Oil Line Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 10:24 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Line Failure

Just a heads up to check those oil lines in your right rear quarter panel. The return hose from the turbo failed at VIR a couple weeks ago spraying oil down the back straight - this is the one on the outside with a woven fiber sheath.

It actually failed twice, the second time after trying to splice a metal tube in the line after cutting out the split section. This failure sprays oil down onto the right rear tire - fortunately it happened on a straight section of track. I am not the first to experience this. Justin (sprbxr) was at the track that day and told me he had exactly the same problem.

Looking at the hose after replacement reveals it was hard and brittle - the hose clamps on the spliced sections only created more cracks. I hate to say it, but these lines have a limited life - this winter I will probably undertake the project of replacing them all.

If anyone has specifications on the hose diameters and fittings that would be helpful so I could order in advance. I do not plan to use OEM as the costs are unbelievable.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

That sucks,

Gald to hear nothing serious happened, although I am sure there were some unhappy drivers out there after it happened a second time.

I have the B&B headers installed about 2 years ago. This line is replaced with the kit so I am set to go. But it does make sense to check these things periodicly like you suggest.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Jeff, are you talking about the line that runs from your engine and connects to the 2nd line in the right wheelhouse? Or is is the 2nd line that runs to the oil sump tank? If you are thinking about running a aftermarket head/heat exchanger system, you can run an early line and then make a smaller line that connect to the wheelhouse connection. I'll dig a picture up.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:07 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, thanks for your email about the mobil1 oil.
I think Jeff means the line that runs over the top of the transmission. It has rubber where it goes into the oil tank, about 10".

Jeff, if you mean this hose then remove the line from the car and take it somewhere to get it repaired, they can do the proper crimps on the ends that you can't do cheaply.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace stock for an aftermarket one,. Mine broke when umm some boozo hooked a winch to it to tow it when it broke down once.... costs £500 for the pipe from porsche
Old 10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

This was the line that I made. The connection is in the right rear wheel-house.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:47 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am talking about the 2nd line - the one that runs up over the wheel well. That's the one that split.

I have the metal braided line from the engine that was replaced with the header change - I don't see that one as being a problem.

There are actually three rubber hoses in that wheel well - since I have one now that is new, the project over the winter will be to replace the other two. While I am at it, I'll probably do the thermostat too.

Nathan - these lines are now hard and I might as well replace them if I can do it without spending too much money.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:33 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok an old post but I just had the oil linefail that runs from above the turbo all the way around the back of the engine to the sending unit on the other side. It is a metal braided rubber hose. It let go right above the turbo. Its in the shop and word is most of the "stuff" on top of the engine has to removed to get at it. After 15-1/2 years the ozone has finaly taken its toll on the rubber goods. i think I will look at replacing all of them.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's also the heat from the turbine housing..
Old 11-09-2006, 10:33 PM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My turbo 3.6 is in the shop right now getting the 3 rubber hoses replaced.

While they were in there they also noticed that a small stone (probably flicked up off the tire from road works) had got stuck between the inner wheel well and the steel oil pipe, and must have been fretting away over time and had rubbed a small hole thru the steel oil pipe (ar ha, thats where the oil leak would have been coming from)

Just another thing to be aware of in this department, and if you live in an area that uses those horrible little sharps stones on the roads its probably worth while taking the RH rear wheel off from time to time and checking for stones sitting on the top of the steel oil pipe.

Heading off to the shop to pick the car up for the weekend
Old 11-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That line is the line that goes from the thermostat to the oil filter console. Do not buy an OEM replacement one, spend the few dollars more and get the Porsche one. The aftermarket ones are rubber, not braided and they kink as it goes behind the oil tank. You don't want that.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:04 AM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Geoffrey
Are you refering to Turbo 3.6 hose or my hose?
I will go back with Porsche brand. Sure Porsche parts are more but as with any quality item, you get what you pay for and the few $$ you save up front may come back to haunt later. Lets face it, if it lasted 15-1/2 years from the factory why change to something with no track record.

Quick Reply: Oil Line Failure