Turbo S / 3.8 RS front splitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Sifly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo S / 3.8 RS front splitter

Hi Guy's

I am considering fitting the subtle 3.8 RS front splitter (as also seen on some turbo S cars) to my 91 turbo.

I belive there are a few options, OEM, Techart, RUF etc?? Can anyone post any pics of the various types?

Can anyone give me any information on prices, product quality etc?
I am UK based by the way so probably easier to purchase within europe?!

Thanks Simon
Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

www.carnewal-europe.com/

P64 Chin Spoiler

Chin spoiler from the 3.8L wide body Rennsport version.
Fits the P64 Turbo/ Turbo look front bumper.
Price : 290 Euro.
Made from polyurethane.

Contact us for more information
Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Sifly
Instructor

Thanks Paul, that looks perfect.

I'm guessing that this item is made from polyurethane similar to the standard bumper trim. So it should flex as apposed to crack if grounded slightly once in a while?? And I will have to have it painted to match the semi-gloss black as the original item (to match the sills).

I wonder if a genuine Porsche part would be much more? I will give my OPC a call in the morning to find out. At least I could save on shipping!

Simon
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Simon,

the part from Carnewal is a genuine Porsche Motorsport Part.
It's the best you can have! I'll be ordering soon.

Rgds,

Geert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghhally
Simon,

the part from Carnewal is a genuine Porsche Motorsport Part.

Rgds,

Geert
I'm not sure that is correct.

I was told by Porsche GB that the original parts were no longer available anywhere but there may be a few parts in "Germany" if you knew who to ask. This topic has been covered before (even by me as a change to my techart parts) and the "winglets" are riveted on to the standard parts from memory. I know Cobalt has these fitted and posted some pictures of the fixings.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Sifly
Instructor

Hi Sal,

Yes i've just been searching through old threads on the subject (and theres a fair few)!!!

At least the Carnewal product looks like it all comes in two complete pieces ready to simply replace the standard trims? So should be a fairly easy job of just unscrewing and replacing as I had my standard items off recently for a bit of 'smile fixing'!!!

Simon
Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 AM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Confirmation was sent recently by Cranewal.
Porsche OEM part.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Porsche OEM part.
BS to that, unless Porsche has released a revised version.

I have the factory part on my car and it was the standard lower valence pieces that had 2 winglets attached.

Mine was actually from an RS I also have several friends that have factory Turbo S's and have seen most of them at one time or another and I can assure you the one in the picture is not what was supplied back in 1994.

As I said this doesn't mean there isn't a newer version but that is not the same as the OE unit.
I am attaching pictures of mine which are OE. You can ask Mark S/Mr. Flachbau about this also.
Attached Images    
Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Sifly
Instructor

Porsche OEM part.
Can I ask what kind of confirmation were you sent?

Simon
Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Reply form Geert the owner from Carnewal, stating price and origin.
It would be the first time Geert is talking BS.
Anyhow we will know soon.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi guys,

This 964T chin spoiler that we sell is sourced from Porsche.
It's the same part that we sell since many years.
Call it BS herr Cobalt but that's the way it is.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gert
Hi guys,

This 964T chin spoiler that we sell is sourced from Porsche.
It's the same part that we sell since many years.
Call it BS herr Cobalt but that's the way it is.
Gert I don't mean to offend or accuse you of being dishonest. If it comes from you I believe you feel the info you are providing is accurate. However, there is a definite conflict here with what I know to be fact. I did say Porsche might have re-released this and is manufactured differently than the original part.

Can you post pictures of the part you sell for comparison?

I have several friends who own factory 1994 turbo S's. Mark Smith from www.flachbau.com has posted numerous pictures of similar units to mine and has sourced units directly from Porsche.

When mine arrived in a factory sealed bag both the part and the bag had a factory sticker and part number on it. I mistakenly never retained the info. I do know mine was for an RS 3.8 and not for a turbo S but they are identical to mine minus the added venting slots.

Unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of their units but I will post what i have and i have looked closely at these. The pearl white in the bag was one of 4 or so turbo S's this individual owned at the time and i had a good look at them outside the bubbles, the black flachbau is a friend of mines car and the black package car was recently sold by NYC123 I am sure he could verify that it is the real deal.

Like I said I know about 4 years back these became NLA and many of the parts like the tail of the Turbo S could not be purchased from Porsche unless you could prove ownership of an actual turbo S. I was lucky to stumble upon a factory turbo S tail. It has no part number on it but again this was carefully inspected against a turbo S and it matches in every detail including the factory OEM stamp.

So unless, like I said that Porsche has released a newer version of this part the units were not 2 single pieces but a modified factory valance and the winglets which were attached separately.

So I request you interpenetration of why we are seeing a difference in part.
Attached Images      
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I figured I would post a picture of my car for comparison and I am attaching pictures of the turbo S tail in factory gelcoat for review. As you can see I have done some homework on these pieces.

IIRC Mark said getting a replacement tail from the factory took an eternity and they put him through hell.

The bottom picture is Mark's tail which has been painted therefore the difference in stamp appearance but the tail I have does match the car in the first picture of the previous posts identically same as the front splitters.

Edit:
I borrowed the picture from your site. I will remove it if you request me to. Is this 2 single pieces as your description implies or are the winglets attached with rivets as the factory units are and are they plastic or fiberglass?
Attached Images       

Last edited by cobalt; 01-29-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:15 PM
rufm5
Advanced

Originally Posted by cobalt
I figured I would post a picture of my car for comparison and I am attaching pictures of the turbo S tail in factory gelcoat for review. As you can see I have done some homework on these pieces.

IIRC Mark said getting a replacement tail from the factory took an eternity and they put him through hell.

The bottom picture is Mark's tail which has been painted therefore the difference in stamp appearance but the tail I have does match the car in the first picture of the previous posts identically same as the front splitters.

Edit:
I borrowed the picture from your site. I will remove it if you request me to. Is this 2 single pieces as your description implies or are the winglets attached with rivets as the factory units are and are they plastic or fiberglass?
cobalt yours looks aftermarket where it is bolted on and the carnewal looks like one piece?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:17 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rufm5
cobalt yours looks aftermarket where it is bolted on and the carnewal looks like one piece?
Contrary to your statement, the factory splitters are bolted on. I am with Colbalt on this... I ordered them from PMS a while back and I would imagine they are not aftermarket. I am not an expert on this, but I would be surprised to have received non-factory parts from PMS with Porsche part numbers and stickers.

Here is a not-so-great picture of them installed on my car.

Last edited by parsecnc4; 01-29-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo S / 3.8 RS front splitter