964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Smoking engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 07:41 AM
PhilHarnett
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking engine

I'm a 911 Turbo virgin so treat me gently. Just bought car and I've noticed that particularly when I park on a slight incline, (car facing up the incline), I get smoke on start up, just a puff of pale greyish, but it is pretty noticable. When running the car appears to smoke free. Now so far I've followed all the rules, engine had oil change on day one with Mobil 1 synthetic. It's not overfilled. I've got good pressure in all conditions. Am I over paranoid? Do I need to get my cheque book ready for a big bill?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:55 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Don't worry about it

Originally Posted by PhilHarnett
I'm a 911 Turbo virgin so treat me gently. Just bought car and I've noticed that particularly when I park on a slight incline, (car facing up the incline), I get smoke on start up, just a puff of pale greyish, but it is pretty noticable. When running the car appears to smoke free. Now so far I've followed all the rules, engine had oil change on day one with Mobil 1 synthetic. It's not overfilled. I've got good pressure in all conditions. Am I over paranoid? Do I need to get my cheque book ready for a big bill?
Hi Phill,

Welcome to Rennlist 694 Turbo forum.

You have seen is pretty normal. If you park on flat surface for a few days, you will get the same puff of smoke on start up.

Why does this happen? Because of the lay out of the engine (flat 6/ horizontal), some oil will seep past the rings in the pistons and get into the cylinders. When you start up your car, you get that puff of smoke.

Now, if the smoke does not clear up or continue to smoke after you drive for a while, then you can get out your check book.

Regards,

Sonny
ps: It is customary (some say the law) to post pictures of your car if you are new.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Phil;

welcome!! Did you get a leakdown prior to purchase.. Valve guides, rings, and turbocharger seals are the top problems to consistant smoking cars.. High oil levels will Always create the smoke show...
Old 06-24-2005, 04:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 595 Likes on 354 Posts

Phil,

Sonny is right. Another reason these cars smoke at start up is a small amount of oil pooling in the KKK turbo housing, which again is normal.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:30 AM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Hey Phil how bout some pics! Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:54 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would also make sure the car is between the marks on the dipstick. If the car is FULL to the top the chance of smoke on start up is greater. It is a dry sump system so oil pulls through the system and a little lower level is fine.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:43 AM
PhilHarnett
2nd Gear

Default Thanks everyone about smoking engine query

All explained. In fact I 'd just changed the oil the day before so maybe it was a little on the high side but all seems fine now. No more smoke signals.

Got to say, I previously ran a Lotus Elise, brilliant car, but this Turbo is a whole different ball game. Amazing. On full boost whoooaaa. Talking of which does anyone know of any serious porsche driver training courses in the UK? Preferably using models that are similar in feel and handling to a '91 Turbo.

Also sorry about the lack of picture, will put that right asap. But just a brief desciption. It's black on black, big red brakes, 18 OZ rims.

Last thing, anyone know where I can get an ashtray? I know it's not PC anymore, but someone removed it an its left an ugly hole in the middle of my dash.

Again many thanks to everyone. It's great to be able to tap into such an amazing pool of worldwide knowledge.

Cheers

Phil
Old 06-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the board Phil!
Enjoy your car, very rare with engine problems on these cars.
But don't be alarmed you will spend your money on gas, tires, discs, brake pads and "compensation for expensive hobby"-gifts for your girlfriend ;-)

Quick Reply: Smoking engine