Fan squeek in dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:05 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fan squeek in dash

Sorry i'm sure this has been addressed but my searches didn't bring up a match for the 964. I am sure it is the ac blower fan as it can be diminished by adjusting the fan speed. Question is how hard is it to get to the fan and whats the best route?
Thanks for any input.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I wish I could say it was easy. I have the same problem. It is a lot of work removing multiple parts to do a simple fix. I decided to live with it for now instead of ripping the entire trunk apart to get to it. I believe Adrians book addresses it.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:46 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobalt,
The fan in my red 964 doesn't squeak. I have been trying to tell you Porsche used all the good parts on the red cars and left the defective ones to cobalt blue cars because they knew only female senior citizens would be buying the cobalt cars, and they wouldn't hear the squeaks and rattles.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too get squeeks from my dash, have no idea whats making the noise but its irritating the hell out of me every time I drive over a bump or something hard on the road.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:11 AM
mturo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same problem no solution ....
Old 05-28-2004, 03:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally posted by Les Quam
Cobalt,
The fan in my red 964 doesn't squeak. I have been trying to tell you Porsche used all the good parts on the red cars and left the defective ones to cobalt blue cars because they knew only female senior citizens would be buying the cobalt cars, and they wouldn't hear the squeaks and rattles.
Les, your killing me.

Well I just got back from Rick Deman's shop. Lots of toys and the nicest and most knowledgeable people I have met in this business in a long time.

We ran the Granny mobile on the dyno. Well Granny is going to be flying because she shows 400+ hp at the Flywheel with a little less in torque. Granny needs to get her eyes and hearing checked if she is going to drive this bad boy. Rick was kind enough to say that he felt it was one of the nicer turbos he had ever driven. Which I hear are words he doesn't say to readily.

The bad news was I found out that the car was set up all wrong Air Fuel ratio was all out of wack and the 1.0 bar spring supposedly put in by the PO was a factory spring. So I guess it will be back up to Deman Motorsport in a couple of weeks to install the 1.0 bar spring and possibly a set of GHL headers to get rid of the annoying leak in the B&B's. It may be time to drop the engine and go with a set of 964NA cams too. But I'll have to sleep on that.

So, I will stick with my noisy fan and my Cobalt Blue granny mobile for now.

Maverick,

If you would like I can send you the info from the factory manuals on the replacement of the fan. Just PM me and let me know if you need it to attempt the fix.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The two fans that squeak the most are the LH blower fan and the temp sensor fan.
You can simply remove the temp sensor fan assembly from the back of the aircon/heating control unit and either lubricate thebearings or leave it off.
The LH blower fan is a little harder. You need to access the fan and lubricate the bearing using a long needle syringe.
Locations and access data etc is all contained in my book.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-29-2004, 06:46 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the help guys.
Adrian , I have your book what page is it on? I see a reference to it on page 335 but no specifics.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2004, 06:10 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Maverick,
The data is contained throughout the book. There are pictures of all the bits and pieces. Chapter 7 contains the most if memory serves me correctly.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: Fan squeek in dash