Sponsored by:

Momo wheel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 02:59 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Momo wheel conversion

I had the stock wheel pulled and had a momo wheel installed.
Noticed that the turn sig indicators don't automatically shut off after turn. Is this typical with the conversion or was it not done properly?
Old 11-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not typical. Something isn't right
Old 11-13-2016, 09:01 PM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a tooth on the backside of the hub adaptor that cancels the turn indicators. If installed backwards, this will not happen. It's been a number of months since I've done it myself, but I think it goes to the left side. Start with this post
Old 11-14-2016, 01:52 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Super helpful !! Thank you. Will give that a try.

Originally Posted by sooner964
There is a tooth on the backside of the hub adaptor that cancels the turn indicators. If installed backwards, this will not happen. It's been a number of months since I've done it myself, but I think it goes to the left side. Start with this post
Old 11-14-2016, 11:09 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 02m2
Super helpful !! Thank you. Will give that a try.
No problem! Additionally, the hub adapter should have a marking for "Top".

As an fyi while you're in there, something I noticed is that after a few months of use, I began to get a rather annoying scraping sound anytime I turned my wheel. At first I thought that perhaps I had not sanded the opening of the plastic turn signal assembly collars enough to allow proper clearance of the hub, but the scraping persisted with the collars removed. I also noticed a large amount of copper residue on the inside of the lower collar, which led me to believe it was the horn contact plate rubbing against the back of the hub adapter.

Digging around on the forum, I ran in to some folks experiencing similar issues, though in the 944 forum. Some suggestions were to use a lubricant on the horn contact, but to me that seemed to be only a temporary solution. Another person said that the turn signal assembly needs to be moved back just a little bit. There is a 10mm bolt on the bottom of the assembly that once loosened, allows the assembly to slide around on the steering shaft. I pushed it back and re-tightened the bolt. Took the car out for a spin around the block to ensure the horn was still working, turn signals cancelling, and the annoying scraping noise was no more! However, if you do adjust the assembly, be sure to keep it level or else the plastic collars will not go back on - the tolerances are that tight, haha! And of course they are, this is Porsche - German engineering at it's finest! Had to loosen the bolt again and re-adjust to level, even though I perceived it already was, though in reality it was probably a few degrees off level.

You may or may not run in to this issue, but just wanted to share what I learned.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:43 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Thanks..when we pull it off will defiantly look at that too.
I did drive for a couple hours on Sat and didn't notice and rubbing sounds.

Originally Posted by sooner964
No problem! Additionally, the hub adapter should have a marking for "Top".

As an fyi while you're in there, something I noticed is that after a few months of use, I began to get a rather annoying scraping sound anytime I turned my wheel. At first I thought that perhaps I had not sanded the opening of the plastic turn signal assembly collars enough to allow proper clearance of the hub, but the scraping persisted with the collars removed. I also noticed a large amount of copper residue on the inside of the lower collar, which led me to believe it was the horn contact plate rubbing against the back of the hub adapter.

Digging around on the forum, I ran in to some folks experiencing similar issues, though in the 944 forum. Some suggestions were to use a lubricant on the horn contact, but to me that seemed to be only a temporary solution. Another person said that the turn signal assembly needs to be moved back just a little bit. There is a 10mm bolt on the bottom of the assembly that once loosened, allows the assembly to slide around on the steering shaft. I pushed it back and re-tightened the bolt. Took the car out for a spin around the block to ensure the horn was still working, turn signals cancelling, and the annoying scraping noise was no more! However, if you do adjust the assembly, be sure to keep it level or else the plastic collars will not go back on - the tolerances are that tight, haha! And of course they are, this is Porsche - German engineering at it's finest! Had to loosen the bolt again and re-adjust to level, even though I perceived it already was, though in reality it was probably a few degrees off level.

You may or may not run in to this issue, but just wanted to share what I learned.

Quick Reply: Momo wheel conversion