Custom Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:54 PM
zarpoxx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Muffler

Hello,

I am building now my own "964 turbo S leichbau", so I am going in the lightweight route, and I wonder if I could do anything with my muffler system.

My car has GSF headers, stock turbo (K27-7200), catbypass (GHL) and Stock muffler. I would like to take off the catbypass and the stock muffler and place some kind of "custom muffler" directly bolt in the turbo, like the magnaflows, borla Xr1, burns, etc..

My questions are:

1. Which magnaflow I have to go? (I said that because in their web page there are a lot of models).

2. In case of Borla, I know that I have to go to the Borla XR 1, but there are different types (multicore racing muffler, and sport racing muffler), which one?

3. Any suggestion?

My car has 415 hp at flywheel, and I would like that the muffler system do not comes too noisy (like zork or a free muffler system).

I know that few of you have this systems working, and I think you are very happy with it, so your advices will be apreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Gisleno.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I have a RarlyL8 muffler that goes in place of my cat. It weighs 7 lb. and is not too noisy.
You would have to design and fab a tail piece to finish it but it's a weight savings 43 lb over the stock set-up right where you need it.
Are you doing away with power accessories and the sunroof?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Gisleno,

I went with the Borla XR1, sportsman muffler custom fabricated which replaced an older model B&B. The sound is louder then stock of course, but not overly so. Results for me were excellent as the B&B must have had significant back pressure. It's also a smaller size so an easier fit.

If I had to do it over again, I would do what Paul did and go with Rarly's muffler. Certainly less hassle.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 AM
zarpoxx
Advanced

Thank you for your inputs.

I emailed Brian (RarlyL8), but he said me that now it is not avaible the muffler to the 965 series. For me it not a problem to wait that Brian has the muffler finished, but I do not know when.

Jeff, It is very difficult to do with the Borla? Any picture about the DIY?

Metalguru: I do not go until these levels (I retain the roof, alarm, the electric windows, radio CD, etc..). The conversion is:

- Rs cluch (flywheel & cluch)

- Air hoses to the front brakes.

- Composite front hood.

- Composite turbo S leichbau wing.

- RS rear glass (with rear wiper delete)

- Recaro Pole position.

- Ruf front & Rear brake callipers (are 993 TT front callipers and standars 3.3/3.6 rear callipers).

-Odyssey P925 battery with kill swicth.

- All the insulation off (rear and floor). Covered with RS carpet.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:43 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your list of changes...

Unfortunately I don't have a very good pic readily available. Below is the best I could find.

I took my car to a rally speed shop that does a lot of welding and they did the installation. It was a relatively easy job as the muffler is small and fits in easily. You'll need the tail pipes and bracket to fit to the turbo. If you have a good custom exhaust shop they might be able to help out. I paid a little extra to have the air pump line attached and the total came to $225 (it is a pretty straight forward job...not a lot of work).

Originally Posted by zarpoxx
Thank you for your inputs.

I emailed Brian (RarlyL8), but he said me that now it is not avaible the muffler to the 965 series. For me it not a problem to wait that Brian has the muffler finished, but I do not know when.

Jeff, It is very difficult to do with the Borla? Any picture about the DIY?

Metalguru: I do not go until these levels (I retain the roof, alarm, the electric windows, radio CD, etc..). The conversion is:

- Rs cluch (flywheel & cluch)

- Air hoses to the front brakes.

- Composite front hood.

- Composite turbo S leichbau wing.

- RS rear glass (with rear wiper delete)

- Recaro Pole position.

- Ruf front & Rear brake callipers (are 993 TT front callipers and standars 3.3/3.6 rear callipers).

-Odyssey P925 battery with kill swicth.

- All the insulation off (rear and floor). Covered with RS carpet.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
zarpoxx
Advanced

Thanks Jeff for the picture. It is a oval muffler or a Round muffler?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Here's the RarlyL8 muffler on my car.
You would need to have a tailpiece made to run to a G pipe and then to attach the exhaust tip to the G pipe.
You would also need to run the fresh air to the r/h heat exchanger as the tailpiece would interfere with the stock stainless pipe that's there now.
Very little fabrication required.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 AM
zarpoxx
Advanced

Thank you Paul for the info.

Quick Reply: Custom Muffler