Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

3.6 Turbo ... What's it worth? Collectible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:14 PM
ThunderC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - they started in the early 1900's as a car body maker..

History can be found at -

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...ry/history.jsp

We are also experiencing a boom in classic car values here with local Australian muscle cars. Some of the top example include.

- Ford Falcon XY GT Phase III (200 produced) - selling for $500K AUD.
- Holden Monaro's (HK, HT, HG models) - 100K-170K AUD.
- Chrysler Charger E49 Hemi Six Pack - $100K+.

These are all early 70's cars though..

Originally Posted by Flachbau
Interesting, was Holden once an independent? I mean built their own design motors and chassis?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Cool vid, but as we all know it's not all about dollars and cents. I get something that money can't buy every time I fire up the engine, punch it thru some tight curves, take in the classic interior, front end and wide aggressive stance. It's a dreamcar for 911 purists. I wouldn't expect these two guys to get that.

They read over a pricing grid in Excellence and then pretended to know something.

I wonder how many of the US 466 are still on the road today.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya Baby! Ya! Shagadelic!

Originally Posted by ThunderC4S
Yes - they started in the early 1900's as a car body maker..

History can be found at -

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...ry/history.jsp

We are also experiencing a boom in classic car values here with local Australian muscle cars. Some of the top example include.

- Ford Falcon XY GT Phase III (200 produced) - selling for $500K AUD.
- Holden Monaro's (HK, HT, HG models) - 100K-170K AUD.
- Chrysler Charger E49 Hemi Six Pack - $100K+.

These are all early 70's cars though..

Last edited by Flachbau; 11-04-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Cool vid, but as we all know it's not all about dollars and cents. I get something that money can't buy every time I fire up the engine, punch it thru some tight curves, take in the classic interior, front end and wide aggressive stance. It's a dreamcar for 911 purists. I wouldn't expect these two guys to get that.

They read over a pricing grid in Excellence and then pretended to know something.

I wonder how many of the US 466 are still on the road today.

Well the idea of being able to drive it for ten years and then being able to sell it for what you paid for it is pretty good as far as cars go. I think they got that part right.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:33 PM
ThunderC4S
Racer

That photo is a classic ! It's missing the caption from the original print ad's -

"Monaro out to drive you Wild".

For you car buffs - you will notice that the rear 1/4 window sheetmetal area was lifted straight from a Oldsmobile Toronado !

Ya Baby! Ya! Shagadelic!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 AM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Is their anyway to save Youtube videos to my computer, or can you only view from the website???
Old 01-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbo 3.6
Is their anyway to save Youtube videos to my computer, or can you only view from the website???
You cannot download from youtube so you will have to use video capture software. I use WM recorder www.replay-video.com.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You cannot download from youtube so you will have to use video capture software. I use WM recorder www.replay-video.com.
Nah, it's easy to download from youtube/google if you use Firefox....

http://www.joshkinberg.com/blog/arch...sed_google.php
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lif...ey-script.html
Old 01-05-2007, 10:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Well the idea of being able to drive it for ten years and then being able to sell it for what you paid for it is pretty good as far as cars go. I think they got that part right.
I agree 100%. Of all the Porsche's I have owned I either sold them for what I had into them or at a decent profit. Now when I think what I could have invested the money in and made a potential profit, I guess the money could have been used more wisely but I have to admit I had a lot of smiles and they were all for free and to me that is priceless!!!!

If the 74 914 2.0L I sold for $9500 can bring $15,000 3 years later, I don't see why a car like a 94 turbo with so many less available, shouldn't appreciate somewhat. I think they were pretty fair on current value and had most of their facts right. By the enthusiasm in their voice I would say either one would take the car in a second at current value. Until I find something that comes along that captures all of what a true sports car is all about and can perform as well or better with classic lines and a build quality on par with our cars then I will buy it. For now I stick with what I consider the last of the true Porsche's with classic lines and pure German build quality.

IMO other than the 993TTS's and the limited various RS and RSR's there are very few cars that have the quality and provide what these cars did. Newer cars may become more capable but at a price and if the 94 turbo is a "C" I would like to see what they consider an "A" or "B" that has been made since the mid 90"S.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Megatron-UK
Nah, it's easy to download from youtube/google if you use Firefox....

http://www.joshkinberg.com/blog/arch...sed_google.php
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lif...ey-script.html

Good knowledge! I use firefox I'll try it.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:23 AM
05gt-3jeff
Intermediate

rating this car a "c" , I feel is unfair. I would rate this car as a collectable porsche as a "B+"
as far as value, its a great value and price in today's market. most cars that have this type of
performance are quite bloated in size. look at the M6 BMW.....
Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
If the 74 914 2.0L I sold for $9500 can bring $15,000 3 years later, I don't see why a car like a 94 turbo with so many less available, shouldn't appreciate somewhat.
There a a few difference. The 914 was not galvenized, so most rusted. Also, the 914 was the entry level car, so very few were weekend toys and kept in pristine condition. The 3.6t will definitely be a real collector, but it will be another 10-15 years.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
There a a few difference. The 914 was not galvenized, so most rusted. Also, the 914 was the entry level car, so very few were weekend toys and kept in pristine condition. The 3.6t will definitely be a real collector, but it will be another 10-15 years.
Good point. Although, there must still be a few thousand to chose from I doubt there are many that are in the pristine condition I sold mine in.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:45 PM
racelance
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I just wrote the following thread which led me to this post: Click here.

This Pcar is mine, I love it & feel the same as any Porsche owner - it's not the value it's all about the sheer excitement of starting it up & driving it! Okay, I must admit I don't drive it often but I would if the weather was nicer where I live. These cars have always been beautiful artwork to me - I love the sexy curves & etc.

Here's a picture of the car during the taping:

It's fun hearing your thoughts about these cars as well - I feel they will become more desirable down the road without a doubt. They are great cars!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sincerely,

Lance
Old 01-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Well i have to admit when i bought mine i really couldve cared less how much it would be worth in 5 years or more, its a car ive wanted since i was about 2 years old when my pop had his and i was going to get one no matter what. And its worth every single penny in terms of sheer enjoyment.

JERRY

Quick Reply: 3.6 Turbo ... What's it worth? Collectible?