964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Not starting need some ignition advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not starting need some ignition advice

I just pulled my IC to wire up my zeitronix unit and also I t-bared the vac tube that goes to the EZ unit for the zeitronix boost sensor reading. I also took a wire from the coil to get an rpm reading..... however its not starting now- fuel pumps etc are ok so im assuming spark.

I have put everything back to normal as well (zeitronix boost sensor and rpm signal wire have be taken off)

I want to test the spark and voltage so can someone tell me a few answers

1) Which is the neg terminal on the coil (could not see it labeled) higher or lower one?
2) Should there be a voltage when cranking only or when ignition is turned ON with the coil?
3) I have a real worry its my EZ unit (big bucks) from reading some old posts- I worked on the car with the battery disconnected but I am thinking somehow this RPM reading from the coil might of done something.
4) Anything else I can check?

Old 10-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear you have problems.
Can't be of help there since I never had spark problems.
Only thing I can think of is the ground for the pressure switch, but I guess you have that covered and if that was the problem it would start for a second or two.

I read rpm from underneath the driver seat for my Zeitronix unit.
It's in the little black box on the left side looking from the back, not the two larger black boxes.
The little black box has 6 cables (pop off the lid), it's the black with a green stripe.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

oh yea I remember you saying about the rach signal from inside- I will do that instead.

I just hope its not the EZ gone- cost a bomb! Cannot see why tho....
Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Can anyone give me ANY advice please? So far I have no spark, no voltage going to the coil when ignition is ON but I have 4 volt going to one of the black round connectors that fit onto the EZ unit- is my EZ unit bust or am I not checking to see if there is voltage going to the EZ properely- how do I do this?
Attached Images   
Old 10-05-2005, 03:16 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Miles, I haven't heard of anyone replacing this unit.

Speaking from experience, start with the simple things.

How did you check the lack of spark?

Double check that the parts you touched are correctly reconnected/fitted e.g. is the intercooler correctly fitted? Is the Tbar connection holding vacuum?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Hey, well I havent untill I saw a post by KeithC2 Turbo who seemed to have an issue with it. I have checked spark before and im sure its not sparking- it placed a screwdriver in the plug and placed it against the bodywork when some turned the engine but nothing...- their would be current to the coil tho anyway.... ive changed the relay too - i will try and check if voltage is getting to the relay then for sure its gotta be the EZ box- and vacum wise wouldnt effect my spark
Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The reason I said check the simple things and parts you've disturbed is that my car had starting problems due to a bad earth in the rear relay tray, and another car had issues with a pipe not being refitted properly i.e. nothing major.

Granted, you might have fried the box, but more probably you have disturbed a vital connection and that's the place I would start.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Miles, keeping my fingers crossed.

This is what you have to do:

To check the if the EZ unit gets power.
Looking at your picture above, check voltage on the left plug by, meassure between top left and bottom right contact in the plug, should show battery voltage when ignition is on.
If you don't have battery voltage the EZ unit doesn't get power.

To check if you have engine speed signal.
Engine speed signal on the EZ unit is the plug below the boost input.
Connect an engine tester or oscilloscope (or whatever it's called in english) in the plug, center of the plug and outside of the plug. Crank the engine with the starter, should show between -1 and +1V. If you messaure ohm at the same place it should show 540 to 600 ohm.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

John- thanks i see what you mean.... i did refit everything but had a strange feeling the wire from the coil might of blew it!

Thank you Staffan- you seem to know about the EZ then- if you mean connecting the voltmeter to the actual plugs- not the ez itself then i tried that.... didnt know what each one does but i got a 4V reading between two of them- do you know what each one does- it one an input and the other output to the coil? - ... now the oscilloscope thing- thats tricky ill have to get one of those- dont have clue really! - is that an output then on the EZ unit?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Yeah, you meassure at the plug according to the workshop manual.
If you don't have battery voltage between these two contacts when ignition is on your EZ doesn't get power. So, if that is the case you need to figure out why you don't have any power, fuse, relay, wiring..
Old 10-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Ok - I am getting power to the EZ with ignition on so will check for voltage at the coil whilst cranking- as ive been informed the flywheel sensor needs to be active before the EZ produces voltage....

If not Ive got someone who can test the EZ.... fingers crossed! Bit of a hurdle as I was just about to see how zeitronix works
Old 10-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

According to workshop manual:
"If voltage and the engine speed signal are present, the ignition coil must be triggered".
Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Miles,

Have you fixed the problem? If so, what was the cause?

Cheers
John
Old 10-24-2005, 06:22 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Not yet- I am sure its the EZ- I am having it tested and inspected by some electronics expert - however I am still waiting for him to pick it up! I will report back to the board what the problem was...
Old 01-21-2006, 09:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Miles,

Not that I have a problem, but I'm nevertheless interested to know. Who can repair/diagnose these expensive little black boxes?

Quick Reply: Not starting need some ignition advice