Malfunction Rev Counter Digital Display

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 AM
KevTse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malfunction Rev Counter Digital Display

Hello all,

Just noticed the little digital display that sits inside the rev counter has a display problem. After the car has started the display works fine as it shows the boost level. About 5 minutes later all of a sudden the display would go very dim. If I turn off the car and turn it back on again the display goes back to normal.

Anyone experience this problem? My local shop tells me if I need a new rev counter it will cost me USD1500!

Kev
Old 08-07-2007, 08:09 AM
asimler
Racer

Yes, mine did this a couple of times.

My fix was to clean/scrape the relay connections and no probs since. The relay is situated directly behind the clock. Once you've pulled the clock out you'll see 2 relays, and its the light blue coloured one if I remember correctly. Just pull it out gently and using a flat plane screwdriver scrape all the connectors and then put back and wiggle a bit to make sure its connecting properly with the socket.

Hope that works for you.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

hi,
the relay should affect the complete rev illumination, not only the display.

as on my 993 the problem is maybe caused by a semiconductor, which controls the power supply of display lighting.

pull the rev counter (therefor you have to remove the steering wheel first) and remove the back cover. in that cover is a board and the semiconductor is soldered on the board, located as shown in the pic.
after replacing it, the display illumination should work properly.

the semiconductor type is MOSFET BS170, costs you just a few cents.

fritz

Last edited by fritz k.; 11-18-2007 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
KevTse
Instructor

Thanks so much! I will give it a shot and hopefully it will save me a lot of money!

Cheers
Kev
Old 08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,263 Posts

For what it is worth mine would go dark and light especially when the lights were on. In my case it was the potentiometer used to control light brightness to the left of the tach. A little dielectric cleaning solution and back and forth motion and problem was resolved.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:28 AM
DDIOOS
Intermediate

My revmeter was replaced just before I bought the car and according to the OPC service record this on-board computer was causing an electric leak which completely drained out the battery resulting in several instances of on-site recharging. The meter cost HK$15,032! So don't treat this matter lightly and get it fixed.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:15 AM
KevTse
Instructor

Originally Posted by DDIOOS
My revmeter was replaced just before I bought the car and according to the OPC service record this on-board computer was causing an electric leak which completely drained out the battery resulting in several instances of on-site recharging. The meter cost HK$15,032! So don't treat this matter lightly and get it fixed.
Thanks for the tip DDIOOS Will have Gembella check it out for me this week.

Kev
Old 08-13-2007, 11:14 AM
DDIOOS
Intermediate

No worries Kev. However, as this rev meter has a black face with the needle at the 7 o'clock position and the rest of my dials are white faced, can anyone tell me what the standard issued colour for a 3.3 turbo is? The rev meter which is not working is 964 641 321 00 (the needle points at 4 o'clock when idle) and the replacement one is 965 641 321 03. I take it the one with 964 is for a non-turbo model without the boost gauge?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the latest PET (downloaded today from https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinf...e=MainFrameSet) the tachometer part no. for a 3.3T is 965 641 321 00. There are various tachometers for the na 964s but none of them match the part number you quote for your existing tachometer.

The standard colour for the face is black - the same as the rest of the instruments.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
DDIOOS
Intermediate

Thanks tjr. That's weird, I checked the PET tech spec and you're right, the number doesn't quite match...I think I'll give the Porsche dealer here a call.

Btw, that's a smashing colour your car has.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries Kev. However, as this rev meter has a black face with the needle at the 7 o'clock position and the rest of my dials are white faced, can anyone tell me what the standard issued colour for a 3.3 turbo is? The rev meter which is not working is 964 641 321 00 (the needle points at 4 o'clock when idle) and the replacement one is 965 641 321 03. I take it the one with 964 is for a non-turbo model without the boost gauge?
Is the difference in the 4 o'clock and the 7 o'clock not simply that the whole of the rev unit has been rotated to suit a 12 o'clock maximum/redline position so you can see it more easily?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:39 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem - good luck with the dealer.

Thanks for the compliment - it's Zermatt Silver. Your car looks pretty good too!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:35 AM
DDIOOS
Intermediate

tjr that's a very unique colour indeed!

The porsche dealer said he recalled white-faced dials existed for turbos as an option. However, I'm a little dubious as the red line for the white face begins at 7,200rpm while for a black face it's 6,600rpm.

Sal 965 - I understand some people do rotate their dials but I've not done that to mine - the needle points at 4 o'clock as zero and fonts for 1, 2 and 3 are smaller than for 4 to 8 to display properly underneath the trip computer.

Am going to try and get a second / third opinion or can anyone confirm please?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,263 Posts

tjr that's a very unique colour indeed!

The porsche dealer said he recalled white-faced dials existed for turbos as an option. However, I'm a little dubious as the red line for the white face begins at 7,200rpm while for a black face it's 6,600rpm.

Sal 965 - I understand some people do rotate their dials but I've not done that to mine - the needle points at 4 o'clock as zero and fonts for 1, 2 and 3 are smaller than for 4 to 8 to display properly underneath the trip computer.

Am going to try and get a second / third opinion or can anyone confirm please?

The turbos readlined at 6,600 rpms. Porsche did not build a production car at the time that redlined above 6,800 rpms (redline of the C2).

This sounds like it was refaced by possibly North Hollywood speedometer. I asked about the same upgrade for mine and they said they could do it in white or silver face and that the font below the readout would be smaller with a 12:00 redline. Even if Porsche offered a white faced gage it would still use the same font and rotation as the black faced gages just the black in white with black numbers.

I would pull the gage and see if the bezel had been pried off or removed. They would need to do so to replace the face. I would also check my other gages like the speedo to see if their is any evidence of this. The speedo has a metal housing vs the plastic one of the tach and it may be easier to tell.

Quick Reply: Malfunction Rev Counter Digital Display