Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo market

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 12:57 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll be very upfront in that I've been offered $125k and turned it down. Call me crazy but find me one for $125k like mine and I'll buy it. A few months ago Orbit racing performed a full PPI on the car for a buyer at that price and they were extremely impressed with the car. My gut was telling me no and after some back and forth I walked. The market for a lot of collector cars is very fluid and what was a good/expensive price a few months ago is considered cheap now. Look at the 997 GT3 market for example. In the end, I have way too much invested both financially and emotionally to sell unless the offer is compelling. As things go these cars will not be worth less in the future especially as you see prices for nice NB 964's creeping up to these numbers.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

This ^
I think we've passed through the $120k barrier for good cars.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
I'll be very upfront in that I've been offered $125k and turned it down. Call me crazy but find me one for $125k like mine and I'll buy it. A few months ago Orbit racing performed a full PPI on the car for a buyer at that price and they were extremely impressed with the car. My gut was telling me no and after some back and forth I walked. The market for a lot of collector cars is very fluid and what was a good/expensive price a few months ago is considered cheap now. Look at the 997 GT3 market for example. In the end, I have way too much invested both financially and emotionally to sell unless the offer is compelling. As things go these cars will not be worth less in the future especially as you see prices for nice NB 964's creeping up to these numbers.
I agree. I cant see why a no story right color and milage car be all of 150k at some point.

Old 11-07-2020, 05:52 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

there is no market for this cars. if you have a good example and do anything needed you will finally loose no money. thats it. this is way more than most other collector cars - but no way to earn money at all. there is some flipppers and dealers that do so. but for the rest of us it is only a cost free hobby.

bought mine at 45thousand miles for about 34 thousand dollars 12years ago. since then i invested small money and big money. i could sell arround 75thousand (if i wanted) without loosing money. BUT: i would never be able to buy any similar car. and that is the point. value of money degreases over the last decade. so if you sell now you need to buy another car imediate - or add some money. .

to make a personal win ( buy a gt2 or ferrari or lambo) i had to sell arround 220000 - this will be the price in a few years. not now. and do not forget about rarity. over here in germany there is about 220 cars left. most sit on the shelf of dealers. a a new gt2, lambo or ferrary will never be thst rare. so on the long distance our cars are the one to keep. not only the value, rhe rarity, the image and the driving is outstanding.

my two cents
Old 11-15-2020, 01:44 PM
WGMN
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, even though I have to store it during the winter; every time I open my door to do some snow shovelings I feel happy to just seeing my 965 sitting in the garage.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:49 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
This ^
I think we've passed through the $120k barrier for good cars.
Does that include drivers? I’m curious what it costs now for a well maintained 3.3 driver. Not a collectible, something I could drive and enjoy with little things here and there to fix. Still 6 figures?
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 10:48 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Does that include drivers? I’m curious what it costs now for a well maintained 3.3 driver. Not a collectible, something I could drive and enjoy with little things here and there to fix. Still 6 figures?
$120k will buy you a so-so driver with a story now.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:37 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I haven't seen a decent 964T come up for sale in a very long time. I think that's the problem with all cars these days: supply and demand. Everyone is buying and nobody is selling.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:49 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

Peter from Germany put it very well above. I just re-read his post from November 7th (post 19), and all of what he says also applies & makes sense here in the US.

... and yes, I agree with the current market for these cars. And in my own situation, I own a US '91 3.3 - which even Cobalt & others who have seen my car, it is in very good shape even with the 80k miles. I have spent a LOT of money on the car over the 15 yrs of ownership, and mechanically & cosmetically it is in tip top shape (probably between a 1 and a 2 rating on the scale).

Soooo,... even though there is no "comps" on the market to compare against,... the estimated pricing becomes just speculation from those of us who own them + the dealers who are trying to sell one + what the buyers are willing to pay. And that LAST part is why there are none selling out there. I for one would not sell mine for less than $130k,.. and yet for $130K, you could get a high mileage (30k ish) miles) 2010 997.2 GT3 RS, or,... you could even buy a regular GT3 from 2010, and have money left over. and THOSE cars will be seeing value increases over the next 5 - 10 years!!.

So that means that people are not buying either. Once they research & determine what our cars might cost them,... they move on. They go buy something else.

