Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Scart Exhaust Mods- Anyone know them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:06 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scart Exhaust Mods- Anyone know them?

I am shortly going to change standard Cat for a 100-cell cat. My garage have recommended a French company Scart http://www.scart-exhausts.com/ They are supposed to be very well developed and quality products, supposedly better than competitors (eg. Cargraphic). Obviously the main benefit is more power and improved reponse but important for me is subtle sound improvements. (I liked my old 3.2 sound more than the Turbo.) If it still doesn't sound exciting enough for me, I'll look at secondary muffler.

For the secondary muffler, Scart do a 'swans-neck' which is longer than the g-pipe/ J-pipe and they say gives a very nice sound and even a little more power, apparently better developed than the shorter pipe.

Have any Rennlisters used these Scart parts and able to comment?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:25 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

911addict, which garage are you using If you don't mind me asking?......... By the way, i'd at least look at http://www.porschetuning.co.uk/ before going elsewhere

Edit: Or their other site http://www.ninemeister.com/
Old 05-10-2006, 02:23 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

JBL,
Ninemeister too far. And they don't do 100 cell cat according to website (and they didn't reply to both my email enquiries!)
I use Jaz in Wembley. Always been good, and they race 911s. They've used Scart on a few 993's -good feedback, but I'll be the first 965.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

The scart stuff LOOKS good, I guess good feed back is enough. I'm surprised at you getting no response from 9m, the reason I thought you should give them a call is they usually have some second hand stuff lying around and you could get a better deal. If you ever change your headers I would definitely use them, the ones on mine are work of art! You wouldn't have to take your car up there for the exhaust, they could send it down for your boys to fit. When you do start going further with the mods I would keep them in mind, I fly up to Manchester from Heathrow for around 60 quid and then a 30 quid taxi so the distance isn't a big deal. Only my experience
Old 05-10-2006, 04:21 PM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Ninemeister has ongoing e-mail problems. Something to do with their isp. Don't take that as a sign of poor service.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:04 PM
zarpoxx
Advanced

Hello 911adict,

I have a scart exhaust (swans neck and wastegate bypass) in my turbo. The final exhaust (swans neck) is perfect. I was affraid that the swans neck was very loud (I listened a g pipe + cat bypass and for me its too loud), but this exhaust has a excellent made quality and the sound is impressive. Each time I lift of the gas..... wow!! It´s a fabulous burble noise!! I think that it is the perfect combination enter sound and level of noise.

Next week I will put a cat bypass from Ghl, so I will tell you how loud it is in real driving conditions (you know what I am saying: If you be able to have a conversation with your passenger, if it is not very loud in real condition of trafics)....I will cross my fingers, because the MAIN reason I had to buy this exhaust is that G pipe seems louder than swans neck, due the lenght of the tube.

Respect a waste bypass from scart....I can´t be able to note the difference betewen now and before. The reason is that when the waste gate opens (in my car at 1 bar), the sound of the motor and the wind I think prevents hear anything.

I hope that my experience helps you.

Bye!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:06 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

zarpoxx,
Thanks, that's a great help.
You have confirmed to me that the swans neck is the way to go for nice noise. Is it more exciting at high revs? What is the low speed (cruising) sound like? And at idle?

And I'm thinking the 100cell cat is the way for performance with not too much noise.

Are you sure the burbling sound comes from the swans neck side? I thought the burble & pop is from the turbo side and maybe louder due to your new wastegate bypass....What do you think?

Last edited by 911addict; 05-15-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:54 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 911addict
www.scart-exhausts.com
Linky no worky
Old 05-16-2006, 02:44 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Colin, you're right! It worked before, hmmm........

BTW, the PCGB was hacked this morning and a dirty great welcome with the hacker's logo!
http://www.porscheclubgbforum.com/
Old 05-16-2006, 12:00 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Both sites work again, must have been the hackers!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:10 PM
zarpoxx
Advanced

Hello,

Sorry to be late, but I could not answer you before.

Lets go (all experiences with cat and swans neck):

At idle: Better sound with no doubt. It is louder than before, but just a little. I like when I arrived at home (comunity garage or parking), down the windows, open the top and...Its music. I remember when I got a 964 carrera 4 with a cup bypass (long tube rear the bumper). It is very similar.

At high revs: Sounds more, but it is not the sound that I would like to have. Again, I remember my ex 964 and I have to say that now (swans neck) it is not good sound like my ex 964. I will prefer that it would be more loud.

At cruising (low speed): It is the way to be. It is the better scenario. When you go cruising at low speeds, and lift gas...you can hear perfectly the RIGHT side (swans neck) burble and pop. All the people (pedestrians), turn their heads. Its amazing! But it is not a savage burble and pops (at least at this speeds...). It is perfect.

Again, I confirmed to you that I don´t realize the sound of bypass wastegate ....so dont waste your money.

Sorry but I have a bad english.

Buy it, you will not be repent.

Bye!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:25 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Zarpoxx
Thank you. Your english is easily understood, and much better than my Spanish!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

The waste gate side is only open when you've reached full boost, it has nothing to do with the popping you get when you let off the gas, that's unburnt fuel igniting in your exhaust, I would have to say the wastegate bypass is a must, ok on my 930 it's a basic angled pipe straight off the wastegate, (have a look under the 930 section on the scart site as it's exactly the same), yours is different but it will still make a fantastic "jet engine" sound when you come on boost and the wastegate opens, you probably wouldn't notice a great deal of difference with the windows up and travelling at speed, but those short bursts through the gears with the windows down on a sunny day, or even better when going through a tunnel is just awesome, when friends follow me in their car and I floor it they say it sounds awesome, and I’m running a standard muffler!! (albeit with 9m headers)
Old 05-17-2006, 03:10 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

JBL,
is yours Scart? Who fitted it?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Originally Posted by 911addict
JBL,
is yours Scart? Who fitted it?
No mine isn't a scart one, 9m fabricated it for my car but it's exactly the same as the scart one as it's just a flange and a bent piece of pipe (remember my car is a 930), yours is a little more complicated as it needs to take the place of your rear left exhaust tip where the original fitment on mine was just a pipe with a baffle and didn't come out of the rear of the car. We have similar engines but yours was fitted with a CAT so the set up is different, others in this thread who have 964's and swear by the wastegate by pass/dump pipe whatever you want to call it, trust me you will LOVE the sound, whether you use scart, B&B, fabricate your own etc etc

Quick Reply: Scart Exhaust Mods- Anyone know them?