964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM
RichiRich
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asimler
I'll let you know my thoughts on the KWs in a week or two.
Any news on how your installation went? Are you happy with the result?

I bought some wheels in the mean time - I snapped up a set of TechArt 18" Performance wheels, it should look something like this (see below) when the suspension is lowered. I'm not sure about replacing the whale tail for the TechArt rear spoiler though.

I'm starting to lean towards the Bilstein HD shocks and H&R springs, a lot of people seem to have that set-up both for 964s and 993s.

I got a quote for €1252 (inc tax), but they said it was for H&R Green springs - aren't they for the C2/4? Can/should they be fitted to the Turbo? The company selling them said it's a more comfortable ride.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:30 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

You need to have the red ones!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
asimler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichiRich
Any news on how your installation went? Are you happy with the result?

I bought some wheels in the mean time - I snapped up a set of TechArt 18" Performance wheels, it should look something like this (see below) when the suspension is lowered. I'm not sure about replacing the whale tail for the TechArt rear spoiler though.

I'm starting to lean towards the Bilstein HD shocks and H&R springs, a lot of people seem to have that set-up both for 964s and 993s.

I got a quote for €1252 (inc tax), but they said it was for H&R Green springs - aren't they for the C2/4? Can/should they be fitted to the Turbo? The company selling them said it's a more comfortable ride.

Yes, I had the KWs fitted and driven maybe 250 miles since (in all weathers) and I'm very very pleased. They're set up as KW suggest for street use, and I had the front lowered slightly (for looks) - its GT3 height approx so no problem over speed bumps - you can just get one finger in between the tops of the tyres and the wheelarches.

They definitely do what I was told, in that the ride is firmer but much more controlled both in handling terms but also in ride quality. The comfort factor has definitely improved as the control of the wheels dropping into potholes or bouncing over bumps is markedly better. As you'd expect here's zero nervousness. The whole car feels more modern, tighter and actually a bit smaller. Of course this is relative to how tired (or not) my old suspension was.

I was concerned the improvement would be marginal, but I would say its a very very noticable improvement. So I would wholeheartedly recommend them. I havent yet played around with ride height or the compression and rebound settings but was told by my garage that lowering further would deteriorate the ride (and speed bumps could be an issue).

I don't have any experience of the Bilsteins but perosnally I was concerned that technology has since moved on; of course maybe Bilstein keep their products fully up to date I dont know, but the cost difference looks slight to the KWs.

Hope that helps. All I have to do now is sell my old shocks and springs!
Old 11-30-2009, 12:39 PM
asimler
Racer

ps your new wheels look fantastic
Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the Bilstein HD w. H&R combo on my car and found it way too soft in the rear. I switched to fully adjustable JIC CROSS.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 AM
RichiRich
Instructor

Originally Posted by Autobahn
I had the Bilstein HD w. H&R combo on my car and found it way too soft in the rear. I switched to fully adjustable JIC CROSS.
Softer than the standard suspension? Or too soft for road or track?

Do you have the part numbers you ordered?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobahn
Yea was it still better than stock though???
Old 12-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Yea was it still better than stock though???
I couldn't tell you as my car came with this setup. At first I thought that the shocks were shot and had them replaced under warranty and bought new springs as well. The result was still the same.

I found the HD w. H&R too soft for spirited driving (not even talking about race tracks). Both my ROW 993 4S and 993TT were much stiffer.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:16 PM
RichiRich
Instructor

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up going with the majority (on a number of forums) and bought the Bilstein HDs and H&R springs, oh and an alu strut brace for good measure!!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:55 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Hi guys, I just had the call that my car failed the MOT on dud front shocks. So I need to get a new set, and am going to do all 4.

I am also going to do the bushes, convincing myself it will be cheaper in the long run.

So, what suspension & bushes would people recommend for a weekend toy that only does 1 or 2 trackdays p.a. and mostly does 2hr motorway or A-road journeys? I dont want something rock hard, and I am never likely to adjust anything once it has been setup.

Carnewal have a sale on a Bilstein/H&R kit: http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p64017.htm
and they do bushes: http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p64017.htm

Any advice would be great. Thanks, Josh
Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Josh,

The Bilsteins are an excellent choice, do not forget to order the red ones for Turbo! I have them myself and also use the car for an occasional track day.
I've used powerflex bushes, however the bushes from Carnewal will do the job
as well. You should be able to find some information on the bushes over on the 964 forum as they are US made.

Expect great service from Gert @ Carnewal, I know him personally as we live in a small country called Belgium.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
wagonface
Instructor

Okay - I dont doubt that the KWv3's are more hardcore, but I am not a track fiend and at c.30% less the Bilstein/H&R setup won my vote. Ordered from Gert, should be installed next week. Thanks all.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the HD Bilstiens and red H&R coilovers. I also just added neoprene front A arm bushings and the handling is great.
Attached Images     
Old 06-12-2010, 04:16 PM
RichiRich
Instructor

I found a Porsche indy to do the work finally and what a difference, they also gave the car a good service, clean, and sorted a few minor issues for me - total invoice €1231 (I brought the oil, strut brace, shocks, springs, and new wheels and tyres).

On the way home I gave it a gentle 130-140km/h drive for the first half hour. After stopping for some meatballs at Ikea, I then drove home with a pounding heart.

I joined the autobahn with a Dutch 986 and 996 in tow (they just happened to be there), but they bottled out at 200km/h!! I continued on to 250km/h - I couldn't go any faster as there wasn't enough straight (and clear) autobahn... it's amazing how bugs are completely obliterated on your windscreen at that speed

I arrived home (5 minutes before the storm arrived - hence the bad photos taken with my phone) to find some oil splats on the rear deck - I'll start another thread to discuss this.

Here are the pics:

Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Hsianers
Instructor

Asimler

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the KW v3 following your last post. I am considering getting this suspension for a 964T I am looking to acquire. The mechanic's mentioned that the suspension needs to be replaced, so would be interested to hear how they perform on the road.. with the adjustability, they would be firmer but still be compliant?

The car will be for road use only..

Otherwise, the other option would be with the Bilstiens.. Anyone have thoughts on the them and how they ride..

Also wondering this is a ROW 964T, so may still lower the car but probably not too much to enable easy clearance on speed humps and things..

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade