Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Just purchased '91 turbo what mods first?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 01:19 AM
krichard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased '91 turbo what mods first?

Ok I am new to the Turbo thing and need advice on what mods give the best bang for the buck. I have done some searching and it looks like the Fabspeed cat bypass is a good place to start. I think I'll be ording mine tonight. What next? I don't want to go overboard so lets say I have 3k to spend right now. What mods will give me the best results and will be safe?

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 09-12-2004, 10:14 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 186 Posts

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new car.I think as far as performance goes get the headers,exhaust and 1 bar boost spring and you will be very happy with the performance.However before you do that i would rather lower the car and put some nice 18" first as this car looks ugly with stock ride height.
Btw did you buy that Coral red 91 and how much did you pay for the car ? How about some picts ?
Old 09-12-2004, 11:22 AM
krichard
Instructor

Where is a good place to start shopping for these components? I ordered the cat bypass from fabspeed last night. I have no idea where to go for the rest, i.e. 1 bar spring and headers. Is it safe to pop on a 1 bar spring without additional mods to the fuel system?

I really like the look of the 3.6 wheels but didn't turn up much other than Wheel Enhancement.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:12 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is safe to run one bar with no fuel mods. Simply turn the CO up a tad. If you are working on a budget consider a set of headers. They will not add a ton of HP but will lower spool times. The power band comes on sooner.

The other consideration is a K27HF with the one bar spring. They will add an increase across the board. The trick is to decide what you are wanting in regards to power, improvements etc. Lots of options.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:38 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Well Richard,Stephen kasper( Imagine Auto) is the man to listen to and i have heard great things about this turbo so if you got the money get the K27HF.Btw Stephen can help you with other parts as well not to mention the free technical support he provides.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:26 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

While you are spending a little money on mods, I would also look at the suspension. You may find that all of these great HP bits may overpower a worn suspension setup. Modding a car is about balance. Add HP to a car and you need to make sure you can turn it, and still stop it. Also, if you have never enjoyed a car with the performance potential of this car (I see you do have other P-Cars in the stable) then some driving instruction can never be a bad thing.

Good luck with the mods and enjoy the new ride...
Old 09-12-2004, 04:54 PM
krichard
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
It is safe to run one bar with no fuel mods. Simply turn the CO up a tad.
Sorry to be so ignorant about this but how do you adjust the CO? Is it something I can adjust and measure at home or do I need to take it to a shop? I am definately interested in ordering a 1 bar spring. Where can I get one? Is replacing the spring an easy DIY? I tinker around on my '88, but I know nothing about turbos so there will definately be a learning curve here.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:51 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

You can take it to a shop or for a couple hundred bucks you can get a Gas Tester Pro. It is a small CO reader and works well. You will want to unplug the 02 and leave it unplugged then adjust the CO to apx 3%. The adjustment is done from the top of the fuel head. Basically between the fuel head and plate behind the air box will be a stub that is coming out of the assembly. It is spring loaded. Inserting a 3 mm allen in to the stub then gently pushing down while turning the spring loaded stub will engage with the adjustment on the plate. A pinch of a turn will change the CO a lot so have a meter in the tail pipe. A 1/4 turn can change the CO almost 6 points. Sometimes more.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:41 AM
964turbo
Instructor

Hi Stephen, I have 1 bar along w/header mods and I set my
CO @ 3%, if I add the K27HR turbo, do I need any feul mod
for that ?
Old 09-13-2004, 10:59 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Kerry, welcome to the world of "Turbo's". You picked a fun car.

As far as what mods to do, the list is HUGE. It actually makes it a little difficult to give advice because there are so many options for this type of car. So far, all advice is excellent. There is a lot of experience on this board (ie...great place to ask questions).

For myself, I can only comment on a few upgrades. Spicifically the exhaust and suspension. This is where I would spend my money. As someone commented before, I would recommend headers. You won't make much more top end HP but will noticably drop spool time. The power delivery is MUCH better. Makes for a more fun car. Then go to suspension (stock is very soft). If your looking for a good bang for the buck put in the H&R turbo springs. Good compromise for mostly street and some track driving. With these upgrades you can run circles around just about every other Porsche out there (ask me how I know ;-)

Anyway, your in to the fun part of owning a Turbo....UPGRADES!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase. Any chance we can get some pics and info about your new toy.

As far as best upgrades for the buck. I would start with the suspension. These cars were set up to meet the 5 mph bumper requirements of the time and being so high off the ground they really loose out on handling and feel. A nice set of Bilstein HD's and H&R springs will improve the ride and the handling. (best overall improvement, you will need to decide what application you will be using your car for before commiting to spring rates or shocks) About $2k on up. Next I would go with a nice set of headers, GHL, B&B etc.(another $2.5k) This will reduce turbo lag which you will appreciate. If you are looking for quick cheap power the 1.0 or .9 bar spring will help but IMO I would get used to the car and do the spring later with the HF turbo. The transforamtion is unbelieveable and the lag is reduced substantially.

Now that we have exceeded your budget. We can work on next years allowance. (I love spending other peoples money) Since you already have the cat bypass pipe you are set to go there. Although I have chosen to keep mine in place due to inspection issues. I highly recommend the HF K27. By far the best improvement you can make (although not cheap). I would only do this after the headers are in place. The HF rounds out the entire power band and gives you high end power that these cars are seriously lacking otherwise.

From there you can think about things like Short shifters, Three spoke steering wheels etc. As far as rims are concerned the 3.6 turbo rims are very pricy you can try the RH wheels. They are visual copy of the 3.6 rims with aluminum instead of Magnesium centers and do not have the "Speedline for Porsche" decal but the savings is considerable and the look is great.

Keep us informed of your progress and happy motoring.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:49 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Typically the fuel head mod comes into play when you top the scales of the CIS with cams. You really should be fine until then.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am surprised JBH hasn't chimed in yet. He has the identical car/color. I have done the headers, Suspension,( H& R coil overs progressive and HD Bilstiens, dropped to Euro ride height,light weight fly wheel and clutch, no cats and 1 Bar boost spring. I was going to change the Turbo but held off and quite honestly have enough fun with the stock turbo. The changes I made gave a significant uplift to reaction and performance. I've been looking for 3.6 rims, but you will be looking at $3500 easy by the time you put rubber on them!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:48 AM
krichard
Instructor

So here is my current plan:
1. Drive car for couple of days to get used to it
2. install cat bypass (already in garage waiting for install!!!)
3. install 1bar spring get CO adjusted to 3, get car dyno'd
4. drive for a couple weeks and enjoy
5. get suspension.
6. drive car for a couple weeks and enjoy a little more
7. get wheels
8. drive car for a good while and really enjoy it
9. get headers
10. wipe perma grin off face...
Old 09-16-2004, 05:04 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krichard
So here is my current plan:
1. Drive car for couple of days to get used to it
2. install cat bypass (already in garage waiting for install!!!)
3. install 1bar spring get CO adjusted to 3, get car dyno'd
4. drive for a couple weeks and enjoy
5. get suspension.
6. drive car for a couple weeks and enjoy a little more
7. get wheels
8. drive car for a good while and really enjoy it
9. get headers
10. wipe perma grin off face...
No not yet
11. drive the car for another few weeks
12. get a kokkelin bigger intercooler
13.wipe the big grin and drive the car some more
14.get K27HF turbo
15.the grin you have now should last you for good few years

Quick Reply: Just purchased '91 turbo what mods first?