964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Sway bars on a track car

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bars on a track car

Installed monoballs and Bilstein 964 Cup suspension on my 964 turbo 1991.
The springs are 600 front and 800 rear and I run -3.0 camber front and -2.5 rear. The weight of the car is 2880 pounds (empty).

I now spend 10 hours on the track with the car (with the above setup) and I am not 100% happy with the handeling, it's not bad but it feels like there is room for improvement. I am running stock sway bars front and rear.

The 964 Cup came with a 24mm sway bar front and 18mm sway bar rear.
I run stock 21mm (I think) front and rear.
I don't get the grip I want at the rear, think I need to go really soft on the rear sway bar.

Anyone experienced who could help out on what to get and where to get it ?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to be aware that on a 964 Turbo the front suspension points are mounted in the outboard suspension holes in the chassis. This requires a wider front sway bar than a narrow body. All 993 chassis including 993tt are also in the inboard setting (narrow body). A sway bar for a narrow body chassis will not fit properly, so TRG and H&R bars are not the correct bars for a 964 Turbo car. The sway bar needs to be about 50mm wider (2") than a narrow body bar. I searched and could not find a proper bar and ended up luckily finding a 964 RSR factory 24mm sway bar for my turbo car.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You need to be aware that on a 964 Turbo the front suspension points are mounted in the outboard suspension holes in the chassis. This requires a wider front sway bar than a narrow body. All 993 chassis including 993tt are also in the inboard setting (narrow body). A sway bar for a narrow body chassis will not fit properly, so TRG and H&R bars are not the correct bars for a 964 Turbo car. The sway bar needs to be about 50mm wider (2") than a narrow body bar. I searched and could not find a proper bar and ended up luckily finding a 964 RSR factory 24mm sway bar for my turbo car.
Okey, how is it with the rear swaybar, same problem there or will a 964 RS swaybar fit ?
Also, will I notice any handeling improvement by installing a strut brace ?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:32 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Same problem Staffan. The rear bar is wider. AJ-USA use to make a kit for the turbo front and rear with rod-end drop links. I sold and installed a number of these for turbos customers (had a set on my own 3.6T). But since they hardly sell Porsche stuff anymore, they don't plan on getting these back in stock....
Old 04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bob, yeah thought that was the case.
Seems to be tricky, will see if I can get hold of sway bars from a 964 RSR but that's probably a long shot. Easiest is probably to get something custome made.

I will try 24mm front and 18mm rear.
It's very tail-happy at the moment, anyone tried running w/o the rear sway bar on the track ?

Quick Reply: Sway bars on a track car