Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Removing rusted /broken studs in the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 01:06 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Would looking at pictures of the bracket by itself help?

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...&bih=821&dpr=2

Also one for sale there on eBay... seems like you're going to want to take everything off anyway / do some rust remediation then put things back together with some new parts.
Old 06-30-2023, 02:27 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks, if the spacer is not threaded i can get a sliding hammer on it and pull it off as all other sides are free
Old 06-30-2023, 05:08 PM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

The bracket is attached with two screws at the bottom and one at the top left. each of the screws which goes through the motor sword and is screwed to the motor housing.
The picture is from 3.6 but 3.3 should be identical.
Fritz

Old 07-01-2023, 04:19 AM
911 2
Burning Brakes

I have managed to remove the bottom two screws, the top screw the head sheared off upon removal, I expected the bracket to then come straight off but it us still hel tightly by the top bolt.
if the soccer at the rear is not threaded the bracket should now come straight off but it is still mounted tight
motor housing, are you referring to the engine block
Old 07-01-2023, 05:08 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think you just have the remnants of the bolt/stud threads holding the L bracket on. There's nothing but those three bolts into the engine block and the four studs in the turbo housing.

With those removed it should just come off, but I suspect the remains of those threads have it jammed.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:17 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

I still have my turbo and support bracket off the car right now:

The L bracket just fits straight over the studs, it's not threaded, and the spacer on the top of the three engine block holes is not attached.
Old 07-01-2023, 05:26 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

I don't know how far you are going with the exhaust removal, but based on the condition of what you have shown so far, your next problem is likely to be the waste gate studs and nuts, if they are anything like those on the back of your turbo, they are likely to be almost none existent and you will have the same issue.

Ask me how I know....

Old 07-01-2023, 06:34 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Yes, engine housing means engine block.

Your problem is the spacer piece (welded tube) on the back of the bracket. Your torn screw is stuck in it and therefore the clip cannot be pulled out upwards. Without causing damage, the clip can only be removed if you were able to pull it backwards, so the advice is to remove the exhaust system.

Fritz

Old 07-01-2023, 08:11 AM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Fritz which clip are you referring to please and how does the bracket relate to removing the exhaust, as currently the bracket is free at the turbo end, x2 lower bolts at the bottom free , there is no connection with the exhaust at this point

I do not understand what is holding the bolt to the spacer if the spacer is not threaded
Old 07-01-2023, 08:19 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911 2
I do not understand what is holding the bolt to the spacer if the spacer is not threaded
It's the cut studs/bolts. Where they have been cut they will have flared slightly and it's probably just the top few mm that is holding the L bracket to the turbo and to the spacer tube to the engine block.

It's also possible that the shank of the studs has rusted to the point where they have expanded and are gripping the (non threaded) holes in the L bracket. I've seen that happen before.

There's definitely nothing else holding that bracket on. So it can only be the remnants of those fasteners.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:11 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Originally Posted by 911 2
Fritz which clip are you referring to please and how does the bracket relate to removing the exhaust, as currently the bracket is free at the turbo end, x2 lower bolts at the bottom free , there is no connection with the exhaust at this point

Clip is another word for bracket.
The two screws below are loose, but the upper left bolt (with the head torn off) are still stuck in their entire length in the spacer tube and with the thread in the motor housing. The remainder of that screw in the tube blocks the bracket from being pulled out upwards. You can only pull it away in the axial direction of the screw, which means backwards. But the exhaust pipe to the turbo is in the way.

Fritz

Last edited by fritz k.; 07-01-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:12 AM
911 2
Burning Brakes

The 4 studs in the turbo are definitely not protruding, the bracket at this point has a few mm gap all the way around it
Therefore it must be the top bolt maybe seized to the inside of the spacer.
I tried a slide hammer but it did not move also didn't want to damage the block.
Heated it, then sliding hammer, still no movement
Old 07-01-2023, 09:27 AM
fritz k.
Pro

It's possible that it's also rusted in the spacer tube, but if it looks like it's in the tube with almost its entire length, you can't get it out, even if it wasn't rusted.

Old 07-01-2023, 12:05 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

I also think its rusted in the tube, any ideas, i did a few slides on the hammer but nothing so abandoned that,
Does the bolt thread into steel or aluminium

What a nightmare, only wanted to weld in a boss for the wideband

1. I could drill and try a stud extractor
2. maybe drill the centre of the bolt and keep going up drill sizes
3. try welding a nut
Old 07-01-2023, 01:19 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

It's into the alloy of the engine block. The threaded hole is at the 9 o'clock position on the crank pulley:

I don't think it has a steel insert, I think the threads are directly into the alloy... But I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Removing rusted /broken studs in the turbo