Bad running and starting when hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 01:49 PM
GULFBLUERSR
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad running and starting when hot

Hi I've got a 92 964 turbo.

It sat for 12 months whilst I waited to find time to put a clutch in it.

I put the clutch in and all back together started and ran great, good to driving it again!

I used it for a few short runs locally a few times just to make sure everything was well after it standing and then putting the new clutch in, all seemed fine.

I took it for a longer run (only 80 miles) one evening and all was good, parked and left it for 1 hour or so, went out in it to go get some food and it was running bad, coughing and backfiring all the time, if I held my foot down it would clear and eventually rev through but not happy.

I left it stand for a couple of hours then drove the 80 miles home again with no issues???

car stood for a few days, started great from cold, popped into town left it whilst in the shop for 10 mins and did not want to start again?

Struggled to get it home for 3 miles popping and banging lots of backfiring all the way.

It has been sat for 3 weeks until I had a chance to take a look today, I've checked for leaks around the intercooler, even sprayed carb cleaner, I'm pretty confidant there are no leaks, when I start it and drive from cold it runs and drives fine, as soon as it warms up it all goes wrong!!! leave it stand for an hour or so and starts and runs ok again.

Any ideas anyone?? I've tried searching and not come up with anything really that sounds like this problem!

Thanks

STEVE
Old 10-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Sounds somewhat familiar - did you put fuel stabilizer in the tank before you parked it for the 12 months? I had a similar problem with my car right after I bought it. Turns out the fuel had partially turned to varnish after having been in the tank for 2+ years. Results were a clogged fuel filter and injectors. I ended up exchanging my fuel tank - problem solved.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Gandara
Pro

Exchanging the fuel tank ! ? That sounds pricey....
Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 PM
GULFBLUERSR
AutoX

Tonight I have had a chance to go through the car again and do some more checking, I drove the car around gently to get the engine up to temp, all good no probs, switched it off left it for 10 mins and tried to restart no sign of life, checked for spark and there was none, went to check for spark at the coil and it fired into life and ran!!

So the theory now is that it is not fuel related at all but possibly the coil breaking down, I need to borrow a coil to find out for definite if this is the problem before ordering a new one.......

STEVE
Old 10-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Your EZ69 is mounted on an aluminum plate along with some relays and fuses.
use a temporary grounding cable with big alligator clips or what ever to supply temporary ground and test.
ground the aluminum plate to the chassis and try to start the car.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:20 PM
GULFBLUERSR
AutoX

Hmmm, I've been doing lots of reading on the ez69 as I'm also wondering if this may be at fault, I found a thread on here from a couple of years ago that I think it was Miles? that had a problem with his ez69 near the end of the thread someone came in with a fault that sounded exactly the same symptoms as mine, good when cold bad when hot, his problem was solved by cleaning and adjusting the flywheel sensor, tonight I have taken out the sensor and cleaned it, it was a bit oily on the end but also it looked like the inside was denting the end out a little not completely flat if that makes sense? should it be flat or could it be faulty if it was starting to dent out? almost as if it has had a good shaking and something inside had tried to get out!not a lot just not flat.

I put it back together and ran it a tickover till it got hot and back came the problem!

Does a failing ez69 give the same sort of signs? does a failing sensor give these signs?

Need to get this sorted, car stood for 12 months while I tried to find time to sort the clutch I get to drive 1 tank of fuel and now its sat again!!!

I will try grounding the ez69 and running it through hot just to see if this helps is this a common sign of grounding issues?

Thanks for the help keep it coming please!

Steve
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
GULFBLUERSR
AutoX

Just to update and confirm what the problem was in-case anyone else gets the same symptoms.

I changed the flywheel sensor for one of my other car yesterday and ran the engine till hot, taken it for a thrash around this afternoon, lots of boosting and plenty of high speeds and fingers crossed problem seems to be solved, Tuesday I have a 250 mile round trip so I will take it for a good test then!

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

STEVE
Old 11-15-2009, 04:53 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Steve,
I posted almost the same issue early last month. My car is now in the shop and i will let you know what they find. My problem was identical to what you were experiencing. Mine hadn't sat for 12 months but she gets limited use and does sit for weeks/months at a time.
Cheers
Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GULFBLUERSR

car stood for a few days, started great from cold, popped into town left it whilst in the shop for 10 mins and did not want to start again?

STEVE
Mine did the same thing when I had it. It turned out to be the Fuel Accumulator
Old 11-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Gandara
Pro

The fuel accumulator is different then the warm up regulator ?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:43 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gandara
The fuel accumulator is different then the warm up regulator ?
It is what keeps fuel to re-start the car. There is a bladder that wears out and the unit has to be replaced. I had trouble starting mine after driving for about 30 min stopping for about 30 to an hour then trying to re-start. It was the culprit
Old 11-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
guessing at your description, it is most likely the turbo control unit (porsche name, has nothing to do with controlling your turbo really), which is a glorifiedy relay under the drivers seat $$$$. If the accumulator you would only have a hard hot start, but not ongoing issues while driving. Easy test, put a test light or multimeter to the connecor of the warmup regulator during hot start, if you don't have 12V, either a fuse or the control unit is at fault, there is a way to wire it so it bypasses that circuit. If you open that control unit you will likely find bad solder joints.
Bernie

Quick Reply: Bad running and starting when hot