Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Wastegate pipe - making into a straight through

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009 | 10:16 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Default Wastegate pipe - making into a straight through

Using my Iphone the search function isn't working so please bear with me if this has been asked dozens of times before.

I have recently bought a used wastegate cat as a spare due to it being cheap but I am now toying with the idea of removing all of the internal core so in effect it becomes a straight through pipe. Is there any real pros and cons to doing this?

I am thinking that it will make the system breathe better with maybe advantages to the turbo being more responsive but having searched generally on the web and have read about back pressure and don't know if our cars need an element of this.

Any advice or would be appreciated.

In case it matters i am running a straight cat delete pipe and stock final silencer and a K29 turbo.
Old 11-09-2009 | 11:29 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

It would only affect your ability to vent boost. I tried what you are attempting to cure a boost creep problem. It didn't make any difference to my boost creep problem, but it did sound better when you are venting excess boost.

I doubt it will make any noticeable difference to the performance of your turbo, however those old wastegates do not like raw fuel and can become blocked. You'd see this as overboost.
Old 11-09-2009 | 06:27 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the comments James but i dont really understand the mechanics of "overboost" or "venting boost/excess boost". Is this linked to a need for some back pressure?

The car feels great so don't think i have a problem with my set up as it is but certainly don't want to create any issues.

Being really simple - if i gut the spare cat and run with it what potential issues should i be looking for before i should remove it and put the standard back on.

Sorry for the questions but search is still not my friend.
Old 11-09-2009 | 07:28 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I can't think of any issues.
I gutted mine and the sound was better, otherwise boost behaved the same as before.
Old 11-10-2009 | 08:02 AM
fritz k.
Pro

turbos don´t need no back pressure, free venting supports performance.

however, leave the cat, removing is laborious and the effect not noticable.

removing the baffle rewards with slightly nicer sound everytime the wastegate opens the bypass.

fritz
Old 11-10-2009 | 03:08 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

We are talking about the wastegate Cat, not the main Cat. I would remove the WG Cat, as it sounds much better. Wont effect performance one way or the other.
Old 11-10-2009 | 05:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
I can't think of any issues.
I gutted mine and the sound was better, otherwise boost behaved the same as before.
+1 I also removed the internals of my WG cat and it changed only the sound.
Old 11-10-2009 | 05:30 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Sound and maybe flames :-).
oh, and small weight saving ha,ha!

ps: gutting it might break it up. A modifed one costs around £160 (eg. Scart, or custom)
Old 11-10-2009 | 07:07 PM
al 965
Instructor

I did a spare one on my 92. It is a pain in the a$# to do as the matieral is a thin layer of some kind of metal that is wrapped real tight and fused to the wall of the cat. I cut the end off with a band saw and put it in a vice and beat the matieral out with a hammer and large punch then welded it back togeather with no noticable sound differance. But with a larger turbo I didn't want to take a chance on any blockage when the waste opened. It is made of s.s. so be ready to weld that type of matieral
Old 11-10-2009 | 07:21 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Sound is about the only thing that will change. For the better. No more silly hissing sound. You will have a nice nasty exhaust sound when the gate opens. You will also increase your carbon footprint. Myself, I am always looking to achieve a bigger carbon footprint.
Old 11-24-2009 | 08:13 PM
stu.p
Racer

Yes get that thing gutted,,no performance gain but a Million times better sound ,, can be a pain in the a** to do,,,once you get the core broken up a bit inside and it starts moving it becomes a bit easier to remove it bit by bit,,worth the effort though!
Old 11-25-2009 | 03:57 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Y65MPH said "Myself, I am always looking to achieve a bigger carbon footprint. "

Me too

Quick Reply: Wastegate pipe - making into a straight through