964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Upgrading Radio to CDR-220

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 PM
jrgatfh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Radio to CDR-220

I'd like to upgrade the factory radio in my turbo to one that will reliably play CDs. From what I've read the Becker CDR-220 seems like the best fit. But I still have a few questions about things I am unsure about.

Now my questions for you are:

1) Has anyone done this before...I believe Metal Guru has....

2) Will I need a different DIN holder/metal sleeve for the radio to fit properly?

3) Will I need a different bezel in order to give the radio a finished/clean look? Does Porsche make this part?

4) I've read that the radio is plug and play, do you know if this is true?

5) Will I need to by-pass my factory amplifier somehow?

6) I just found out the CDR-220 has an aux input that you can hook an iPod up to, any suggestions there?

7) Do you have any other suggestions or words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance guys, any advice or pictures would be great! I am trying to maintain a factory/OEM look and would like it to be reversible if possible. Thanks guys!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgatfh
I'd like to upgrade the factory radio in my turbo to one that will reliably play CDs. From what I've read the Becker CDR-220 seems like the best fit. But I still have a few questions about things I am unsure about.

Now my questions for you are:

1) Has anyone done this before...I believe Metal Guru has....

2) Will I need a different DIN holder/metal sleeve for the radio to fit properly?

3) Will I need a different bezel in order to give the radio a finished/clean look? Does Porsche make this part?

4) I've read that the radio is plug and play, do you know if this is true?

5) Will I need to by-pass my factory amplifier somehow?

6) I just found out the CDR-220 has an aux input that you can hook an iPod up to, any suggestions there?

7) Do you have any other suggestions or words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance guys, any advice or pictures would be great! I am trying to maintain a factory/OEM look and would like it to be reversible if possible. Thanks guys!!!
Honestly all the Porsche head units suck. CDR-220 is probably the best but for best sound quality go aftermarket. I went with a Nakamichi CD-500. Sound quality is superior to anything used in a Porsche except maybe the upgraded Burmester systems used in the new Panamera. It also looks relatively close to stock.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:06 PM
al 965
Instructor

You can buy the cdr220 for $200.00 and send it off and have the face plate led mod. done so you can see it in the day time for another $100.00 and it is a direct slip in and not a bad system for the money and looks factory. Like Anthony said there are a lot of nice aftermarket systems , but it would be tough to get someone to wright Porsche logo on it to look factory.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgatfh

1) Has anyone done this before...I believe Metal Guru has.... Yes

2) Will I need a different DIN holder/metal sleeve for the radio to fit properly? No. The unit fits into the opening without the sleeve.

3) Will I need a different bezel in order to give the radio a finished/clean look? Does Porsche make this part? The bezel that came with my radio was a perfect fit.

4) I've read that the radio is plug and play, do you know if this is true? I bought mine from SW Stereo and it was plug and play. The preamp was not needed so I removed it.

5) Will I need to by-pass my factory amplifier somehow? See above.

6) I just found out the CDR-220 has an aux input that you can hook an iPod up to, any suggestions there? Yes, I have the jack, (purchased from SW also) but I do not own an Ipod (yet). Sometimes I think it could get a bit dangerous manipulating an Ipod while driving a Turbo. My daughter uses it when she rides with me.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 11-03-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SW Radio sold me mine as well. Great to deal with and he will have the wire conversion block so no splicing needed. As others here say..Porsche radios all suck and this one doesn't suck as bad....and it looks factory which is why I bought it. I just listen to the sound of the motor anyone.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM
gr1275
Pro

Cobalt, that Nak is the best aftermarket unit I've seen. I'm tempted to stick one in.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster
..Porsche radios all suck and this one doesn't suck as bad....and it looks factory which is why I bought it. I just listen to the sound of the motor anyone.
+1.
I wasn't ready to go the Turbo S route (no radio) so I wanted something that said PORSCHE on it and looked like OE stuff.
In the end, radio sound quality is a moot point in our cars due to the lack of sound deadening. It's not a good environment for listening to music.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is impossible to really listen to music in this kind of car, for some reason it only seems like noise in my ears when I turn on the radio.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

Originally Posted by ricster
SW Radio sold me mine as well. Great to deal with and he will have the wire conversion block so no splicing needed. As others here say..Porsche radios all suck and this one doesn't suck as bad....and it looks factory which is why I bought it. I just listen to the sound of the motor anyone.
Where is SW Radio?
Old 11-25-2009, 07:28 AM
gr1275
Pro

http://www.swstereo.com/
Old 11-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Bklyn964Turbo
Racer

thanks GR!
Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I put in the Traffic Pro and it works well. See post on page 2 of this forum "Traffic pro".
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...on-system.html
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,751 Posts

I bought one from swstereo they are very competant - no problems. You can use an ipod with an adapter.

The radio is OK - The CD is actually pretty good. Add a good amp.

I didnt go with a better head unit because these cars arent relly receptive to high fidelity - lots of road/engine noise and a small cabin (mine's a cab to boot)

Quick Reply: Upgrading Radio to CDR-220