So for someone like me who loves to DRIVE mine, and still puts a thousand+ miles on it every year,... with no plans to sell,... then in the end it just does not matter. I do not care what the current value of my car is (other than for insurance protection reasons). More than likely my car will pass down to my son who loves it. That is ALL that matters to me. I plan to drive my cars for as long as my body will let me.

my .02

Last edited by bweSteve; 12-20-2020 at 12:52 PM.
heliolps2 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 10:04 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I own a US '91 3.3 - which even Cobalt & others who have seen my car, it is in very good shape even with the 80k miles. I have spent a LOT of money on the car over the 15 yrs of ownership, and mechanically & cosmetically it is in tip top shape (probably between a 1 and a 2 rating on the scale).

Soooo,... even though there is no "comps" on the market to compare against,... the estimated pricing becomes just speculation from those of us who own them + the dealers who are trying to sell one + what the buyers are willing to pay. And that LAST part is why there are none selling out there. I for one would not sell mine for less than $130k,.. and yet for $130K, you could get a high mileage (30k ish) miles) 2010 997.2 GT3 RS, or,... you could even buy a regular GT3 from 2010, and have money left over. and THOSE cars will be seeing value increases over the next 5 - 10 years!!.

So that means that people are not buying either. Once they research & determine what our cars might cost them,... they move on. They go buy something else.

So for someone like me who loves to DRIVE mine, and still puts a thousand+ miles on it every year,... with no plans to sell,... then in the end it just does not matter. I do not care what the current value of my car is (other than for insurance protection reasons). More than likely my car will pass down to my son who loves it. That is ALL that matters to me. I plan to drive my cars for as long as my body will let me.
This is spooky...I could have wrote this ^ as this describes my car, my approach to ownership (14 years; maybe I should call it stewardship) and future plans as well.
I've thought of selling from time to time; dalliances with possible Ferrari ownership, but no Ferrari that I could afford would be as rare or as interesting to me as a 965.
I've spared no expense to make my car as perfect mechanically and cosmetically, also enhancing performance. Mine just turned over 80,000 miles also. My son says it is his inheritance, so I assume that I won't be ever selling.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 12-20-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:06 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Lol,.. I'm sure Paul, you & I are not the only ones. ... hence the trouble folks have, when coming upon their own decision to start searching for a 965.

964 Turbo's are such a unique moment in time, such a unique body shape, and imo truly have all the rawness of a 930, but with all the extra refinements that we know & love.

So what does a potential buyer do? ... If I were a buyer, and wanted a wide body turbo from that era,... I would look for a 930. There are a lot more of them, and the prices have finally stabilized.

just my .02
Old 12-21-2020, 09:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Sadly I haven't had mine out as much as I would like to but agree. What Steve says makes an interesting point. I know a lot of 965 owners like Steve, Paul and myself and quite a few others that just have no interest in selling. Plans will be to leave them to siblings one day hoping they will continue to appreciate them as we do. With so few out there and now so many planing to not let them go at any price, options are becoming more limited.

Lol,.. I'm sure Paul, you & I are not the only ones. ... hence the trouble folks have, when coming upon their own decision to start searching for a 965.

964 Turbo's are such a unique moment in time, such a unique body shape, and imo truly have all the rawness of a 930, but with all the extra refinements that we know & love.

So what does a potential buyer do? ... If I were a buyer, and wanted a wide body turbo from that era,... I would look for a 930. There are a lot more of them, and the prices have finally stabilized.

just my .02
I am not so sure I agree with this as much. Back in the 80's I looked at a lot of Porsche's and other marques mostly 930's though to help import to the US for the gray market scouring most of Europe for cars. The 930 was a beast compared to most anything else and that included all your pre 85 Lambo's and F cars etc. I had only interest in 2 other cars myself and they were race prepped. A wide body BMW M1 and a Ferrari 512LM. Both were out of my budget and could pick up 2-3 930's in pristine condition and were street legal cars for the $$. My experience taught me I could never warm up to the 930 and its 4 speed box for some reason. Instead I found a well tuned 74 3.0RS tribute with 3.2 Max Moritz built engine using all factory parts. It was a better driver in every respect. (boy do I miss that car) It was actually faster from 0-60 than a 930 but lost out side by side to the turbos torque. Two of my friends ended up with 930's we found and both were never satisfied reconstructing the cars into 934 and 935 clones. It wasn't until the 965's came to be that I warmed back up to the turbo cars. They still in one respect retain the visceral experience but a bit more refined with modern suspension, ventilation, brakes etc as Steve puts it (extra refinements). So equally similar and different at the same time. I think the 5 speed G50/52, suspension and brakes were what changed my opinion and to my eye the bumpers unlike the N/B cars were a plus over the old afterthought bellows bumper cars. I have been helping a friend with his 930 and nothing against them they are iconic for a reason but if you can afford a 965 and this is a forever car like it is for many of us and have driven both and decided on a 965, I would search for the best mechanically sound accident free 965 you can afford and plan to fix her up over time. My turbo was about as clean as I could find back in the early 2000's I got lucky with the color and happen to like blue's. The car is far better now than when I first picked it up. I think we are getting to the point that the cars that are well preserved will hold their value irrespective of miles. Some like original paint others prefer solid mechanicals but chose one and find car best suited to you and plan to fix it up over time. In the end IMO I think it would be worth it and you won't get hurt. Otherwise be ready to pay up when one that meets all your criteria hits the market but expect to compete with others for it.

