964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Electronic Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:12 AM
RUFRCT
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Boost Controller

Which do you use? HKS is the only one I know of. Is electronic the way to go?

Dave
Old 04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear the Greddy Profec B is good stuff and user friendly. A lot use it and it's pretty affordable.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:10 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

I use the HKS. Once its programmed, its user friendly. I think it was around $700 after install.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Greddy profec type "s" is what I have, very user friendly having only (3) *****: gain, low
boost and high boost. many of us boost freaks use low boost for pump gas and high
boost when guys in z06's or vipers start mouthing off (high boost plus 1/2 tank race gas
equals viper killier). call greddy there technical people are very helpful.
m.k.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a Biltz Dual SBC Spec R, which is basically the same thing as the SBC-ID (without the cool display). It has peak hold, gain, warning mode (beeps, cuts boost to amount you preset), 4 different boost presets, boost gauge, etc. I'm very happy with mine. It was ~$400, and I installed it in 1-2hrs. This is a very solid EBC, and unless you turn the gain up too high, it doesn't really have boost spikes.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:24 PM
marcvip
Banned

I'm looking into the APEX-i AVR ....has anyone tried it?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:41 PM
JadedSilver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marcvip
I'm looking into the APEX-i AVR ....has anyone tried it?
The Apexi is an excellent EBC. A bit pricey but you do get what you pay for in that device. It has options to set up staged boost levels for your gears(IE 10psi 1sts, 13psi for 2nd, 15psi for 3rd, etc) to help you control wheelspin off the line, and is self compensating for elevation, OAT, and other things for that matter. It's my preferred boost controller and is what I had in my old car. absolutely loved it vs my old Greddy. Probably what I'll get for my new car once I get a few more important things taken care of. Around $500 for the kit. Installation is pretty straight forward.

If you want a decent boost controller without all the fuss and frills of a full blown EBC.. the Turbo XS Dual MBC(two stage manual BC) is great and works flawless. Set your low boost, set your high boost, and select between the two with a simple(and subtle) toggle switch somewhere in your cabin. Usually in the $220 range, sometimes cheaper.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I just bought a "Turbosmat EBoost" got it on Ebay, any body have experience with these.??
Elliot
Old 04-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

I use Blitz Dual Solenoid, got it at Ebay from Japan for about $200, works perfectly.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the EBC replace the wastegate with the electronics located in the cabin? Is that all there is to installation?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBH
Does the EBC replace the wastegate with the electronics located in the cabin? Is that all there is to installation?
The EBC controls the wastegate.

Basically the EBC blocks the wastegate from getting the right pressure from the intercooler until a dialed in threashold value is reached.

With an EBC the wastegate will stay shut until the right pressure is reached, the stock wastegate will start to bleed some pressure before it opens up.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:58 PM
JadedSilver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JBH
It doesn't directly replace the wastegate, just the amount of boost it gets for reference. In general EBC terms the electronic control module sends a signal(s) to a remote mounted BCS(boost control solenoid) located in the engine compartment. That solenoid bleeds off the boost the wastegate diaphram "sees" and thus increases boost. Every EBC has its own functions and operation, but they all follow the same general principles of operation.

ttyl,

Last edited by JadedSilver; 04-25-2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-25-2005, 05:11 PM
JadedSilver
Intermediate

One great thing I will add about EBC's that MBC's just cannot do is that they have the ability to hold off boost bleed right until the desired boost preset pressure is reached.

On a stock car, the wastegate diaphram gets its boost reference signal from a line plumbed essentially into the intake plenum(some off the turbo compressor housing). Doing so gives the wastegate an uninterrupted boost signal. However stock wastegates, and systems equipped with MBC's, don't stay completely closed until the boost pressure is reached. Instead, the ever increasing boost pressure in the intake plenum actually starts to open the wastegate sooner than necessary, and bleeds off exhaust flow that could otherwise be used to spool the turbocharger faster/sooner.

In most aftermarket EBC setups, the control modules are tune to keep the boost pressure OFF the wastegate diaphram until the boost pressure you set is reached, at which time the BCS opens and feeds the wastegate to open the valve. It then immediately bleeds the necessary amount to maintain that boost pressure. This all happens in a matter of miliseconds. Back in the day this used to pose problems with boost spikes, as the BCS's wouldn't react fast enough to the rising boost pressure and the turbo would overspool. The new technology now(especially in the Apexi) constantly monitors not only boost pressure, but how fast the boost pressure and RPMS are rising in realtion to the TPS signal. this allows the EBC module to compenate the BCS opening time precisely, thus avoiding boost spikes. In reality just simply adding an EBC to your car on stock boost leves can actually decrese lag a bit. The AVR on my old car helped me spool the big GT35R nearly 300rpm faster, and that car only had a 2.0L running at 1.6bar boost through a T-NewGen external wastegate. I can't vouch for it on these cars, i've never had a customer ask me to install one and haven't done it to my car yet.

They're really worth the investment if you're into performance tuning, especially these days with the new technology in them.

ttyl,
Old 04-26-2005, 01:21 AM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question for you guys. I see that some of the EBC does not have a display, and just a few ***** such as low, high, gain.

How do you set the low and high boost pressure levels?

Do you need another boost gauge to do the reading and then set the low/high accordingly?

I am interested in the EBC for a while now, but still very reluctant until I understand more. I only want to add about .2 bar over stock to get to about .9 on my '92 C2Turbo.

Thanks and regards,

Sonny
Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SonnyV
I have a question for you guys. I see that some of the EBC does not have a display, and just a few ***** such as low, high, gain.

How do you set the low and high boost pressure levels?

Do you need another boost gauge to do the reading and then set the low/high accordingly?

I am interested in the EBC for a while now, but still very reluctant until I understand more. I only want to add about .2 bar over stock to get to about .9 on my '92 C2Turbo.

Thanks and regards,

Sonny
Yes you need to know the boost pressure from another source if the EBC doesn't show it. I am running 0.9 bar, going back to 0.7 is not an option anymore.

Quick Reply: Electronic Boost Controller