964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Fuel Accumulator Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:13 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Fuel Accumulator Bad?

Well after fixing way too many things I care to remember it seems I may have a bad fuel accumulator. The car takes a few cranks to start up when it's cold but it does start every time. Doesn't feel like it starts on all cylinders though as it cranks and then slowly comes to life. Once alive, no issues at all. But after driving and parking and then restarting it takes a long time to catch. I thought I was going to be stranded to be honest but it came to life and worked. After parking the car it smelled of gas but there were no leaks. Was going to replace the fuel accumulator but I don't know about the gas smell and if the cold start sequence is a problem. Advice?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the fuel accumulator 1000%

Has happened to me before, Your mechanic can test the system and watch the pressure as the minimum indicator is 1.4 bar after 20 minutes.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:44 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I thought it may be. Is that the reason for the gas smell too? Also, is there a DIY for replacing it? Not sure even where it is.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:46 PM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
I thought it may be. Is that the reason for the gas smell too? Also, is there a DIY for replacing it? Not sure even where it is.
I cannot recall seeing a DIY tutorial however in my case I replaced mine and the issue has not appeared again.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:08 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Agreed bad accum, had to do mine too last year, the rubber in them just doesn't last more than 25 years. It's behind the filter on left on engine bay, takes some crafty wrenching to replace. There are numerous instructions, just google.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:08 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Unless it’s ever been done - I’d also suggest either get the injectors cleaned by a pro or replace them. My car had a slight hard start (needed a little pedal on cold starts) before the engine rebuild and we had a local shop test and clean them. One was leaking and bad so it got replaced. The rest were fine and the cleaning got them more equal and a better pattern. Now it starts as it should.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:19 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Well it has to go in but not all that happy. Motor was out not too long ago and none of this was done and I think it should have been done. Looking through receipts seems like the fuel filter was replaced but not the accumulator.

Last edited by bmwtmx; 06-28-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:14 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

When replacing the accumulator I would assume removing the intercooler and feeling back there for the 2 screws behind it? Any other advice?
Old 06-29-2019, 10:22 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I did mine when the motor was out - so it was easier. Getting the two fuel lines lined up so they’d thread onto the accumulator was a small pain if I recall correctly. Are you doing the fuel filter too? Going off memory of how much space you’ll have to work with - wondering if it’ll help to remove the rubber intake elbow...?
Old 06-29-2019, 10:33 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Fuel filter was just replaced. I don't get why they wouldn't replace the accumulator. The issue I see is getting the 2 lines behind the accumulator off and back on. Very little room even with the intercooler off. May bring this in because I am dealing with fuel and the last thing I need is to dump a bunch all over my garage. Again!

Quick Reply: Fuel Accumulator Bad?