I am seeing people offering 6 figures for SC cabs that are just raw shells now. They will plunk down the coin to buy the car and have it completely finished but will have a full documented build with an odo that reads 190k+ miles. If they are willing to put this much into an SC cab I suspect that a 965 in similar situation will bring quite a bit more irrespective what the odo reads. I don't think nostalgia is going away soon. In fact it seems to be on the rise as cars become more electrified and gadget oriented.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:01 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

It seems this line of thinking is going across nearly every car made that was a good, fun ride. Prices of just about anything from Fox bodied mustangs, NSX's, really any Japanese 80's-90's Turbo car, etc. have popped and inventories are low. I lament every car I've sold as each is worth a handsome amount more than what I sold them for and, while I can live with that, you cannot find a replacement if you decided to get back in. That's the part on my 965 that keeps me in it; the fact that I am not finding another one. All these cars are amazingly honest and analog when compared to virtually any car you can buy today. The weight and overall size of today's super/hyper cars is pretty pathetic. Not to mention playing engine sounds through the radio, electric steering, auto rev-matching, more electronic nannys than you can remember, etc. and I doubt I'll be buying anything new for a long time.

Last edited by bmwtmx; 12-21-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:55 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 184 Posts

just my .02
This basically what I am doing. I have been trying to get a 965 for 15+ years as they’ve been my dream car since they came out, but they’ve always been slightly out of reach. Maybe I could’ve stretched and got one in 2008, but I decided to wait a couple years until I was in a better place and wasn’t stretching, thinking prices would stay about the same... Fat mistake there.

I have an opportunity to get into a 930, but thinking about it and recent discussion on 965s in the 964 forum made me wonder if a 3.3 was in reach for a little more. However, if drivers are 120k, then I guess it’ll always be just a dream.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:36 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I agree with all the points you guys have made above. And I especially agree with Tony on the comparisons and justification.
BUT, I also feel that it is coming from a guy (who also like me) who already owns one.

Back when I was considering the purchase, I drove both the 915 930-trans in a 930, as well as the 5-speed G50 trans. Once I drove the G50 there was no looking back for me. I then drove 3 more before I finally found my car. And I did not have to drive any further than 50 miles from my house to go see & drive those cars. But back then, that's how many were out there to choose from. Definitely not the case now.

But I say all that, because I am not clear that the 4-speed 930 trans is completely out of the question for some guys that want the wide body style from back then. @Sirenty If I were you, I'd certainly go out & drive the 4-speed 930 (if you haven't done that already). Ya never know, the taller gears may make you happy. It certainly allows you more time to wring out every gear, verses more shifting that we get in the G50. But for me, I also knew that I really wanted to do most of my driving on the back twisty B roads. So the G50 was going to better suit my driving needs. But if you are not going to push your car hard, maybe the 915 would be fine,... and then you get all the rest of the ownership pleasure in owning the wide body from that era.

There is also the many discussions that have occurred over on the 930 RL threads, about migrating a 930 car to the G50 trans,... but from what I've heard, the different length bell housings can make that a difficult transition (& probably to the tune of another $8K investment). at that point, like Cobalt said, if you must have a 5-speed, then you might as well spend the extra cash & buy the 964 Turbo. It would certainly be worth more at the end of your ownership (even if like the rest of us, you pass it down to your next generation).

Anyway,... I just think there may be a stepping stone to getting to the final end-goal. Maybe a 930 now, gets you closer. Not perfect, or the ultimate end-goal,.. but we all know once you own it, and are willing to then sell-it to upgrade, our spouses are much more likely to agree when you only need to add another $20k or so to the pot, to trade up from a 930 to a 964 Turbo.

food for thought.
Sirenty (12-21-2020)

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo market