OEM RS Short Shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:59 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM RS Short Shifter problem

So I am having a Porsche RS short shift being installed on my 92 Carrera 2. The problem is that it's hanging below the bottom plate. Does this have to be modified? Or is there something overlooked on the install? Bought the kit from ECS Tuning.

Last edited by SA Mike; 06-16-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to flip these bushings over so the hole is on top.

I see your car is a 92 so you should have the bushing pictured. Early cars like mine, have a round bushings and the holes need to be opened up to fit the oval ones.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpar
You need to flip these bushings over so the hole is on top.

I see your car is a 92 so you should have the bushing pictured. Early cars like mine, have a round bushings and the holes need to be opened up to fit the oval ones.
It did come with oval bushings (the kit). Sorry I don't have pics. So this will bring the unit back underneath the panel and not like this.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The RS shifter pivot point is higher up on the shift lever, therefore the shifter moves everything downward relative to the shift tube location. Hence why you need to flip the orientation of those oval bushings in order to raise the shift tube and bring everything back in line (i.e. clear the tunnel cover).

You're lucky that your car isn't a 91 or older where instead of having an oval hole from the factory, you have a round hole that needs to be drilled upward to fit the newer oval bushing. Doing that job while laying on your back under the car is a bunch of suck.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vandit
The RS shifter pivot point is higher up on the shift lever, therefore the shifter moves everything downward relative to the shift tube location. Hence why you need to flip the orientation of those oval bushings in order to raise the shift tube and bring everything back in line (i.e. clear the tunnel cover).

You're lucky that your car isn't a 91 or older where instead of having an oval hole from the factory, you have a round hole that needs to be drilled upward to fit the newer oval bushing. Doing that job while laying on your back under the car is a bunch of suck.
Ok great thanks!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:31 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i thouht there was an factory rubber that you need to instal.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:11 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

How difficult is this installation?

How long does it take?

Any special tools required?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Super easy job if your car is late model with the oval shift tube bushings.

If you have a car with round shift tube bushings, then you have to drill and/or grind the shifter box in the tunnel to accept the later bushings. That's a pain.

Someone on here had a metal template they were loaning out that should make the job a lot less nerve racking. I didn't borrow it. I just did some measuring and made a template on cardboard using the oval bushings and it worked out fine.

You gotta get the car up really high to be able to work effectively down there. Still a beat down.

I've heard the OE plastic ball cups are super hard to snap into place. I used all FD Motorsport components with spherical ends so I didn't have to mess with those ball cups. The E-clips on the assembly can get fiddly too.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:26 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Not hard re 1990 car - search RS shifter install (simple hole saw and file, touch up with rust inhibitor/paint, use jack to pop cup back on (remember ball cup is 944 part i.e. way cheaper; or just weld a rose joint on instead - even better ala Rothsport golden rod)

BUT Beware!

Once you cut the body for the first time ...
and it works ...
oh so well..
and it improves things as much as a short shift does ..

a whole world of options will open to your fragile eggshell mind!

Prepare yourself for #964wesome

Quick Reply: OEM RS Short Shifter problem