Sponsored by:

Possible New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 AM
shupe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible New Owner

I am sorry that there are probably a million of these already in the forum but I'd like to ask myself. I am currently a c6 corvette owner, little to no mods on it. I am looking to get into a 964 because of SO many obvious reason. I was curious on people's past with upkeep on the vehicles, and how easy they are for a do it yourselfer.

I understand that at this point they are older vehicles and will require maintenance but is it over the top or are they more reliable than not reliable. It would be a take it out and cruise it kind of vehicle, not a hard track car or a daily driven car by any means.

Any info on these vehicles would be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:19 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Buy a good car. Pay more up front

They are very reliable and most can be done yourself.

parts not cheap but for general maintenance not too different than most cars.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:56 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

The cars are well built but they're old and despite your best efforts, it's a used car and you may not end up with the best example. Lots of folks overpay thinking more expensive is better only to end up having to dump a bunch of money into it anyway.

The community has a lot of knowledge. If you encounter a problem, chances are one of us has encountered it too and solved it already.

Objectively, it's gonna be inferior to a C6 at damn near everything.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

+1 - 964's are very reliable and can be maintained by the owner. I do. When looking at cars, focus on ones that have been well maintained. Ones with deferred maintenance are to be avoided. Catching up on a backlog of work can be expensive.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 AM
jgj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good thread because it has a great many posts about moving to air-cooled from other performance vehicles. You need to make sure you're moving from a c6 for the right reasons.
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/978814-walk-me-off-the-ledge.html
Old 03-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Buy a good car. Pay more up front

They are very reliable and most can be done yourself.

parts not cheap but for general maintenance not too different than most cars.
This. Best advice you'll get. You could also build 3 c6 into 1000whp monsters for what it costs to make any real power gains in a 964. Domestic owners have it easy.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a lot of trepidation myself. My advice, like others, Get the best car you can afford. Don't look for a cheap deal. You get what you pay for with these cars. The seller is just as important as the car. Try to find a private seller, someone who is an enthusiast. Someone who maintained it and did all mods you might want. Get all the books and read them before you buy. Then you will know what to look for. Also, get out to any local Porsche events and compare cars. I don't know where you are in the country, but Hershey, PA is coming up, and there are few places in the world where you will see more 911's in one place. The more you see, the more you will know what a good car looks and sounds like. As far as maintenance, if you have worked on cars in the past, you will not have a problem with these cars. Parts can be expensive, that is the only downside, but not prohibitive, that's why you find the best car up front, because if you don't, you will pay in the end. You are already in the best place, every answer to every question can be answered on rennlist or pelican forums.

Quick Reply: Possible New Owner