Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 04:57 AM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy HELP! Please talk me out of it!

Hi Everyone

I saw a 993 C4S today at a dealership near me. Ahhh, man it looks good!

BUT... that would mean giving up my 964T! I'm just so torn cos I love my turbo. But that 993C4S... wow!

Help talk me outta this cos I know I will regret it!!
Old 06-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Henning964Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesnt have a turbo?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:39 AM
BennyWang
AutoX

I was in the same shoe like you! It was a 98 C4S, damn it's rare and so beautiful! At the end I still go for my C2TURBO simply because the shape is so triditional and I couldn't take my eyes off of it!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Vince5
Instructor

Kevin what are you thinking
Now C4S owners don't take offence for what i am going to write but....

Kevin this is what you would loose
The amazing traditionnal look of the 964 Turbo, the best looking road car Porsche ever made !
The amazing performance of the turbo car, by that I don't mean the HP number which is good in itself, but the big mono turbo engine character that's so amazing and not politicaly correct. This engine has a personnality, it feels very fast (faster than it truly is and that's a strong positive) and has a will of it's own ! There are not that many cars out there these days that offer the same thrill when the turbo kicks in.
The rear wheel drive is a must, the 964is the last turbo car (appart from the turbo GTs) with rear wheel drive
The tunability, you can do so much with this car and engine. 420 reliable HPs are within reach with relatively minor upgrades, this will ensure that your sports car's performance will keep up with todays market. and more importantly the thrill will go on as you keep improving your car

What you get
A very good looking sports car but with a shape that's slightly watered down from the traditionnal Porsche look. It's all a matter of tastes.
The last air cooled flat6 but with much less engine character than the turbo, you will wonder where has the thrill gone ?
Less performance than the turbo, you will feel slower....
Less upgrade potential (you will not dare do anything to the 4S, you would destroy it's value), it means performance is not outdated today but it's not mind blowing either, it also means you can't do much but sell her if you at some point want more.
4 Wheels drive is for girls (from the man who put his turbo in the ditch )
4 wheels drive slows you down most of the time (it's mostly better when you can't go fast anyways like heavy rain, snow)
You do get a better rear axel, nicer exhaust sound inside the coupe and lower running costs but the 4S would be more expensive to buy. for the price difference you can start to turn your Turbo into a monster.

Well you get my point the turbo is the real challenge to drive, it's the car that will keep you on the edge and be more demanding but it will also be much more rewarding to drive ! I say don't do it wether you use your car for week-end drives, track time, just for show or daily driver ! The only reason i would do it would be feeling that i can't handle the Turbo anylonger and want a more tame sport's car....

PS - Sorry for C4s owners reading this, it's just that I like so much my old turbo
Old 06-17-2005, 07:37 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I actually went the other way. I looked into a C4S first. too slow ( beautiful car though ) for my taste. Then I looked at the 3.6t. ahhh this was me. Classic looks plus the power to boot.

Test drive the C4S. Then decide.

Good Luck
Old 06-17-2005, 09:33 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

1) The C4S is no more rare than a 964t.
2) In general, the turbo cars will hold their value better than the non turbo cars
3) When you want to tweak the engine, you basically can't.

Do yourself a favor and just spend a few $s on some upgrades on the 964t...it will feel like a whole new car.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

It's slow!

You don't drive a Porsche because it's slow, it's the otherway around unless you are a hairdresser, but if you where you would be looking at a Boxster :-)

Sorry, it's friday...
Old 06-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Vince5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Staffan
It's slow!

You don't drive a Porsche because it's slow, it's the otherway around unless you are a hairdresser, but if you where you would be looking at a Boxster :-)

Sorry, it's friday...

Now since it's friday if cars were girls what would the 964 turbo be and what would the 993 4S be
Old 06-17-2005, 11:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

The C4S is a beautiful car and if I were to buy a 993 it would be a C4S.

I will say this, out of every C4S owner that has had a ride in my car not a one walked away without saying they felt the turbo felt far superior over the C4S. In every case the C4S owner walked away in amazement. One time I went to pass someone in a passing zone and the C4S owner was sure I could not make the pass. They were just shocked how quickly and smoothly I accelerated passed the slow car with more than ample room and safety. They just kept saying how they thought there car was fast but there was no way their car could do what the turbo did.

Yes my car has some slight mods but nothing that can't be easily done to yours and reverted back if desired. I would make some changes and you will walk away with a refreshed smile and new appreciation for what these cars are all about.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:21 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to add my 2cents.. DON'T DO IT...

Kevin,

I had a '97 C2S, which looks the same as the C4S (except for the 4wd bits). Let me tell you, you will be disappointed in term of power and overall satisfactions.

My C2S was $20k more expensive than my C2turbo and yet did not get the same recognition as the Turbo. The turbo always command respects. Not that I care, but I notice these things when I had it.

Most of you guys here did not know this, but I totaled my C2S in May 2000 and got my Turbo in Oct 2000. I had major Porsche withdraw for 5 months. The accident was bad (I was ok, walked away with no injury), but I was glad that it happened otherwise I would have not had a chance to experience the turbo and I love it.

I was not happy with the C2S, power wise, I bought it because of the wide body look, and it was only 2 years old when I bought it. I had a '78 911SC before that. I felt that it was not fast or feel very fast as compare to the Turbo. It lacks the torque and the kick that are so addicting on a Turbo.

The best thing for you is to test drive one extensively to find out if you like it or not. For me, I think that once one experienced the Turbo one will not want to try anything else.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 06-17-2005, 03:19 PM
RoadKill
Instructor

Kevin,

Take your Turbo out on the road; Get it up to about 3,500 RPM's; Hammer it!
Discussion over!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

964Turbo or 993C4S???
964 Turbo anytime without a doubt. JMHO.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Henning964Turbo
It doesnt have a turbo?

EXACTLY! No kick up the rear! It's slower...

I agree!!!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BennyWang
... I couldn't take my eyes off of it!
Benny, I know exactly what you mean! I just woke up here in Australia and first thing I did was go out and look at the car ... yeah, pathetic I know

*Sigh* it's such a good looking car.... and you know, every now and then I get behind a bus full of school kids, who really shouldn't know the icon we do of the whaletail - they were not even born back then... but still they point and stare.

Kinda says something huh!
Old 06-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vince5
Kevin what are you thinking

....but the big mono turbo engine character
Wha... , what happened! I... must have been... ummm

DREAMING!!

You're right Vince! You hit the nail on the head!! Character, sorry to all other later Porsche owners, but I think that this is exactly what has been dialed OUT of later models.

They look good, go well no doubt, but lack character.

ahhhh, I'm starting to feel muuuuuch better!

You guys rock

Quick Reply: HELP! Please talk me out of it!