should not be that bad. Maybe the seller will kick a little money back to you instead of a refund and the shipping costs that will be incurred. Jim
Old 03-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by jim dorociak
Are you able to rotate the position of the holes by moving them one hole over and then you should be able to mark where to drill the hole, in fact you should be able to use the old rotor hole as a guide when you drill. Once drilled take a larger drill bit that is the size of the screw head and just start the bigger hole and that will counter sink for the screw head. It really should not be that bad. Maybe the seller will kick a little money back to you instead of a refund and the shipping costs that will be incurred. Jim
Yea Jim i dont think it would be a big deal at all to drill another hole, if you look at the third picture down that i posted i think i could just countersink that second little hole to the right of the countersunk hole and drill a hole in the hub right there. But i think ill just mount them as is and see if they work ok without going through the trouble.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Dilemma