Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Why can't Richard Sloan get it right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he claims that his Webmaster types in the wrong information! Ha! Ha!

Clearly, this guy is disconnected. He is a broker and speaks like a lawyer. My feeling is to stay away from the whole thing altogether.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:56 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unlike RPM that always has new pieces showing up on a regular basis.
Ray is good guy. My brother seems to have nothing to say but good things about him. Good buying experience. The guy also knows his stuff.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
I think he claims that his Webmaster types in the wrong information! Ha! Ha!.
Yeah likely excuse. Sorry doesn't hold water in my book. I have had conversations about my car with him on more than one occasion and each time he tried to tell me facts that were way off base. I corrected him the first time and a few months later it was like we never spoke telling me the same BS all over again.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 538 Posts

Anthony, I can tell you, that he just does't care about the facts. He is a salesman and he likes to handle everything by himself - which means that he is sometimes over his head and he doesn't sweat the details. Many of his buyers assume that low mileage cars are lower risk purchases. That's how he makes his market. I am always surprised where he gets these low mileage limited edition cars from. He is also listing a black S package car (2 of 17!). You have to give him credit for that.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Anthony, I can tell you, that he just does't care about the facts. He is a salesman and he likes to handle everything by himself - which means that he is sometimes over his head and he doesn't sweat the details. Many of his buyers assume that low mileage cars are lower risk purchases. That's how he makes his market. I am always surprised where he gets these low mileage limited edition cars from. He is also listing a black S package car (2 of 17!). You have to give him credit for that.
Frank,

I agree and this is just beating a dead horse but for some reason when it comes to Sloan I like to give it a few extra kicks after I know it is dead.

IIRC the Black package car was the same car that PAR had listed a few years back and it has never sold. Although, I did see what appeared to be that car at PAR back in 2002-2003. I guess part of his ability to find these cars is because he has been around for so long. You get to know the inner click of people that buy and trade them.

I have a friend who's uncle trades vintage Bentley's and Royce's amongst other rare cars. Not that every one is rare but he would collect the cars that were custom built for some Sultan that was a one of a kind work of art. Must have owned 100 different autos spread out across PA. I found it interesting how he never had to advertise a car for sale. He would just pick up the phone and tell someone and a month later it was gone and something new was in its place.

With the internet and ebay, those days are not the same but I am sure some of those contacts still do things the old school way by word of mouth and eventually if you keep your eyes and ears open they seem to come out of the woodwork.

Just can't trust a person that deals in such a commodity and has no real passion for the product, or interest in the facts. It appears to be more like a big game to him. I might be wrong but these cars would sell faster and most likely for a higher price if he focused on the facts. IMO the truth reads far better than the hype. I guess this is why Ray has the reputation he has and Sloan, well you know.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it may go something like this. Car owner searches web for dealer who sells high end, low mileage or rare Porsches. Finds Sloan and calls him. Sloan feeds him the stuff about how he can sell the car for a premium yada yada yada ... Seller agrees to pay a high commission if Sloan can get the over market price he is asking for. Sloan says send me some photos and I'll put it on my website. Sloan has never seen the car.

Buyer then finds car on Sloan website, calls and gets mystery pitch ... "well I have the car, but not really, but I know where it is, let's make the seller an offer". Seller has been waiting a very long time to sell the car through Sloan at the inflated price and either has by that time 1) sold the car elsewhere - never bothering to tell Sloan - in which case Sloan will somehow take credit for making the sale, 2) decides to keep the car and not sell it - in which case Sloan will somehow take credit for making the sale, or 3) caves on the offer and ends up selling the car for far less than Sloan told him he could get - in which case Sloan will take credit for the sale but make it sound like the seller got what he wanted.

I personally know of at least one car that was on Sloan's website that he claimed to have and then when it came down to it he didn't even know where the car was .. but "he could find it". Another car he claimed to have but could never produce a photo for me. I just think the guy is full of it. But as others have said ... who'd a thunk it, a car dealer who lies!

All this being said ... to his credit he has built a business out of it.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Vintage Porsche
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering selling a vintage 911 S, so I made the mistake of calling Richard. He comes off as a very overly aggressive salesman who pushes himself at and upon you. A week after Richard and I started speaking, I called him to advise that I was not ready to sell the car at that time. He instead puts my car in ad advertisement (it was not my car, but a picture of a car that looked like mine) and lies about the car 100%. He sends me a draft of the ad and and I emailed back advising not to put the car in the ad as it was not for sale. As I start to read the ad, I see that he is misrepresenting the car completely. He never saw the car, but stated it had all original panels and glass, that it was numbers matching when it had an oem case replacement several years back and he knew that from emails and discussions we had. . I emailed him to advise that he should not have run the ad and that he lied about the car. He called and said " I can get around all that" WOW!

I have sold and purchased many cars over the last 24 years and never had to deal with this type of practice from a dealer. Let the buyer/seller beware!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Porschegroove
Advanced

Hi Vintage. If you consider selling your S. please contact me. I'm not a dealer. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Check out R&H in Solon, Ohio. No affiliation, just an honest guy (Larry) and he owns all his inventory & treated me well. Don't think many know about him yet as he is just getting more involved with Porsche cars as of late.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
CHEMICALMAN
AutoX

Originally Posted by Vintage Porsche
I was considering selling a vintage 911 S, so I made the mistake of calling Richard. He comes off as a very overly aggressive salesman who pushes himself at and upon you. A week after Richard and I started speaking, I called him to advise that I was not ready to sell the car at that time. He instead puts my car in ad advertisement (it was not my car, but a picture of a car that looked like mine) and lies about the car 100%. He sends me a draft of the ad and and I emailed back advising not to put the car in the ad as it was not for sale. As I start to read the ad, I see that he is misrepresenting the car completely. He never saw the car, but stated it had all original panels and glass, that it was numbers matching when it had an oem case replacement several years back and he knew that from emails and discussions we had. . I emailed him to advise that he should not have run the ad and that he lied about the car. He called and said " I can get around all that" WOW!

I have sold and purchased many cars over the last 24 years and never had to deal with this type of practice from a dealer. Let the buyer/seller beware!

I have purchased and sold many cars through Sloancars.....in all cases he sends ad copy for approval. If I did not like the ad copy or decided not to sell it he did not post it. I know from experiences that there are dead lines and sometimes the magazine fails to remove the car as requested. This same scenario happed with me ...and guess what-- the car sold for 25% more. Bottom line he buys and sells the car will complete integrity....and if he did not have the reputation and following you would have not contacted him...He is a decent guy
Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CHEMICALMAN
I have purchased and sold many cars through Sloancars.....in all cases he sends ad copy for approval. If I did not like the ad copy or decided not to sell it he did not post it. I know from experiences that there are dead lines and sometimes the magazine fails to remove the car as requested. This same scenario happed with me ...and guess what-- the car sold for 25% more. Bottom line he buys and sells the car will complete integrity....and if he did not have the reputation and following you would have not contacted him...He is a decent guy
Ironically there seems to be a 50/50 split regarding Richard. I have heard both stories more times than I care to count.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Hey Anthony, is your garage finished?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard has quite a business
I saw an incredible number of low mile perfect cars in his place.

NONE were of the flat tire dead battery variety
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ish993; 03-18-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru

Hey Anthony, is your garage finished?
85%

Floor coating and lift in 2 weeks. I will start a thread when I am through.

Quick Reply: Why can't Richard Sloan get it right?