964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Turbo S / 3.8 RS front splitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by rufm5
cobalt yours looks aftermarket where it is bolted on and the carnewal looks like one piece?
Agreed the carnewal one does look like one piece. That is the confusion. As stated I compared mine directly to numerous factory 964 turbo S's. These are the actual cars with the original splitters on them and mine matched theirs. The pictures I posted are just a few turbo S's I have seen up close.

I thought I was quite clear about that.

Nothing against Gert but I probably know as much about these cars as any expert. The US versions at least. So believe what you want. I have no doubt in my mind that mine are the real deal just the same as the turbo S tail.

I will say that Porsche has been re-manufacturing speedlines and they had an issue with the small case i vs an upper case I in SPEEDLiNE. Who is to say they haven't retooled the front splitter and are now selling a revised version.

In any case The carnewal piece looks like a quality product and far less than the $500 US I paid for mine 7 years ago.

parsecnc4

Looking good!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I wished someone had a part number as the factory pieces on my car need replacing and these spliters are exactly what I have been looking for. The only number I have found so far is a tequipment number A 000 043 300 10 which has 2 problems. NLA and the pic is not good enough in the PET to know if it has the splitters? My parts guy is sending an email to enquire about this one so we will see if it is available or not? No slight to Gert but shipping from over the pond is a killer as I do it often on the Italians I race.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I emailed Gert and he said they were two pieces like the original...not one molded part.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:12 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default splitters

Hi,

Just quickly looked through this,so not to get in a bun fight ,Try fvd for a really good replica part, its a one piece affair that screws on the original under tays[could be bonded if scared of screws)
I have one and it has fooled most people at the shows that its not a Oe part,
Power marques uk supplied mine' Nigel ' uk fvd dealer.

Regards Gaz
Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

I have a brand-new -still not fitted- original set (which i bought from a well-known fellow owner a few years ago). Part no's for these splitters are 965.505.151.01.01C (left hand side) and 965.505.152.01.01C (right hand side), however they also show 964.505.201.80 (left-hand side) and 964.505.202.80 (right hand side)!! As Cobalt quite rightly says, they are bolted on i.e. not one molded piece. They are a two-piece item.

Gert Hi, could you post the part numbers please?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
I emailed Gert and he said they were two pieces like the original...not one molded part.
I wish he would have explained that. The description he has and by the looks of the picture it makes it appear to be a single molded piece. That is why I was questioning it.

So I can only assume Porsche went back into production on these. I t would make sense since they are reproducing the speedlines. there seems to be a demand for them and the price has come down. Might have to pick up a second set.

emilios,

Thanks for the part number. IIRC that sounds about what I recall but too many years to be sure. At least we have a number to reference for the first time since we started discussing these 7 or so years ago.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is a bit of crossed wires in this thread.

The way i understand it is that to make Cobalts set you need four pieces. Two original spoliers which were standard on the cars when they left the factory and then the two additional winglets which were from the Motorsport catalogue. Gert seems to be selling a two piece set with the winglets already molded with the spolier so there is no need to "bolt" on the motorsport parts.

I think the best way for this to be resolved would be if Gert could post a picture of the units upside down (as if looking from below the car) so we can see the construction or molding process.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sal 965
I think there is a bit of crossed wires in this thread.

The way i understand it is that to make Cobalts set you need four pieces. Two original spoliers which were standard on the cars when they left the factory and then the two additional winglets which were from the Motorsport catalog. Gert seems to be selling a two piece set with the winglets already molded with the spoiler so there is no need to "bolt" on the motorsport parts.

I think the best way for this to be resolved would be if Gert could post a picture of the units upside down (as if looking from below the car) so we can see the construction or molding process.
Yes and no. Mine are made from 4 pieces but the winglets came attached to the under pans from the factory. All I had to do was remove the original under pans and replace them with the ones from the factory.

many of the aftermarket versions are just the winglets that you have to attach to your under pan.

This picture shows one half of the 2 pieces supplied as a factory part. The molded plastic has a part number on it which was superseded by a different part number once the winglets were attached. That part number was on a sticker which I have seen Porsche use many times on other parts and applied to the part. I mistakenly removed it since it was interfering with the air flow from the vents heat cut into the factory pans. The Turbo S version did not have the vents the RS 3.8L version did. Mine are from a 3.8L RS not a turbo S but otherwise they are the same part appearance wise.

The picture shows one half supplied as a factory part.

The area circled in Pink was added to the RS version only. The area circled in green was added for both the RS and the Turbo S. The 3 red circles are the rivets used to hold the part in place. This was done at the factory or supplier.

Assuming Gert's looks like this then we are talking the same part. To be honest I don't think the technology to make injection molded parts like this in one piece was common back in the early 90's and if it was I have never known Porsche to revise tooling to make a part for such low production runs. Especially when it is easy enough to bolt on a separate piece for far less money than retooling would cost. I would assume total production run for these parts was less than 300 units.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

I meant each side is two pieces...four total.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I meant each side is two pieces...four total.
So it sounds like it could be the same part.

It would be nice of him to post a picture which would probably gain him some sales. I also think the description should be modified so we aren't confused by it as I and i believe others were initially.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Sifly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I quite like the idea of a simple 2 piece (pre-moulded) under-pan with intergrated splitters, even if it's not strictly identical to the factory produced cars with their 'additional' items.
It means I could simply unscrew the existing standard pans and replace with the RS look items in about half an hr! No drilling, riviting, glueing and filling to worry about, only to find that i've fitted one slightly further over than the other one!!

Then I can keep my standard un molested under-pans for re-fittment at a later date if i should wish, or maybe sell them on to recoupe a few notes?!

Last edited by Sifly; 02-01-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sifly
I quite like the idea of a simple 2 piece (pre-moulded) under-pan with intergrated splitters, even if it's not strictly identical to the factory produced cars with their 'additional' items.
It means I could simply unscrew the existing standard pans and replace with the RS look items in about half an hr! No drilling, riviting, glueing and filling to worry about, only to find that i've fitted one slightly further over than the other one!!

Then I can keep my standard un molested under-pans for re-fittment at a later date if i should wish, or maybe sell them on to recoupe a few notes?!
I guess I am not getting across on this. I still have my original under pans. I did not mount the pieces to my old pans. This was a simple replacement part all the drilling and riveting was done by the factory. So it came as you see it in the picture as one piece not 2 winglets that i had to mount to my existing pans.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:15 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Anthony, I will take and post some pics later today to assist in clarifying the confusion..
Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Sifly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I am saying is that even if the original factory items are 2 seperate additional corner splitters which fix to the two standard under pans, I quite like the idea of fitting 2 simple one piece, pre moulded under-pans which already include the splitters, and not having to faf about drilling, riviting and glueing etc.............which I would probably make a mess off!!!
As long as they are reasonably priced, look the part, are of fair quality and easy to fit, I'm not too worried if they are factory exact or not.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

I don't think we will ever see anyone do a one piece in a factory material. I'm guessing those parts are injection molded. I do not believe it is not cheap to create thost parts as compared to laying fiberglass and how many sets would they sell for turbo cars? They'd be lucky to sell 50 sets IMO. I'd buy one though!

Quick Reply: Turbo S / 3.8 RS front splitter