Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

PDK in 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 10:50 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Again listen to yourself jack ***. Some of us know how to drive a manual perfectly fine and can't due to medical reasons. So F off.

Originally Posted by cobalt
What is your problem!! If you can't understand the allure of a manual and the lack of interaction the PDK has buy one and live with it. But no need to be insulting. My son is 23 and works for Porsche. He literally drives everything from 912's to GT2RS's all day long 6 days a week and can't stand the pdk cars. He has a modified 981 Cayman S and has a lot less HP than most of the GT4's he is driving with using PDK's and dusts the doors off them in his manual trans car. The only cars faster are the GT3's with PDK and it isn't from skill but HP plain and simple.

So tell me why can't you have fun and have a more involved experience instead of just playing a video game?

I have more fun driving my 964 **** Box with half the HP than most cars on track these days and although my lap times are slower I am usually faster in the turns. The modern cars with all their nannies has convinced so many that they are good drivers without them realising how dangerous they are.

I have driven the newer cars on track and I am faster but have much more fun driving this. It is raw and exciting and bites you when you screw up instead of saving your ****.

This is my sons car and he is lightning quick in it. A manual and he would have it no other way. Even he would prefer to drive my 964 but my wife drives it with me. He hopes to enjoy it soon on track and would take my turbo over any car porsche has ever produced and yes it is a manual.

If PDk was so perfect why is Porsche introducing cars like the new club coupe which is a turbo with a manual for the first time in how many decades?

Look at all the articles in car and driver and other magazines these days. "Driver of GT40 crashes because he wasn't used to a manual" Seriously!!!. Learn how to drive and not just drive fast.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by thuggo
Again listen to yourself jack ***. Some of us know how to drive a manual perfectly fine and can't due to medical reasons. So F off.

Wow what is your problem? Physical issues make a difference no doubt. Maybe if you mentioned that initially instead of attacking us for our beliefs you will realise we are all friends here. One of my best friends drives a 964 tip due to a motorcycle accident costing him his left leg so he can't drive manual. He wishes he could drive a manual but can't. I have no issue with the tip it is a decent enough trans common on many BMW's with some Porsche mods. When manually shifted it can be a lot of fun and tracked. It actually pulls like a freight train and is adequate.

If you need to drive PDK that is up to you but your comments here are both unnecessary and unwarranted. If you need to insult to get your point across who is the jack ***???

As far as Bob's America GS, Bob is a friend of mine and I know the car quite well. It doesn't have a PDK but a stupidly expensive racing Tip trans. It will not upshift for you and requires you to shift in all gears but it is not a double clutch PDK trans. I see PDK transmissions blow up all the time and have helped replace a number of them on tracked cars.
The following users liked this post:
Max964t36 (07-20-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 11:26 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Again read your own comments for attacking the guy who started this with your "only real drivers drive manuals" that is exactly what you are saying bud.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Wow what is your problem? Physical issues make a difference no doubt. Maybe if you mentioned that initially instead of attacking us for our beliefs you will realise we are all friends here. One of my best friends drives a 964 tip due to a motorcycle accident costing him his left leg so he can't drive manual. He wishes he could drive a manual but can't. I have no issue with the tip it is a decent enough trans common on many BMW's with some Porsche mods. When manually shifted it can be a lot of fun and tracked. It actually pulls like a freight train and is adequate.

If you need to drive PDK that is up to you but your comments here are both unnecessary and unwarranted. If you need to insult to get your point across who is the jack ***???

As far as Bob's America GS, Bob is a friend of mine and I know the car quite well. It doesn't have a PDK but a stupidly expensive racing Tip trans. It will not upshift for you and requires you to shift in all gears but it is not a double clutch PDK trans. I see PDK transmissions blow up all the time and have helped replace a number of them on tracked cars.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:28 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 311 Posts

You mad, bro?
The following 3 users liked this post by Metal Guru:
heliolps2 (05-03-2022), ianbsears (07-12-2022), Max964t36 (07-20-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 11:30 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
You mad, bro?
LOL na, just pointing how much of an elitest douche you guys are.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Again read your own comments for attacking the guy who started this with your "only real drivers drive manuals" that is exactly what you are saying bud.
No and if the OP has issue with what I am saying he can point that out. We are all quite civilized here. You seem to be a bit angry for a 42 year old. This is an open forum and we can all discuss our opinions but name calling is unnecessary and childish.

It seems you have issues that can't be settled here or by installing a PDK. I might suggest some medical attention or better yet there are a lot of people on BaT that would appreciate your comments.
The following 3 users liked this post by cobalt:
heliolps2 (05-03-2022), ianbsears (07-12-2022), Max964t36 (07-20-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 11:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

As they used to say the pot calling the kettle black.
The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
heliolps2 (05-03-2022), ianbsears (07-12-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 01:27 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

WOW !
This went sideways.
The following 2 users liked this post by heliolps2:
ianbsears (07-12-2022), Max964t36 (07-20-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 07:41 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 311 Posts

Feel free to not post here any more then. I get the impression you only came here to pick a fight anyway.
The following 3 users liked this post by Metal Guru:
heliolps2 (05-04-2022), ianbsears (07-12-2022), Max964t36 (07-20-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 05:11 PM
andy928
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

It as been done before, The Sultan’s of Brunie Porsche 964 3.6 turbos with the X88 pack were all delivered with tiptronic gear boxes, when they were bought to New Zealand where they were converted to manual before they were sold.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy928
It as been done before, The Sultan’s of Brunie Porsche 964 3.6 turbos with the X88 pack were all delivered with tiptronic gear boxes, when they were bought to New Zealand where they were converted to manual before they were sold.
Do you have any documentation on this? There were only 3 X88 package cars with option code C99 Diverse country that would qualify and one X88 RHD 3.6T sold as C31 Saudi Arabia. The RHD 3.6T was a Sultan of Brunei car that we know well here. It was a car that was owned by rennlister Turbo Johnny and recently sold by Jenson Button. There is no info on this being a tip car converted to manual. It would be interesting to know but I believe the info you have is incorrect and contradicts the factory documentation I have. Also a tip can easily bolt up to any 964/993/996 mezger engine the OP was asking about PDK.

This was Turbo Johnny's car, don't believe what you read there where more than one 3.6T painted in Horizon Blue but is probably the only RHD.

​​​​​​https://www.autoevolution.com/news/j...11-168204.html
Old 07-12-2022, 05:55 PM
andy928
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

I will go through some old photos as i looked at buying one when they were first bought into New Zealand, so if i still have them.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:40 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andy928
I will go through some old photos as i looked at buying one when they were first bought into New Zealand, so if i still have them.

Please do because this is contrary to the factory documentation I have and I know the X88 car Button sold was never a Tip. I have been researching these cars for over 20 years and I learn something new everyday but I am surprised this would be the first I heard of this. This would require a rewrite to everything out there.

I do find it interesting that they would use a ZF trans commonly used in the base 90's BMW's with some low torque add ons in an X88 turbo. They would not install cruise control in a turbo because they couldn't control the boost not sure how a tip and turbo could even function together or hold up to the torque.

To fit a tip to a turbo would command a lot of custom parts and huge expense. Not that Brunei money couldn't buy it. They would be worth a lot today if they were original but I suspect it never happened.

I doubt this trans can't handle the torque of the turbo.

Old 07-20-2022, 07:50 AM
Max964t36
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

By throwing the necessary amount of money, (almost) everything is technically feasible but the question remains: why?

Quick Reply: PDK in 964