Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

WTB: 964/993 Climate Control Unit (CCU)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTB: 964/993 Climate Control Unit (CCU)

Looks like my CCU is playing up. Anybody got a fully working one (with air con) for sale that they would be happy to send to the UK? My car is LHD but my current unit is from a RHD car, so either will do.

Thanks in advance.

Tim.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 AM
asimler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tim, I'm pretty sure there are places that can fix these things or at least test them - as its often just a 5p capacitor or something thats worn out..... sorry i cant be any more help but Phil and Mark might be.....
Old 03-19-2009, 06:27 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Hi Anthony,

Thanks - I know of 2 companies that can fix them, one in the US and the other in Italy. I believe the cost is about the same (c.£300) but I don't really want to be without a unit for several weeks. Ideally I'd like to find a UK based company but I'm not aware of anyone, so instead I'm trying to find a second hand fully working unit. I've had one offer so far from a US-based Rennlister, but the cost is about the same again.

My tech is swapping a CCU from another 964 today just to make sure it is my CCU as he's spent the last 3 days taking the rest of the system apart and getting the various servos and blowers to work and this seems to be the only thing left.

You coming to Cornbury on the 5th April by any chance? If so will you be bringing your 965 or the Fezza out of hibernation?

Cheers,

Tim.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM
asimler
Racer

i'll be there on the 5th, but still in the focus (might get a ride with Mark!). The 965 is having a new power steering pump fitted next week, which apparently entails removing one side of the very rusted up exhaust - so am considering doing headers - but not sure want to go that route just yet

Pretty sure Phil knows of 2 UK based ECU repairers, not sure what cost would be though
Old 03-19-2009, 01:21 PM
stu.p
Racer

Pretty sure seen a couple of them on ebay for sale earliier this week.

Stuart

Porsche inspector within UK for Peter Morgan.
http://www.porscheinspections.com/
964 turbo-Rebuilt using ARP hardware and other mods
Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by asimler
i'll be there on the 5th, but still in the focus (might get a ride with Mark!). The 965 is having a new power steering pump fitted next week, which apparently entails removing one side of the very rusted up exhaust - so am considering doing headers - but not sure want to go that route just yet

Pretty sure Phil knows of 2 UK based ECU repairers, not sure what cost would be though
It'll be good to see you - sorry to hear about the 965, but you should get the headers...

I'll give Phil a bell re. the CCU.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:20 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stu.p
Pretty sure seen a couple of them on ebay for sale earliier this week.

Stuart

Porsche inspector within UK for Peter Morgan.
http://www.porscheinspections.com/
964 turbo-Rebuilt using ARP hardware and other mods
Cheers Stu - there is one that I can find in the UK but it has no air con. I may have to look further afield or keep my eye open for another.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:07 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Tim, try to get the part number up front, as you say you need the aircon button. Right and left hand versions can be made to work (and the later 993 units). As you know I had a lot of experience with these bloody things, and there is also a possible issue with modifying the back (red herring?) as this can cause yet more issues. I had a spare, but when I sold the car, i sold the unit back to a rennlister - never knew if it worked though, as I bought it from yet another rennlister, and it didn't solve my problem. Its pot luck as there are probably lost of these units (some faulty?) doing the rounds!
Anyway, I'm sure we'll have some (sad) fun discussing it all over lunch on the 5th.

Hi Anthony, you're always welcome in my Fiat. It may be cheap but the aircon does work
Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 PM
dryheat
Advanced

I have one, maybe. The deal is, it's currently in my car so I know it works fine. The catch is, I bought another to replace it as mine is missing the defrost button and you can't buy just the botton. Since you have one though, I suspect you could remove the defrost button from your unit. The face plate is also cracked on mine, so you would want to use that from yours as well. It's cracked because I'm having trouble getting it out, I don't have the Porsche tool and am trying to use a cut up hanger...can someone tell me how to get it out??? and if you're still interested in mine, I'll send you photos..Maybe $75 plus shipping???
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if a faulty CCU would cause the windscreen blowers to work intermittently? Driver side works when it wants when cold air is selected and a bit more frequently on warm (27+).

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:00 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Steve,
Mine did all wierd and wonderful things, intermittant or permanent heat... I got through about 5 garages and it was never 100%. Some said it was the CCU (tried about 4 units inc new exchange one from Porsche at £850, not sure they still do them now) but most improvement was when a couple of the heater motors (?) were replaced but some of these are very deep in the front (tank out job). Lots of info on this forum but the 964 heating is a very hit and miss affair, too many components and hard to get to. Wishing you good luck.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:10 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Mark (911addict): thanks for that - I'll take it out and get the part number. Look forward to discussing it with you on the 5th.

Dryheat: I am definitely interested in your unit - please email me some photos. I have taken my CCU several times - it's the same procedure as taking out the stereo. I used the two U shaped wire devices that you can buy at any car accessory shop for a couple of bucks (they are provided with new head units too) - they are easier to use than bits of wire cut up as they have a shaped ends which grip a bit better. The secret to removing it is to get your hand up behind the CCU unit (it is very tight though) and push one side of it with your fingers and pull the prongs on that side with your other hand, and repeat. If your hand is too large (or if you are not a contortionist) then get someone with smaller hands to do the pushing while you carefully pull. It took me about 1/2 an hour of doing this (and several skinned knuckles) but mine did come out eventually...once it's out it is easier the next time. Don't pull on the face plate because, as you know, it will break. Good luck!

Cheers,

Tim.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Benengo
Intermediate

Tim,

What are the symptoms of the snag you've got with your ccu? Not a battery drain is it?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benengo
Tim,

What are the symptoms of the snag you've got with your ccu? Not a battery drain is it?
Hi Ben,

No - I had no heating at all. My tech. has gone through and sorted everything else (we hope) and so it just leaves the CCU.

Have you sold your car yet - I saw it on Pistonheads.

Cheers,

Tim.

Quick Reply: WTB: 964/993 Climate Control Unit (CCU)