964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Bad Boys goof

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bad Boys goof

Saw the Bad Boys movie again tonight for probably the 10.000th time.

At the end chase where they go side by side with the Cobra you see the RPM gauge upclose, and it goes from around 2000 RPM to the red. What you also get to see is the onboard computer which shows '0.0 Bar' all the way. WTF.

I am actually a little bit disappointed...
Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 375 Posts

There are a number of other differences e.g. different car at the start [black brakes and embossed head rest as opposed to red brakes and no embossing at the end]. I don't think the Director expected the movie to be pulled apart scene by scene.

Last edited by John McM; 01-09-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More realistic than Fast and Furious.

Not sure my boost gauge registers anything anymore.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read somewhere that they used 2 different cars in the movie, sourced from Champion Porsche/Audi. One was a 3.3 and one a 3.6. They swapped the wheels to keep the look the same.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Actually I think they used 3 cars. One was wacked doing the filming AFAIR.

The car used in the beginning of the film has black brakes and Porsche logos on the headrest (this car belonged to the director). The car used in the end chase has no Porsche crest on the headrest and instead of black brakes it has red ones.
Please correct me if I am wrong on this. I think Cobalt knows more about this.

The car used in the end scene is a 3.6, I don't know if the car used in the beginning is a 3.3 or 3.6 - maybe someone else knows ?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
dewael.eu
Advanced

I thought that one of the cars was actually from the producer Jerry Bruckheimer himself...
Old 01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

The car in the primary scenes was a 94 turbo. It was ordered an owned by Michael bay until he sold it to someone who sold it to my friend Mike who sold it a while back to a collector in NC. The car came with Big Blacks which were available from the factory as an option.

IIRC the film used 2 cars a 3.3 for some scenes and the 3.6 for all the driving scenes and a partial car (cabin) that was used to film some of the in car scenes. Mike told me but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Mike had the car completely refreshed prior to selling it. It had some minor body work but no evidence of anything major. It was a nice clean car with full leather and a strong motor. Sad to see it put away in a private collection never to be seen again.

Pictures of the actual car attached taken about 6 months before he sold it. We met up with Frank993c4s down south Jersey for the shots.
Attached Images     

Last edited by cobalt; 01-12-2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: old age forgetful memory
Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
dewael.eu
Advanced

http://www.porsche964turbo.com/index...vies&Itemid=57
Old 01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

[Cobalt] So the car used in the beginning is a '94 with black brakes ... and the car used in the end chase is also a 3.6 as it has red brakes and the 3.6 designation on the back lid. This makes two 3.6 cars, where was the 3.3 ever used then ? And if it was used that would make 3 cars total.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vifa
[Cobalt] So the car used in the beginning is a '94 with black brakes ... and the car used in the end chase is also a 3.6 as it has red brakes and the 3.6 designation on the back lid. This makes two 3.6 cars, where was the 3.3 ever used then ? And if it was used that would make 3 cars total.
Maybe it is me but I never saw red brakes. I checked on my large screen tv and I only see black brakes. Can someone point out where they see red brakes?

I do know the car I posted pictures of is the car from the movie. It has black brakes and Mike had a letter from Bruckheimer stating it was the primary car used in the movie. It also was sold with the same plate as the car in the movie & poster.

Neither of the scenes in the movie posted in the link showed red brakes. Where am I missing the red brakes? It was my understanding the red brakes were a distraction and that is why they opted for the black brakes. IIRC Mike said the special info (directors comments) state most all the facts about the movie.although I never bother listening to them.

I guess if you really look closely you can find numerous issues with the movie. I never noticed that when they were looking down the barrel of Smith's gun you can see light meaning there was no bullet in the chamber. It was a low budget movie ie the reasoning for using Bruckheimer's personal car. I also recall that when this was discussed many years back the apartment used belonged to the brother of one of the owners of FVD.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-12-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: old age
Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
Can someone point out where they see red brakes?
When Marcus drives into the hangar and Mike is lying on the floor. When Mike finally get into the car an upclose of the wheels is shortly showed - red brakes.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vifa
When Marcus drives into the hangar and Mike is lying on the floor. When Mike finally get into the car an upclose of the wheels is shortly showed - red brakes.
I will check that again tonight. IIRC when I first looked at that scene I thought they were red also but I believe it was a reflection from the fire off of the speedline.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a few old links on Bad Boys Turbo.

Bad Boys first surface
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...-bad-boys.html

Black calipers
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...o-3-6-a-3.html

New owner
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...ownership.html
Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SonnyV

I did say my memory was going. So Mike was the third owner. he did have all the documentation from Jerry Bruckheimer Films but the car belonged to Michale Bay. I also felt at one time it had red calipers. i will have to double check again tonight now I am getting concerned my memory is going faster than I thought.

Originally Posted by Bad Boys 1
This car was put on Ebay by an employee of the owner and he didn't have any Porsche
knowledge but did have info on movie use. The movie had a low budget so the producer
Michael Bay decided to use his own car. There were a few duplicate cars and some that
were just pieces of a car, like when they shot close ups in car there were no windows.
The car I bought was only used in the opening scene, when Will Smith goes to Martin
Lawerence's house and at the crime scene at the hotel.

Most movie cars usually get trashed, however this car was the producers own vechicle
so it was not damaged in any way. I purchased the car from the second owner, Pat
Sandston, who purchased it from M.B. Pat was also a friend and producer at Jerry
Bruckheimer Films. He purchased it with 21k miles.

When the guy put the car on Ebay he took it to a park for photos and drove down a dirt
road , so the photos looked lousy. That kind of worked in my favor during purchase
as a lot of people thought the car was trashed.

Chris.......I don't know the reason for the front plate, I think it was just for effect,
but I'm leaving it on.

If anybody is interested in the details of sale I would be glad to accomadated
Thanks for the interest.............Mike
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

OK so my memory is shot. I should learn not to second guess myself.

I reviewed the movie and there are 2 3.6T's used. The one in the last scene clearly has red brakes. You notice it clearly just before it is driven into the hanger. For a brief moment the car can be seen and it has red calipers. So there is a second 3.6 that can be said to have been in the movie. I can only assume this is also the car that is raced down the runway in the final scene.

Quick Reply: Bad Boys goof