Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Why can't Richard Sloan get it right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default Why can't Richard Sloan get it right?

Here he has access to some of the nicest cars Porsche has produced and yet he never gets his fact straight. You would think with all his exposure and experience he might have a clue by now.

For example here is a very nice 94 turbo S package car. One of only 3 I have seen for sale in 5 years and one of 17 ever made (he actually got that part correct)

http://www.sloancars.com/vs1/detail.asp?CarID=263

However, the rest of the info is wrong. He is still claiming these cars have much more HP than they do and if he drove half the cars he claims he has possession of he would know the difference between 385 and 508 hp. He should also know that the speedlines came standard. He also claims full leather interior yet i see no stitching on the dash and supple leather when it clear does not have supple but standard perforated leather.

Looks like an interesting investment, although from the pictures I can tell the rear bumper at a min has been repainted and it has the tech art fog light brake ducts which only came on the ROW versions not the US so the front might have had paint work also. So this car would require closer scrutiny.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anthony, how can you see the paintwork? Not doubting you, but to me it just looks like shiny red paint.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He has never seen nor driven most of the cars on his website - he is a broker. Some of the cars may not actually even be for sale. Exaggerating the facts is part of his selling modus operandi.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flachbau
He has never seen nor driven most of the cars on his website - he is a broker. Some of the cars may not actually even be for sale. Exaggerating the facts is part of his selling modus operandi.
That is one of the most eloquent slams I have ever read
Old 10-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dholling13
That is one of the most eloquent slams I have ever read
I won't even get into some of the stories I have heard (a few of them first hand) ... We all streeeeetch the truth now and then, but he has a bad habit of demolishing it, which is not one of my favorite traits in human beings.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Anthony, how can you see the paintwork? Not doubting you, but to me it just looks like shiny red paint.
All the 94's have a vin sticker on all the panels including one placed centered under the license plate. They are hard to remove and no reason to, odds are it has been repainted. the vin stickers look like the ones in the pictures although I don't hae a picture of the one under my plate you get the idea.

I know someone who works with Richard and calls him a personal friend. She has sent me pictures on occasion of the collection of cars and he had more in inventory than I expected. I would guess about 80% of what he had listed although that was probably one of the few times the % was in his favor. Although I would prefer it if the car was not in his possession because he just parks them and does nothing with them until they sell. Most of them sit with dead batteries and flat tires.

This car has a Swickley plate on the front so I would assume this car is in PA.
Attached Images    
Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM
ddavis
Instructor

I won't even get into some of the stories I have heard (a few of them first hand) ... We all streeeeetch the truth now and then, but he has a bad habit of demolishing it, which is not one of my favorite traits in human beings.
Mark,
I called him over the weekend about that car. It is sold - he said two months ago. I am still looking for a '94 Package to go along with the flatnose.

Don
Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who'd have thought it - a car dealer exaggerating...
Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 PM
kimo964
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
All the 94's have a vin sticker on all the panels including one placed centered under the license plate. They are hard to remove and no reason to, odds are it has been repainted. the vin stickers look like the ones in the pictures although I don't hae a picture of the one under my plate you get the idea.
I took off my license plate last week to scrap off the old reg sticker and noticed the vin sticker on my bumper too. Good to know mine has never been rear ended.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:37 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who'd have thought it - a car dealer exaggerating...
+1 Ahhh the things they say to get the deal they want.......
Old 10-15-2007, 06:06 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richard is not a "bad" guys....he is however a car sales man. I tired buying a car from him once and it was a cluster....mostly from the owner, a bit from Richard. Told him when the owner got his act together I'd be interested in having another go at it. Called a year later and Richard said he sold the car elsewhere. A bit pissed, but it is what it is....
Old 10-15-2007, 08:14 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

while I am by no means an expert, several years ago, I ordered back editions of Panorama from 93-94 featuring our cars. (3.6T's). There was a flat nose in pearl white in one of the editions. I seem to recall a few came with a special engine package that increased output significantly, maybe X88 or something like that? Maybe this is one of those fortunate few.... But what do I know, I sell insurance for a living
Old 10-15-2007, 08:31 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

X88 was the power package for the 3.6T and it increased output to 385hp. X33 was the option on the 91-92 and increased power to 355.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Sloan does not seem to turn his inventory very often. Unlike RPM that always has new pieces showing up on a regular basis. But Sloan has a way of asking a premium price for a non-premium product. Along the lines of what Anthony was speaking to, what is the reason for the "summer miles" comment? It loses it effect when the whole inventory has "summer miles".
Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

And are those summer miles in FL or somewhere else with the salt air? See if that makes the description.

Quick Reply: Why can't Richard Sloan get it right?