964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

CO adjustment screw plugged

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CO adjustment screw plugged

After encountering some high end boost fluctuations I attempted to locate my CO adjustment screw, but to my dismay there is a metal plug or cap at the top of the hole where you would insert the 3mm tool. I spoke with one of the guys at Imagine Auto and he said that the factory installed that plug to discourage any tampering, but I should check on Rennlist to find out how to remove it. Has anyone else encountered these problems if so please respond. FWIW my car has a 1 bar spring and a Fabspeed Cat Bypass pipe.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

After much research I discovered from the folks at Autothority & Lufteknic that you must do a partial engine drop to drill out the metal plug at a cost of around $500 bucks. Oh well, I guess I'll replace my stock boost spring and wait until I have to do a total rebuild.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:20 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Hi Tony
First of all, are you sure this is this the source of your problem ?
It could be fuel pumps, injectors, electrical, o2 sensor, vacum leak etc.
I wouldn't bet my money on a bad co setting, but perhaps this is the case.

If this is the source of your problem, I don't think it has to be drilled out.
Read about this before but I don't remeber where, do a search on all the Porsche boards.

The whole idea with the plug is to make it harder to adjust but not impossible.
Think about it, if you can't adjust the CO you add to the pollution which contradict the whole reason for this setup.

Anyway, if you are going to drill this thing out....
A partial engine drop sounds like a dramatic thing but it's very easy.
I would say it takes 1-2 hour the first time including scratching the head, being worried etc.
It's described in Adrians 964 book, I think there are articles at www.pelicanparts.com as well.

If you are allergic to lower the engine you can just remove the distributor, you first need to remove the intercooler and airbox. I have done this a few times so it's a 30 minute job, first time it took a couple of hours. Much more work than lower the engine though.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

Thanks Staffan for all the great feedback, I really appreciate it. I know our cars are unique but it gets somewhat frustrating when the Porsche dealer will not provide any assistance. Hence, Rennlist and people like yourself. Well I'm not totally sure that the CO needs adjusting but I'll definetly know once I install the stock spring. All I can add is I didn't have any problems until I installed the 1 bar boost spring. I'll let you know how it turns out and again thanks for responding to my post.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

Staffan you were right, after re-installed my stock boost spring although not as severe, my car is not performing as it should. As long as I don't try to accelerate really fast I feel my car is performing at 80% but if I try to punch it after it has warmed up of course it hesitates and backfires and it only stops if I ease off the gas. Staffan as you mention in your post its going to take some trouble-shooting, but I think I'll have to wait until I get to California next month. Hey can anyone recommend a repair shop in San Bernardino County, CA.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Ok, really hard to tell what the problem is.
Is your car performing better when cold ?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drop the engine, huh? Simply undo the adjustment screw form the head via the two screws on either side. Pull it up and out drill the plug out and drop in back in. Worse case is you pull the intercooler and airbox.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

Staffan I would have to say hot, warm, or cold I get the same thing. I ordered a new fuel filter and accumulator to eliminate those items as culprits. Dr. Porsche how much time should the average mechanic allow for the action you described in your post and thank you for your feedback it is most appreciated.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Truly only a couple of hours. The longest part is getting the intercooler and airbox off.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:55 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this done by Pro Technik in Houston - they charged two hours and the engine was left in place.

Quick Reply: CO adjustment screw plugged