Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS / Singer Inspired Interior — Storage Options and Switch Relocations (Or Deletions)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:26 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RS / Singer Inspired Interior — Storage Options and Switch Relocations (Or Deletions)

As I'm taking apart my interior and preparing for new RS-style carpet from Lakewell (or maybe AppBiz if I decide that "regular" period-correct Silverknit is the way to go), I am contemplating various levels of stuff removal.

Of course, the factory RS / RS America 964's lost their rear sears and "normal' 911 door cards in lieu of lightweight carpet and RS door cards.

I think those are quite aesthetic choices (and necessary ones if fixed-back buckets are involved).

In this planning phase, the problem I keep running into is what to do about interior storage.

Let's say I do a center console delete and/or a lower dash delete. Great.

Minus the countless over-the-top man hours involved, I could achieve something in the spirit of what Singer has done:

A nice, open, minimalist cabin.

The only problems I see are these:
  1. Where the heck do I put my phone?
  2. Where do I put my wallet?
  3. Where do I put my proof of insurance and registration?
  4. Where do I put the owners manual?

Where could I put any of this stuff?

Additionally, where does Singer mount the (1) Door lock, (2) Warning light override, and (3) Spoiler control switches? Do they just omit them entirely?

(I can see that they mounted the hazard lights in between the ignition and light switch.)
Old 12-21-2016, 03:19 PM
Vancleef
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can answer some of the questions you've asked by the method I practice.

1. My phone usually sits in the passenger seat, under the e-brake, or in my lap. Sometimes under hard acceleration it goes between the crack(of the passenger seat) and falls into the back area though.
2. I put my wallet and sunglasses between the driver seat and door. There is a small little channel there perfect for small items.
3.My maintenance, registration, and such is in a zip lock folder on the floor in the back/ partially under the seat.(Insurance is on my phone as a PDF)
4.Sits with registration in zip lock folder.

My goal for interior is to add a pouch to the back of the seats to store all that stuff, and the wallet, sunglasses, etc on the side of the driver seat near the door.

I'm not sure where Singer has relocated those switches. I know they recreated a whole new wiring harness though so maybe its there, but hidden.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-21-2016, 03:20 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vancleef
I can answer some of the questions you've asked by the method I practice.

1. My phone usually sits in the passenger seat, under the e-brake, or in my lap. Sometimes under hard acceleration it goes between the crack(of the passenger seat) and falls into the back area though.
2. I put my wallet and sunglasses between the driver seat and door. There is a small little channel there perfect for small items.
3.My maintenance, registration, and such is in a zip lock folder on the floor in the back/ partially under the seat.(Insurance is on my phone as a PDF)
4.Sits with registration in zip lock folder.

My goal for interior is to add a pouch to the back of the seats to store all that stuff, and the wallet, sunglasses, etc on the side of the driver seat near the door.

I'm not sure where Singer has relocated those switches. I know they recreated a whole new wiring harness though so maybe its there, but hidden.

Hope this helps!
Great tips, all around.

I kind of wish the RS America back "shelf" thing was being [well] reproduced—that would work out nicely for most small items
Old 12-22-2016, 09:09 AM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about building a pocket in front of the passenger door in the footwear, I have a full rs interior and end up driving round with things wedged between my legs! I'm buying a pocket for my alfa, no glove box either, and will post some pictures. This will be easy to reverse if needed
Old 12-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

A pocket on the back of the sun visor, or behind the sun visor on the headliner??
Old 12-22-2016, 01:06 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche mania
How about building a pocket in front of the passenger door in the footwear, I have a full rs interior and end up driving round with things wedged between my legs! I'm buying a pocket for my alfa, no glove box either, and will post some pictures. This will be easy to reverse if needed
An idea!

Originally Posted by Earlydays
A pocket on the back of the sun visor, or behind the sun visor on the headliner??
This doesn't seem very clean to me.

Nobody reproduces the RS America cubby storage box thing, eh? LA Dismantler has one for—cough—$4000. Wow. haha.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:56 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniWonKanobi
Nobody reproduces the RS America cubby storage box thing, eh? LA Dismantler has one for—cough—$4000. Wow. haha.
The luggage dump? I'd be down for one if they were, ah, more reasonable.

Aside from Porsche Mania's footwell pocket suggestion, you could use a small leather pouch to tuck under the dash. Closable, removable (Velcro), and out of sight.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:15 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the RS door cars from appbiz with a pocket. Is great for phone, wallet, keys. One pocket on each door is more than enough. The manual stays at home.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:23 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deserion
The luggage dump? I'd be down for one if they were, ah, more reasonable.
Yup!

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I have the RS door cars from appbiz with a pocket. Is great for phone, wallet, keys. One pocket on each door is more than enough. The manual stays at home.
You know, I noticed those on some cars, but then not on others. Guess I need to make sure I get them with the little pockets.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:27 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I've never understood this. Take out the glove box then search for a solution to store stuff the glove box stored. Makes me LOL. You're not going to remove your glove box are you?

Don't get me wrong, I love the look, but that part, makes me chuckle.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:32 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by klokwerk
I've never understood this. Take out the glove box then search for a solution to store stuff the glove box stored. Makes me LOL. You're not going to remove your glove box are you?

Don't get me wrong, I love the look, but that part, makes me chuckle.
Agreed! Haven't removed anything yet. Just tearing out the carpet/rear deck from the back and working my way forward. Hard to make progress on weeknights (not enough time!).

I love the look, too, but then I think "I want a freaking glove box!"
Old 12-22-2016, 05:00 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

1) Where the heck do I put my phone? - Pant or jacket pocket
2) Where do I put my wallet? - Pant or jacket pocket
3) Where do I put my proof of insurance and registration? - Don't get pulled over -or- (I) tape an envelope with them under my Recaro SPG, passanger side)
4) Where do I put the owners manual? - Who uses this anyways?
Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of my favorite interior changes was removing the lower dash and glove box. Really opens up the interior. As to where to keep things, how much stuff do you actually have?
Phone is in my pocket, registration lives between the sun visor and headliner, owners manual in the frunk.

What I'm curious about is where singer sources their fabrics. I'm still searching for a unique fabric to redo my seat centers and door cards.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:50 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

They use the woven leather from Spinneybeck:
https://www.spinneybeck.com

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
One of my favorite interior changes was removing the lower dash and glove box. Really opens up the interior. As to where to keep things, how much stuff do you actually have?
Phone is in my pocket, registration lives between the sun visor and headliner, owners manual in the frunk.

What I'm curious about is where singer sources their fabrics. I'm still searching for a unique fabric to redo my seat centers and door cards.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:07 PM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Originally Posted by azander
1) Where the heck do I put my phone? - Pant or jacket pocket
2) Where do I put my wallet? - Pant or jacket pocket
3) Where do I put my proof of insurance and registration? - Don't get pulled over -or- (I) tape an envelope with them under my Recaro SPG, passanger side)
4) Where do I put the owners manual? - Who uses this anyways?

Originally Posted by Jjm4life

So every time you flip down the sun visor, your registration falls down?

I want to know what they do with all the switches that are normally in the center console.

Originally Posted by 02m2
They use the woven leather from Spinneybeck:
https://www.spinneybeck.com
Interesting.

Quick Reply: RS / Singer Inspired Interior — Storage Options and Switch Relocations (Or Deletions)