964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Techart brake ducts with fogs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,233 Posts
Question Techart brake ducts with fogs

Has anyone installed the techart ducts with fogs in their car. I was curious if the fogs are adjustable and what does the hosing that comes with the kit do? Is it designed to vent the brakes or is it used to send additional air to the coolers. I know the ducts installed on the 3.8 RS's were used to send additional air to the oil coolers.

I bought a set from MaShaw and they are very nice but they do not allow you to adjust the beam angle and the fog is not very strong at only 37 watts. It also does not come with any hose or fittings. For the price it is a real deal and the techart stuf was $1200 or so and if I am not mistaken the price is going up. Quite a lot of $$ for fog lights.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anthony, I guess you've already fitted them to the car? If you ever have occasion to take them off the car please let me know, I'd like to see if they would fit up on mine.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Actually, I haven't fitted them yet. Like everything it takes months for me to get to these projects. This is why I am posting in hopes to find out if the techart units are adjustable. The MaShaw units are very nice quality and IMO look better than the Techart units (look like regular brake ducts with lights added vs a different shape for the Techart with fogs) but I prefer the extra light of the fogs and don't like the fact that they are glued in place with no adjustment once the unit is mounted. (Which consists of 1 screw). To mount these i need to remove the fogs and modify the bumper. I don't want to do this until I am sure I have something I will like. I have a hard time spending an extra $1k on the Techart units if the MaShaw will do an equally good job.

Damian, you are more than welcome to check out what I have, although I am not sure if the 968 has a similar opening as the 964 bumper. Let me know if you are in the Clifton area for a quick trip to Rutts Hut. Or I may be down your way in the next week or so.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

I'm free Saturday, and haven't had a ripper in a while . . . or at your convenience, I could always drive to you if Millburn is out of your way.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

If you don't mind coming to Clifton I should be around all day Saturday. I just found out I will not be heading down your way for at least 3 weeks. Give me a call at work when you know better what your schedule will be like. 201-659-0908. BTW I am only about 2 miles from Rutts just off of Rt 3.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Thanks, I'll call Friday to confirm!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:50 AM
Mark S.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Has anyone installed the techart ducts with fogs in their car. I was curious if the fogs are adjustable and what does the hosing that comes with the kit do? Is it designed to vent the brakes or is it used to send additional air to the coolers. I know the ducts installed on the 3.8 RS's were used to send additional air to the oil coolers.

I bought a set from MaShaw and they are very nice but they do not allow you to adjust the beam angle and the fog is not very strong at only 37 watts. It also does not come with any hose or fittings. For the price it is a real deal and the techart stuf was $1200 or so and if I am not mistaken the price is going up. Quite a lot of $$ for fog lights.
The fogs are not adjustable. The hosing is for the brake cooling kit however due to the design and placement of the bumper, body shell and air conditioning and oil cooler condensers there is no way to route the hosing to the brakes.

The mouting screws are form molded in to the moulded ducts and I have had one duct crack on me due to over tightening of the nut on the screw when mounting - which should never happen.

To mount them on the car is also a nightmare because you have to mount the duct in the bumper and then place the bumper on while trying to attach the wiring etc.. And, mounting the front bumper on a 96X car is a friggin' nightmare in the first place.

What's worse is that these units and their sealed bulbs mount from the back of the bumper so that once they are on the car there is no way to change the bulb unless you remove the bumper.

I have them on my car and I say stay away from them as they are not worth the time and money and hassle!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Mark,

Once again "Your the Man".

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I guess I will leave well enough alone. I like the looks of the duct/fog, extra cooling would be nice but not needed. Can't see spending well over a grand after paint, for no real gain and apparently a lot of aggravation.

Thanks again
Old 02-03-2005, 05:37 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Cobalt,

The install is not that difficult. No need to take the bumper off. Just take the bottom tray off to gain access to the coolers and the inside of the bumper. There is some cutting to the bumper in order to fit properly. Nothing a dremel cannot do. It took less than 4 hrs. The first one takes the longest (learning). I used the original Techart kit and had no problem putting them in. They are even easier to take out. I think they look better, provide extra cooling and are much better at night than the stock fogs. Put them in!!!

Good Luck!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:39 AM
69COU
Racer

Default Can you post up picture

Cobalt can you post a picture of the MaShaw units you purchased. I have seen the Techart ones before but ruled them out as being too expensive.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2005, 11:08 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Please excuse my messy work bench. I have been trying to organize my shop for quite some time but never seem to get to it.

As you can see these look much different than the Techart units and are not supplied with any ducting. They actually resemble the ducts without the fogs. I believe they are vette projector fogs but could be wrong. The markings on the bulb say made in Germany.
Attached Images    
Old 02-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Originally Posted by L8Apex
Cobalt,

The install is not that difficult. No need to take the bumper off. Just take the bottom tray off to gain access to the coolers and the inside of the bumper. There is some cutting to the bumper in order to fit properly. Nothing a dremel cannot do. It took less than 4 hrs. The first one takes the longest (learning). I used the original Techart kit and had no problem putting them in. They are even easier to take out. I think they look better, provide extra cooling and are much better at night than the stock fogs. Put them in!!!

Good Luck!
I don't see how that is possbile (unless you are a sadomasochistic contortionist) ! Look at where the ducts sit in the bumper. That is at the level and slightly above the bumper spar. I don't see how you could possibly get them in without removing the bumper. But if there is a verified second installation using your access from below method someone let me know how painful it was and how much skin you lost !
Old 02-04-2005, 01:29 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Mark,

No pain. Some skin loss. But it beats taking off the bumper. with the side markers out, lower lip/tray removed you can install them much easier.

Cobalt,

Those are a little different than the ones Mark S. and I have. The techart kit is more of a heavy foam piece instead of fiberglass.

Use several coats of clear to finish and protect the paint.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Well it sure is pretty. I really like the looks of the car with the ducts vs the fogs only. I know the MaShaw pieces are much different. Didn't realize the TecArt ones were not Fglass. I also like the idea of additional cooling air for the cooler and A/C condenser. I know both you guys installed these a while back. Pricing has jumped from $800 to $1050 and from what i hear current pricing can be as high as $1200. Do you mind letting me know where you bought yours?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:43 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry to disagree with a few folks, but the TechArt fogs are adjustable. They look great, and with the deflectors installed, do get air to the front brakes. dollar for dollar, I would do it again. I put them on at the same time as the carbor fiber front splitter, the change was subtle, but most agree it really finishes the car off, I would go for it Cobalt.

Quick Reply: Techart brake ducts with fogs