964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

price check 91 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default price check 91 turbo

Coral red/grey interior speedline wheels 35k on the clock 2 owner car. front respray due to rock chips and rear corner panel respray. Dealer claims front respray due to chips but does not know extent of the corner damage. Also speedo was changed 625 miles ago. Dealer claims it stopped working and was replaced instead of fixed. TIA -Paul
Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

I don't like the speedo issue. I just had my tach and trip computer out and "fixed" because the fix was 1/2 the cost of the replacement. ($900 or so versus $1800 or so). What is the asking price? - me thinks $55k based on my internet research. The price seems fair, but the speedo issue seems a bit squirrely, but in light of the explanation below and of my dealership service (no knock to them, but they typically are good only for warranty related work - i.e. new cars) knowledge - perhaps not so squirrely (i.e. I can see a dealership simply replacing the speedo as opposed to sending out and getting same back - after all, with warranty work that would seemingly be SOP). The price, if a good PPI and you get comfortable with the speedo, seems fair.

I wonder where they are looking for the missing speedo?: Oklahoma Foreign, landfill, other junkyards...........(?)

"Available for sale is perhaps one of the nicest 964 model 911 Turbos we have seen in many years. Fresh out of hibernation and available to fill that empty spot in your collection. This is a 1991 Porsche Turbo Coupe in Coral Red Metallic with Silk Gray Full Leather interior. The car is in spectacular condition. The car is in original condtion except for the stereo which could be easily removed if you want and the 1994 3.6 Turbo wheels. The engine is free of any oil leaks. Included are spare keys and manuals. The service book has stamped services to 31,371 miles complete. The speedometer currently shows 625 miles due to a documented Porsche dealership replacement at 34472 miles. The Car Fax is good with clean mileage from new. The speedometer was replaced in September 2007. We are trying to get the original speedometer. Here is a chance to own the first generation Porsche Turbo in immaculate condition. "

Good luck with the car. I hope it checks out.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
bv shady
Racer

They offered to take my 98 c2s which is mint w/22k miles and I would have to pay another $8500 for the car!-Paul
Old 06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

I plead ignorance as to the value for your C2S, but based on a quick perusal of comps on autotrader (low mileage 98 C2S) it would seem to me that you may very well have some value leakage in the equation (virtually every purchase has some leakage - to state the obvious we endeavor to have that minimized on our side of the sales equation).

Have you asked them to prove up their valuation of your trade and/or was this the first shot across the bow or have you negotiated the value of the Turbo down to $8500? Assuming the former (first salvo in the discussions)...Do as I did...........send them some good/equitable comps and see what they will do. I suspect that you can get the car at a price you are willing to pay. You may have to wait a week or so. Have you had a PPI performed?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
bv shady
Racer

It was their first offer. Stumbled on the car today when I stopped by on a whim. No PPI scheduled yet just trying to get some info on valuation. The car looks clean but the paintwork and speedo will have to be addressed as they are issues. My 98 has no issues whatsoever so I am hesitant. They are basically offering me 46.5 for mine plus $8500-Paul
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by bv shady
It was their first offer. Stumbled on the car today when I stopped by on a whim. No PPI scheduled yet just trying to get some info on valuation. The car looks clean but the paintwork and speedo will have to be addressed as they are issues. My 98 has no issues whatsoever so I am hesitant. They are basically offering me 46.5 for mine plus $8500-Paul
ur car is worth more than 46.5 even in today's economy.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

IMHO - if I were even remotely considering purchasing the car I would have a PPI done on the car by a reputable shop (including leakdown). I spent the $350 for one last month on my 993TT. The PPI will allow you to sleep at night knowing that you did NOT let a good one slip away and it will likely provide you with additional points of leverage in your negotiations. In my case, I did not seem to get much more leverage as I ended up paying for the items I wanted addressed in my PPI.

With that said I was able to extract more value from their initial offer to me $30k plus my 2005 M3 Convertible (10.4k miles). I ended up at $23k, plus the M3, plus the PPI items I paid for.

Good Luck!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:57 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I good PPI could also put the replaced speedo issue to rest because any excessive milage beyond what it is reading now would most likely be revealed in some way.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:18 PM
shelbygtkr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coral red is a hard resale color and cars with speedometer mileage issues seem to sit forsale forever, it may show on carfax
Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
bv shady
Racer

Thanks for the advice. I also believe they are underpricing my car. Still considering if I should go ahead. They are getting me the history on the car. PPI will be done by Bill Boys at Possum Hollow if I go further. I am also going to try to find out about the paintwork and why. 55k seems a little high imho considering the issues . Thanks again-Paul
Old 06-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Luus
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bv, I might be interested in your car. PM with details.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 91 Turbo

Originally Posted by bv shady
They offered to take my 98 c2s which is mint w/22k miles and I would have to pay another $8500 for the car!-Paul
Interesting...trade you mine straight up for a 98C2S! I think they might be getting the better end of the deal here...
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 PM
bv shady
Racer

Jeff my thoughts exactly.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

I would have to agree a 98 C2S is about as desirable a 993 you can find. IMO equal trade for a 3.3l Turbo. This car sounds nice but I would look very closely at the speedo and paint issues. Is the place you are having the PPI done 964 turbo experts? There are many competent shops but not all are people I would trust a turbo with.

BTW for $100 or so they could have sent the old speedo to NHS and have them reset the new unit to the old mileage and have documentation to show it is authentic. Without the old speedo for verification the car could have any number of miles on it.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:07 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, keep looking. There are plenty of good turbos out there so don't settle for one with a questionable history. Have patience and you will find the right car.

Quick Reply: price check 91 turbo