964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

turbo snap crackle pop exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 09:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts
Default turbo snap crackle pop exhaust sound

For my stock 1991 turbo i decided to play with the exhaust.
I did a Wastegate bipass, cat bipass and j pipe to delete muffler.

The car is obnoxious. Too loud and makes snap crackle pop sound.

What would cure the snap crackle pop? Install factory wastegate muffler? Or would the center cat eliminate that sound?
Or do i have to install factory muffler to rid the snap crackle pop?

looking for the best combination of stock and aftermarket delete.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:06 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Hard to make these sound good. The WG pipe is only loud under full boost the cat would be the best solution or you could add a small silencer or muffler. The gurgle is the excess fuel on lift off and is something that I like but I agree no cat or muffler is too loud.
Old 09-26-2023, 11:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

thanks, i will try the cat back in place.
I will still use the WG bi-pass and J pipe muffler delete and see what result i get.

One thing i noticed with full delete was the soot on my rear bumper from the tail pipe. Is that normal with delete?
Old 09-27-2023, 03:44 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I also tried different variations. Soot never appeared on the bumper. Either the engine is generally running too rich or the auxillary air flow in coasting mode does not work.

I found the best compromise for myself with a 200 cell catalytic converter and the original rear muffler. In addition, the waffle plate has been removed from the left tailpipe, but this only has an effect when the WG is open.

The 200 race cat is significantly less restrictive than the standard cat and that has two effects: it is louder than the original and it causes less backlog after the turbo. Together with the rear silencer, the combination is socially acceptable, legal and sounds significantly better.

Fritz

Last edited by fritz k.; 09-27-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:35 PM
Mauri
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case that crackle and pop sound from excess fuel did almost disappear just by the original muffler, so replacing the j pipe should do the trick if you want to get rid off that sound.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:28 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

I bolted in a fabspeed cat bypass and it's not bad. Everything else stock. I might switch to Fritz' setup tho because eventually I'll need to pass a smog check again.

Fritz - is it simple to remove waffle from the wastegate pipe? Have never looked inside it. Also is yours cargraphic or?

Last edited by wicks; 09-27-2023 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:36 PM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I also think its best configuration, 100cpsi from Emitec.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wicks
I bolted in a fabspeed cat bypass and it's not bad. Everything else stock. I might switch to Fritz' setup tho because eventually I'll need to pass a smog check again.

Fritz - is it simple to remove waffle from the wastegate pipe? Have never looked inside it. Also is yours cargraphic or?
I originally had fabspeed cat bypass and everything else stock. It had good WOT sound but still felt "choked".
Nice however.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

would the soot be from the pollution equipement i deleted?

Originally Posted by fritz k.
I also tried different variations. Soot never appeared on the bumper. Either the engine is generally running too rich or the auxillary air flow in coasting mode does not work.

I found the best compromise for myself with a 200 cell catalytic converter and the original rear muffler. In addition, the waffle plate has been removed from the left tailpipe, but this only has an effect when the WG is open.

The 200 race cat is significantly less restrictive than the standard cat and that has two effects: it is louder than the original and it causes less backlog after the turbo. Together with the rear silencer, the combination is socially acceptable, legal and sounds significantly better.

Fritz

Old 09-28-2023, 02:05 PM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Wicks,
removing the waffle tray is a bit tricky because it is welded in several points and is difficult to get to.

The catalytic converter is not from Cargraphic, we bought a 200 cpi matrix (less than 200 bucks) and welded it into an existing straight pipe.
Emmission test under EU standards is no problem.

Fritz

Last edited by fritz k.; 09-28-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:24 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Hey fellow enthusiasts,

I wanted to share my experience with my 1992 964 Turbo and some exhaust modifications I tried out:

Initially, I went without a catalytic converter, using a Fabspeed test pipe and no muffler along with a J pipe. Result? It was way too loud, with shotgun-like pops – quite an experience, but not sustainable.

Next, I removed the wastegate catalytic converter and gutted it to see if it would improve the sound and performance.

Then, I decided to remove the J pipe and installed the stock muffler, pairing it with the Fabspeed catalytic converter pipe. However, this setup wasn't quite loud enough for my taste.

Finally, I reinstalled the factory catalytic converter, kept the gutted wastegate muffler, removed the main muffler, and stuck with the J pipe coming from the factory catalytic converter. The result? A winner! The sound was just perfect – a delightful burble on deceleration and a satisfying cold start sound. Surprisingly, I didn't notice any significant power difference, and now my 964 Turbo sounds like a classic air-cooled Porsche turbo.

I wouldn't change a thing about this setup – it strikes the perfect balance for that distinctive air-cooled turbo Porsche sound.

Cheers!

Old 05-08-2024, 09:01 PM
tripleJGTR
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Hey fellow enthusiasts,

I wanted to share my experience with my 1992 964 Turbo and some exhaust modifications I tried out:

Initially, I went without a catalytic converter, using a Fabspeed test pipe and no muffler along with a J pipe. Result? It was way too loud, with shotgun-like pops – quite an experience, but not sustainable.

Next, I removed the wastegate catalytic converter and gutted it to see if it would improve the sound and performance.

Then, I decided to remove the J pipe and installed the stock muffler, pairing it with the Fabspeed catalytic converter pipe. However, this setup wasn't quite loud enough for my taste.

Finally, I reinstalled the factory catalytic converter, kept the gutted wastegate muffler, removed the main muffler, and stuck with the J pipe coming from the factory catalytic converter. The result? A winner! The sound was just perfect – a delightful burble on deceleration and a satisfying cold start sound. Surprisingly, I didn't notice any significant power difference, and now my 964 Turbo sounds like a classic air-cooled Porsche turbo.

I wouldn't change a thing about this setup – it strikes the perfect balance for that distinctive air-cooled turbo Porsche sound.

Cheers!
Willing to share some videos? Would love to hear this setup!
Old 05-09-2024, 06:05 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

It's subjective. Personally I like the cat bypass (I have a Fabspeed) with factory muffler. Gutted wastegate muffler and baffles removed from the tip. Sounds great - get plenty of compliments (not that I care about that but it's not just me who thinks it sounds good). Nice deep sound. Definitely different than how a 930 with RarelyL8 exhaust sounds tho.

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 05-10-2024, 09:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

I also like the gutted WG cat. Off boost the car has nice burble nothing over the top but at WOT it screams as it should.

Quick Reply: turbo snap crackle pop exhaust sound